Why did you choose the resort you did?

Why did you choose the resort you did?

• I originally bought SSR, but wanted to stay at the other resorts most of the time

• I originally bought OKW/HH/VB, but wanted to stay at the other resorts most of the time.

• I originally bought BCV/VWL/BWV, but wanted to stay at the other resorts most of the time.

• I originally bought SSR, because I liked it the most and intend on staying there most of the time.

• I originally bought OKW/HH/VB, I liked it the most and intend on staying there most of the time.

• I originally bought BCV/VWL/BWV, I liked it the most and intend on staying there most of the time.

• I bought add-ons so I could stay everywhere.

Results are only viewable after voting.

UConnJack

"Everyone's special Dash", "That's saying nobody i
Since any opinion that SSR has skewed resort availability across DVC is met with accusations of resort bashing and anecdotal evidence, I wanted to attempt a poll to see if that sheds any light on the subject. Now I know this is not scientific nor will it end the argument, but it may be interesting nonetheless.

Now I know the "I bought XXX because I liked that resort the most and intend on staying there most of the time" will get the most votes for all the resorts, but if you bought a resort because of other factors (e.g., availability, cost, maintenance fees, contract length, etc), but intended on staying somewhere else most of the time, please be honest.

Note that I lumped the resort into the "phases" of DVC resort building, i.e., the original stand-alone resorts (OKW, VB, HH), the second wave of hotel-based DVCs (BCV, BWV, and VWL), and the new DVC large resort model (SSR). I didn't include AKV because it is too new to see any trends.

Because I am poor and it was most economical as far as points needed per stay. I will mostly stay at my home resort for that reason, but would like to at least try them all over the next 36 years.

I voted "I originally bought BCV/VWL/BWV, I liked it the most and intend on staying there most of the time. " But for the record, we are staying at SSR (most likely) this September for a few days. I hope I don't mess up any SSR owners staying at their resort! (That was a tongue in cheek statement in case anyone is mis-reading it).

We purchased SSR because it was the currently selling resort with the latest contract expiration, and Disney had an attractive offer.

I like all the properties at Disney. I want/like to stay different places from time to time, and I'd feel that way no matter where I owned. I don't have the sort of personality where I feel it is necessary to always stay at "resort x", and I don't travel during peak DVC times or holidays and am not afraid of the waitlist, so I'd probably be able to stay at different resorts no matter where I owned. Honestly, I'd have purchased whatever Disney was selling at the time and would have been happy.

Length of contract was and is my number one concern. We are finacially stable, but DVC is definately an expense that we have to budget for. We also bought with the intent to hold onto the contract until expiration - not just until our kids were grown. Since older resorts don't sell for much less (if any) than the newest resorts, I just could not justify purchasing a contract with 10-20% of the usage time already gone.

We purchased at BWV because it was the resort available through Disney at that time.

We purchased an add on at VWL because we wanted additional points, and didn't want to wait for BW points to become available.

(Our guide hinted that it might take years to get the BW points because the waiting list was so long... but as soon as the we bought the WL points, Disney became aggressive with their ROFR, and we probably would have gotten our points within 5 months.)

I was a little ticked at first when that happened, but now I couldn't be happier. We love BW and WL, and although we have used our points at OKW, SSR and VB, we always feel like we are really "home" when we pull up to the two resorts that we own at.

I don't own SSR, yet, but love it and the nice people that do own there, let me stay.

We own at OKW and BCV. We use our BCV points for SSR. We use our OKW points for GV stays there.

We plan to sell our BCV points and buy a resale at SSR or hold on to them and buy at the Contemporary.

I bought OKW when it was the ONLY DVC resort. In 15 years and 30+ stays, we have never stayed at another DVC resort. SSR would be my second choice, followed by AKV. I have absolutely no interest in staying at BWV or BCV, and prefer the condo style resorts over the hotel style resorts (the exception may be CRV if it is built).

We orginally bought resale for OKW. Then added on with more points for OKW. The first time we called at the 7 month window for some other resorts and were not able to get in we immediately added on. This way we have several options now when we call at the 11 month window.

I bought at SSR last May because that's what was for sale and have stayed there twice. I loved both visits and am very satisfied with the purchase.

SSR purely driven by F&F promo price & contract length. I did thorough research on the resellers and their offerings-Direct offered the best package.

No preference where I stay. Purchase not based on resort preference.
Intentions to try all.
SSR so far and it was very enjoyable.

Jim

In 1992 and that was all that was offered,loved the free tickets we got to parks as incentive,will until 2000 anyway.Still stay at OKW every year but have used some points to stay DL and a Disney Cruise.:goodvibes

Last year we originally were going to buy at SSR because we were told by our now ex-guide that no one could buy at any other resort because they were sold out. Then I came to the DIS DVC board and was thankfully told that was not the case.

Called our now ex-guide who then reluctantly said well yes we could buy at the other resorts but would not let up on pushing SSR. We decided to not sign the SSR contracts and we got a DVC manager to assign us a new guide (one recommended by a DIS person - thank you again Lisa!)

Our new guide is awesome, not pushy and tells us the truth. From him we bought where we wanted to stay.

I do not feel there is anything *wrong* with SSR and yes, I have stayed there once; but it is not a place that appeals to me. We are not DTD people but I can certainly see the appeal for those who are. Our buying decisions have been purely fueled by buying where we want to stay so we have the home resort advantage.

We stayed at SSR with a cash ressie and we liked it so much we bought into DVC. Just did a add on for VB, to get the 11 months window for Spring Break every other year.

Im afraid your poll seems skewed in some unique way

we chose OKW- why? I dislike SSR theming and the obnoxious Disney sales rep and OKW was cheaper via resale, I could buy DVC, stay at OKW or potentially other resorts. IF all were the same price I probably would have picked BW or BC via resale

We chose to buy an 80 point OKW contract via resale for several reasons:

1) We wanted to make sure we liked DVC.
2) We wanted to pay cash.
3) We really like OKW! If it was the only resort we could stay at, that would be fine with me! It's beautiful and relaxing, and the transportation is great.

We considered BCV, but it would have annoyed me if we had to pay the higher dues, but couldn't always guarantee getting a room there. With OKW, we will almost always be able to get a room at our "home." (Silly, but that's just me, and for some strange reason, it matters to me!)

We added on at AKV because we want to wake up and see giraffes (how cool is that???!).

We will add on at CRV because that's my DH's favorite!

We bought our first two contracts through resale at BWV because we liked that area the most. We've since added on with SSR and we're looking forward to our first trip to our SSR home in April!

We purchased SSR because it was the currently selling resort with the latest contract expiration, and Disney had an attractive offer.

I like all the properties at Disney. I want/like to stay different places from time to time, and I'd feel that way no matter where I owned. I don't have the sort of personality where I feel it is necessary to always stay at "resort x", and I don't travel during peak DVC times or holidays and am not afraid of the waitlist, so I'd probably be able to stay at different resorts no matter where I owned. Honestly, I'd have purchased whatever Disney was selling at the time and would have been happy.

Exactly my feelings

We bought at OKW in '93 when it was the only DVC resort. We loved OKW and the free pass incentive until 2000 was a nice bonus. We have never tried to stay anywhere else. Maybe someday!

We bought at SSR last summer as it was the one currently being sold. We're anxious for our 1st trip "home" this July, but are also staying one night at BCV. DH and I are looking forward to eventually trying all of the resorts since each has its own special theming! Would likely add-on the GCV DVC when it comes about! :woohoo:

We bought OKW in '97 because the only other on-site resort available at that time was BWV, and we didn't care for the rooms there at all. We LOVE OKW, and were quite content to stay there all or most of the time. We just did the AKV add-on because I LOVE the savanna!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter