• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do parents insist on bringing gifts when the invite says "No Gifts!"

Dont some of those MDCers live in unheated shacks with no hot water-living very primitively?

Are those "magic brownies" you guys are referring to?
;)

Dont some of those MDCers live in unheated shacks with no hot water-living very primitively?

Are those "magic brownies" you guys are referring to?
;)
From what I have read on there- and I do not belong to that site- they seem to think that living like Laura Ingalls is some romantic thing. They are nuts to the max. Some of the things they do are really sad because there are children involved. Oh- and yes, they are talking about magic brownies and they eat them while pregnant, nursing, or just plain hanging around "unschooling" their kids. It is sad and disgusting.

Santa is an icon of Christmas. BUT Christmas is a real holiday.
One could argue that Christmas itself is a made up holiday co-opted from a Pagan celebration. The modern day image of Santa Claus, the iconography if you will, was in fact created and nurtured as an advertisement. You can go back through history to when St. Nicholas was first mentioned, but the iconography is a rather modern creation and therein lies the irony.
Festivus, on the other hand, is something created by a group of writers for a sitcom--not an icon for it but the WHOLE concept!
Yes and we call our December celebrations Festivus because of that creation.

Hey, hey, hey... a little tolerance, please. Not every MDC poster is a wack job. I post there. :cutie:

Granted, I'm one of the most "mainstream" posters there. I like modern medicine and I don't eat organic. But I do breastfeed, sometimes co-sleep, selectively vaccinate and we do homeschool.

I have never, however, had a magic brownie. Right now a regular brownie sounds pretty good, though. :woohoo:

Without a doubt, this is one of the craziest threads I have ever read here. I'm confuzzled. :headache:

Do tell. How does one tweak the yukus? I'm curious.
You call out the 520s, the Hodges and other yukus of the world with 1,000s of post watching every thread someone posts and just shake your head by posting something you know they will run to post about and have fun at their expense because they bought something hook, line and sinker.

But other than the poster from Heidelberg, beautiful city by the way, no one can explain why a parent must bring a gift when the invite has indicated "No Gifts?" Can't you just respect the wishes of the invitee or just not show up if you refuse?

Yeah Missy, I don't get it anymore either. I'm right with ya there. :rolleyes:

DP and I are planning a limo ride to the Melting Pot for chocolate fondue for DD and six of her girl friends for her birthday. We got into a big discussion about putting No Gifts on the invitation since our child is certainly not for want.

We have been to other no gift parties and at almost every single one of them, almost every single kid but ours brings a gift. We have been told by other parents 'We just wouldn't fee right not bringing a gift.' We just respond that we like to follow the requests of the invitee.

So the question is, if the invite says no gifts do you bring no gifts? And if you do, WHY?

To be nice, we know that the child really does want a gift and are more than happy to purchase one.

But other than the poster from Germany, beautiful city by the way, no one can explain why a parent must bring a gift when the invite has indicated "No Gifts?" Can't you just respect the wishes of the invitee or just not show up if you refuse?

Germany is a city now? When did that happen??

You call out the 520s, the Hodges and other yukus of the world with 1,000s of post watching every thread someone posts and just shake your head by posting something you know they will run to post about and have fun at their expense because they bought something hook, line and sinker.

That is assuming they really bought it hook, line, and sinker. :goodvibes

OK, I had to post...how are you pronouncing "yukus" in your heads? I was originally thinking you-kooz (you know, like cuckoo), but with the word "festivus" being thrown around, I was thinking yuck-us (you know, like ruckus).

Also, I saw lots of reasons for bringing gifts. Maybe OP "didn't read the entire thread." It happens a lot here.

She never did answer me when I asked if she includes the word "please" at the end of her command, "No gifts". :rolleyes1

Since the OP's DP visits a mothering forum, I thought the OP was a male. But you never know.

One could argue that Christmas itself is a made up holiday co-opted from a Pagan celebration. The modern day image of Santa Claus, the iconography if you will, was in fact created and nurtured as an advertisement. You can go back through history to when St. Nicholas was first mentioned, but the iconography is a rather modern creation and therein lies the irony.

Yes and we call our December celebrations Festivus because of that creation.

Oh, brother. You still have not answered the original question about that. Do you call the whole month Fesitvus or one part of it or one day? Which holiday or holidays have you replaced with Festivus (I cannot believe I am even asking that question)?

You seriously have a holiday because it was created by the writers of a sitcom? Do you think there are anti-detite's too?

I know you are teasing. But, wasn't there a poster who (in a trip report or dinning report) insisted that you can only get authentic Mexican food (I think, it could have been a different county) in Mexico or the Mexican place in World Showcase? Something about them importing in Mexican meats and vegetables.

Your post just reminded me of that.

I remember that thread!:rotfl2::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter