• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do parents insist on bringing gifts when the invite says "No Gifts!"

I find it terribly ironic that people and the yukus are having an issue with a group of people who refer to their December celebrations with a term made up for a television show when I bet those same people who celebrate Christmas have no issue whatsoever using iconography associated with their holiday that was created by a SOFT DRINK giant for purpose of advertising.

:rolleyes::sad2::rolleyes:

Popular Misconception.

I find it terribly ironic that people and the yukus are having an issue with a group of people who refer to their December celebrations with a term made up for a television show when I bet those same people who celebrate Christmas have no issue whatsoever using iconography associated with their holiday that was created by a SOFT DRINK giant for purpose of advertising.

What IS yuku anyway?:confused3 You mentioned it before and I was thinking litle debbie but then I realized that is ho hos:rolleyes1

Yep, most people know Coke invented the version of Santa that is currently the norm. My kids could tell you that when they were 5. We still call it Christmas and not Cokemass though. Then again the way I love Coke maybe I should hcange the name:lmao: Joking. For my since we are not Christians (I take it you are not either) we celebrate that holiday as a fun way to celebrate, peace, love, joy and family togetherness. We also talk about the deeper meaning many people have for it and where many of the customs and traditions come from. We even have nativity sets. We just didn't go aorund changing any names:confused3

ETA--it appears i was wrong about--must tell the kids in the morning. The red and white suit was around as a standard at laest 4 years before the coke ad according to the Times article quoted on snopes. Thanks Andy! I learned soemthign new today.

Okay I just googled yuku. It is a "social netwoking forum":confused3 looks like a cross between facebook and the DIS without Disney (NOT a snack cake, oh well). Maybe it is somewhere else the OP posts:confused3 It took years to get me here and onto skype that is about as far as I go:rotfl2: I guess I have not made it into the 21st century yet.

Okay I jsut googled yuku. It is a "social netwoking forum":confused3 looks like a cross between facebook and the DIS without Disney NOT a snack cake, oh well). Maybe it is somewhere else the OP posts:confused3 It took years to get me here and onto skype that is about as far as I go:rotfl2: I guess I have not made it into the 21st century yet.
Yuku is a term for a forum where Carsthetoys is hosted. I was a frequent poster there until they started using it to co-ordinate dogpiling on posters they do not like in forums across the net like the DIS and a mothering forum DP used to frequent. They break the rules of most forums by attacking a poster they do not like instead of comment on a post they make. It is a pretty general term.

Sadly the yukus have no lives of their own but will frequently post that some other poster should get a life. It is very very sad.

But anyway, I am glad to see some people agree that if you put no gifts on an invitation, you should expect that people honor it.

ETA--it appears i was wrong about--must tell the kids in the morning. The red and white suit was around as a standard at laest 4 years before the coke ad according to the Times article quoted on snopes. Thanks Andy! I learned soemthign new today.
True, but is the coke driven iconography that is the standard that most use today and not the imagery from before then.

The point being the irony about festivus from people using that iconography.

Yuku is a term for a forum where Carsthetoys is hosted. I was a frequent poster there until they started using it to co-ordinate dogpiling on posters they do not like in forums across the net like the DIS and a mothering forum DP used to frequent. They break the rules of most forums by attacking a poster they do not like instead of comment on a post they make. It is a pretty general term.

Sadly the yukus have no lives of their own but will frequently post that some other poster should get a life. It is very very sad.

But anyway, I am glad to see some people agree that if you put no gifts on an invitation, you should expect that people honor it.

I admit it is well past midnight which is way past my bedtime (I stayed up to give DS meds which he can have here in just a couple of minutes) so my brain is fuzzy and becuase I can go to bed now I will check for an answer in the morning (assuming this thread is still here). I am not follwoing how a yuku has somethign to do with car toys:confused3 or how that has to do with the DIS or dog piling (which I am guessing is a term for a bunch of people disagree with someone?). And I really don't see what it has to do with this thread:confused3 Can you connect the dots for me pretty please? Again, it is probably my exhaustion and lack of experience doing social stuff online (I like researching trips and booking airfare and somehow I am very drawn to teh DIS, which started wit hresearching a trip) that makes this clear as mud for me and not you, but if you could put it in kindergarten terms I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I know you are teasing. But, wasn't there a poster who (in a trip report or dinning report) insisted that you can only get authentic Mexican food (I think, it could have been a different county) in Mexico or the Mexican place in World Showcase? Something about them importing in Mexican meats and vegetables.

Your post just reminded me of that.

That sounds like a great thread. I don't usually read trip reports or dining reports. I may have to start!:laughing:

True, but is the coke driven iconography that is the standard that most use today and not the imagery from before then.

The point being the irony about festivus from people using that iconography.

Santa is an icon of Christmas. BUT Christmas is a real holiday. People all over the world celebrate it for a multitude of reasons. Festivus, on the other hand, is something created by a group of writers for a sitcom--not an icon for it but the WHOLE concept!

I admit it is well past midnight which is way past my bedtime (I stayed up to give DS meds which he can have here in just a couple of minutes) so my brain is fuzzy and becuase I can go to bed now I will check for an answer in the morning (assuming this thread is still here). I am not follwoing how a yuku has somethign to do with car toys:confused3 or how that has to do with the DIS or dog piling (which I am guessing is a term for a bunch of people disagree with someone?). And I really don't see what it has to do with this thread:confused3 Can you connect the dots for me pretty please? Again, it is probably my exhaustion and lack of experience doing social stuff online (I like researching trips and booking airfare and somehow I am very drawn to teh DIS, which started wit hresearching a trip) that makes this clear as mud for me and not you, but if you could put it in kindergarten terms I would appreciate it. Thanks.

It's not just you. I couldn't make heads or tails of the whole yukus cars and dogpiling thing either. Of course I am not exactly a tech genius.

Christmas have no issue whatsoever using iconography associated with their holiday that was created by a SOFT DRINK giant for purpose of advertising.

Baloney

Santa Clause was around WAY before Coke.

My Gawd-what the heck did you study in the suposedly "self paid for" College education you have?
:confused3

Baloney

Santa Clause was around WAY before Coke.

My Gawd-what the heck did you study in the suposedly "self paid for" College education you have?
:confused3

Well, technically Santa ClausE was only around since 1994:rotfl2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OMG, was your DP an MDCer?:rotfl:

I was a frequent poster there until they started using it to co-ordinate dogpiling on posters they do not like in forums across the net like the DIS and a mothering forum DP used to frequent. They break the rules of most forums by attacking a poster they do not like instead of comment on a post they make.
Link? J/K! popcorn::

I think our new "friend" is taiking about the Site Which Must Not Be Named.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1828365

Interesting they used to be a poster there, but they now post here. Usually it's the other way around. ;)

Well, it's been fun. But I'm guessing we'll be locked now. Back to work. :laundy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter