Why Disney Bucks

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by tl_swift, Jul 10, 2007.

1. tl_swift

tl_swift Adventures are for those who love travel in the tr

I am curious why people would use Disney Bucks as opposed to dollars?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Kies99

Kies99 I Can has Cheezburger???

Why not use them? It's the "something different, something fun" factor. While we don't use them exclusively, we do load up on a bunch just for fun. They don't cost anything and you get "real" change back.

Also, they are great rewards for our kids leading up to the trip. They can earn them by doing stuff around the house.

4. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy Always Planning!

I get a mall gift certificate each quarter from work when I have perfect attendence. I go straight to the Disney Store to buy my Disney Dollars with that money. Since we go every 4 years if I am there everyday that is $400.00 in free money. Plus, if I get Disney dollars I can't blow the money on something else.

5. Rapunzel

Rapunzel Mouseketeer

I buy Disney Dollars everytime I find myself at the mall. Having that money already set aside for Disney is good for us. Plus its great for my kids. They have a sticker chart - after 10 stickers they get to choose a prize or a disney dollar to spend at Disney. So far the only thing they've picked are the disney dollars!

6. Kim1964

Kim1964 <font color=teal>Was intimidated by her bug, but d

Family members have given the kids Disney Dollars as gifts for birthdays and Christmas and they love it. They like getting different characters on them, and they like having their own money for the trip. DH and I like it because they can't really spend it anywhere else, so they still have it when the trip rolls around:).

7. mousefansmom

mousefansmom DIS Veteran DVC Gold

They are adorable and the kids love them!! My kids are more apt to think about giving them up to buy something silly than they are about actual cash.

Mousefansmom

8. Brian_WDW74

Brian_WDW74 <font color=red>Theme Parks Co-Moderator<br><font Moderator

The ATM machines at the parks charge transaction fees, so I buy Disney Dollars when I'm running low on cash. I buy them with my Disney Visa and make sure to pay off the balance when I get home. That way I don't incur any interest charges on the transaction. If I have any Disney Dollars left over at the end of my visit, I trade them back in for cash.

*Brian*

9. mom2prince&princess

mom2prince&princess Mouseketeer

The tooth fairy bring Disney Dollars to my son.

10. Bob NC

Bob NC DIS Veteran<br><font color="red">I am a trained pr

Isn't it obvious?

Because it gives people something else to *plan*.

11. dr&momto2boys

dr&momto2boys DIS Veteran

Now THAT is smart!

12. DISNEYRIFFIC

DISNEYRIFFIC Mouseketeer

Bob, that is so true!!!

13. DISNEYRIFFIC

DISNEYRIFFIC Mouseketeer

Oh yeah, one other thing. Disney Dollars can be traded in for a gift card, but you can't take several gift cards and turn them into one.

My family bought dollars and cards for our kids at Christmas. We wanted for each kid to just have 1 card to take. ( instead of an envelope with multipul dollars and multipul cards).

When we went to the store to trade them into one card each, we discovered that you can't roll them all into one card.

After pleading our case, and stading there with $500 of cards and dollars, the cast member did it anyhow. He said " It wouldn't be Disney if I sent you out of this store today with all of those envelopes."

I thought that was great, and it worked wonderfully for the kids to each have their own card, it make it so easy to keep track of how much was spent.

14. Reece7r

Reece7r Earning My Ears

I have not used Disney Dollars before and have a questions. Can they be used at food carts? Is there any where they can not be used at DW? Thanks for the info!! :goodvibes

15. Kies99

Kies99 I Can has Cheezburger???

As far as I know, they are good anywhere on property. I used them at that food cart/market in Liberty Square with now problem.

16. KJF

KJF <font color=blue>I remember thinking it was "cool"

Most of my reasons have been covered - gift for kids(in their easter baskets, b-days, etc), I get a "bonus" occaisionally that I need to submit receipts for to get the cash, so I pick up the dollars.

The other reason I've done it this time - Been using the Disney Visa card to buy them so that I have more dollars on my card to transfer to my rewards card before I go. Since the card is paid off monthly, it's extra money for me before my trip.

17. TiggerificTigger

TiggerificTigger Mouseketeer

I got my first Disney Dollars today w/ Cinderella! My boss gave each of us a gift card to a local chain of malls for Christmas. Unforunately, I don't live close to one. I went into the Disney Store today and asked if I could use it for Disney Dollars and they said yes. :thumbsup2 I have been carrying around that gift card for almost seven months now. I am glad to use it before they start charging fees. :upsidedow After see the Dollars, I can see why they would be great for kids. I even got excited. "But, I am too excited to sleep!" :banana:

18. dopey67

dopey67 Mouseketeer

This is how I save money every time I get paid I get maybe 20 to 50 in diseney dollars...Yes you can use them Every Where I have never had a problem I have even cashed them at the hotel for green cash. When my son was younger they made great gifts....:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

19. BethanyF

BethanyF DIS Veteran

I buy them whenever I have extra cash. Instead of putting real $ in my Disney bank, I put the Disney $. This way there is no way for me to 'just borrow a couple bucks' for something else.
    The money in that bank will be only for WDW and/or our cruise. So far I have $300 Disney Dollars and almost 18 more months to save. At the rate I am going I should have enough to cover all of our dining and most of our souveniers.

20. Chrissie-riel

Chrissie-riel proud member of Mickey Moms Club!

Ditto to everyone!!

We do the chore chart thing with our kids too. I always do Disney Dollars because they can only spend it at the parks (or the Disney Store). If I were to give my DS6 a "real" dollar for his chores, he would be begging me non-stop everyday to take him to Wal-mart and get a HotWheel car! No way!!

21. jackskellingtonsgirl

jackskellingtonsgirl <marquee><font color=deeppink>Jello Shot Chick</ma

I go to the Disney Store every week and buy Disney Dollars to set aside for our trip. (And there is ALWAYS a trip, so I go every week, year round.;) )

DS11 doesn't really care for the things in the Disney Store so I can give him Disney Dollars and know that he will only use them in the parks. If he has regular cash he spends it on video games or baseball cards.

I agree that if I have Disney Dollars I am not tempted to borrow from the envelope.:) On the rare occasions that I have had $$ left at the end of a trip I just put them back in the envelope when we get home and start saving for the next one!