• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why did you sell your DVC?

Why did you sell your DVC?

• Financial reasons

• Had too many points, sold one or more contracts but kept the other(s)

• Our vacation style changed

• To own at a different resort

• Didn't like the DVC program

Results are only viewable after voting.

utahkennedys

DIS Veteran
If you have sold one or more of your contracts, why? I was thinking today and wondering if people sell for financial reasons mostly (that is what I see a lot of posts about on this board), or if they want to change resorts, or some other reason? If it's another reason, can you please share? I am curious b/c I am wondering if we may sell down the road depending upon what happens.

We ended up with more points than our yearly vacation schedules allowed us to use, so some of the points had to go. We found ourselves booking 1 & 2-BR accomodations just to use up our points for the year and that didn't seem to make a lot of economic sense.

To a lesser extent, we have also found other vacation destinations we enjoy as much as WDW, so we're just not traveling to Florida as often as we did in the first 5 years of our DVC membership. We still enjoy our trips to WDW, but are content to spread them out a bit more than we used to.

So for those reasons we sold the majority of our points, but still retain enough for a nice WDW vacation every year or two.

I voted "didn't like" but that was only after the "room ready" policy started being used at BCV. I like everything else about DVC and may buy at another resort in the future.

We always flew in after 2pm and didn't get to the resort until after 3pm. Before "room ready" we never had a problem with getting an acceptable room at BCV, one that met a request or two. After "room ready" we never seemed to get even one request met, except no smoking which I don't really consider a request. I'm not complaining about a 7 month non home resort reservation, these were 11 month out 7 am reservation calls.

There were too many people whining their way into a room at 9am, bumping someone else out of their assigned room, so DVC came up with this "room ready" bologna and ruined it for those of us that didn't expect a room until 4pm per the contract we signed. As far as I'm concerned the request priority should be to the earlier reservation, an owner perk of sorts, not to some whiner who disregards the rules. Why waste time with a system that allows requests if they don't mean anything?

We sold because it was a constant battle that we either didn't have enough points or had points we HAD to use by a certain date. It is just as easy for us to book through a DVC member who has points for rent when we wanted to go.

I am in the process of selling one of my contracts now. The primary reason is to downsize the points, but also because of owning at two resorts and wanting to get to one resort in the future.

Selling at this point is the best for us because of how much our investment has appreciated, vs how much it is costing us to pay maint fees and carry a small balance on Home Equity line with rising interest rates. The time is right.

Of course, you didn't list selling to prepare to buy at VAKL when they announce it, but that is also in the picture! :rotfl2:

We wanted to adjust our ownership at one particular resort to reflect how we used that contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter