Why CR?

jwmccullough

Earning My Ears
Greetings All!
I have seen the various posts and websites promoting the rumor that the Contemporary Resort may be converted to a Vacation Club resort. While I am greatly interested in this happening, can someone provide any insight as to why it would be this resort over the Grand Floridian or Polynesian? (or any other resort for that matter)

Thanks!
Jess

I think mainly because ressies have been down for this resort for some time. When SOG was being "re-vamped", they actually moved the SOG ressies to the CR....there was that much room available in the North and South Garden wings.

People love the tower, but the garden wings are some of the last deluxe rooms to fill at WDW.

I think WDW is thinking they can turn a "not-so-hot" resort property into a SUPER hot DVC one...a win-win situation for all.

:wave:

Beca

Also, even though a Poly DVC has been the number one requested new DVC for some time, they have previously stated that both Poly and GF don't have the space to add on for DVC.

I think the decision to go with the CR is partly based on a process of elimination. None of the other options around Seven Seas Lagoon appear to be viable:

Grand Floridian - As mentioned there is no space. The only opinion would be to retrofit an existing building. However, occupancy is probably pretty high at this resort.

Poly - Same issue with space. Even if space could be found any new construction is unlikely. Apparently the land the Poly currently sits on is not that stable. Retrofit would again be the only option. But again, unlikely in a resort with high occupancy.

Land between Poly and CR - Space here for a new resort. However, it has been reported on these boards that the land will not support any construction.

CR - There is also a lack of space here. However, retrofit is an option (or as rumored a complete re-build of the N. Wing.). The land can support the construction and ther are no issues with high occupancy.

My opinion - There will either be a DVC at the CR at some pint or there will most likely never be a DVC presence on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Why CR over any other location?

From the info I have heard the next DVC resorts will be attached to existing resorts (such as BCV, BWV and BCV). If this is to occur there are only two options (assuming we only look at deluxes). They are the CR and the AKL (all other deluxe resorts lack space).

So why CR first?

If it will ever be made available (at least within the next 10 years), it is now. The N. Wing will be closing one way or the other later next year. That closure will be either to convert to DVC or to remodel and keep it as part of the current resort. The CR will not want to keep the N. Wing longer then necessary in its current state. So as you can probably imagine it is pretty clear that if DVC wants the CR than they have to take it now. There will be no option of doing a re-furb on the N. Wing and then converting to DVC in a few years. That just makes no financial sense.

Sorry for the long e-mail I have tried to provide all the info I have in a concise manner.

jwmccullough said:
Greetings All!
I have seen the various posts and websites promoting the rumor that the Contemporary Resort may be converted to a Vacation Club resort. While I am greatly interested in this happening, can someone provide any insight as to why it would be this resort over the Grand Floridian or Polynesian? (or any other resort for that matter)

Thanks!
Jess

Sure, walking distance to the MK and a need to upgrade the resort. The contemporary has been showing it's age for some time.

Building an add on to an exsisting resort allows them to leverage registration facilities and staffing which are expensive and houskeeping and facilities resources, which are also expensive. If some of the existing capacity of these resources can be augmented to help with additional DVC units, there is a cost savings. Staffing a 24hr registration operation for example is an expense that it can help to share.

Stitch 03 said:
I think the decision to go with the CR is partly based on a process of elimination. None of the other options around Seven Seas Lagoon appear to be viable:

Grand Floridian - As mentioned there is no space. The only opinion would be to retrofit an existing building. However, occupancy is probably pretty high at this resort.

Poly - Same issue with space. Even if space could be found any new construction is unlikely. Apparently the land the Poly currently sits on is not that stable. Retrofit would again be the only option. But again, unlikely in a resort with high occupancy.

Land between Poly and CR - Space here for a new resort. However, it has been reported on these boards that the land will not support any construction.

CR - There is also a lack of space here. However, retrofit is an option (or as rumored a complete re-build of the N. Wing.). The land can support the construction and ther are no issues with high occupancy.

My opinion - There will either be a DVC at the CR at some pint or there will most likely never be a DVC presence on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Why CR over any other location?

From the info I have heard the next DVC resorts will be attached to existing resorts (such as BCV, BWV and BCV). If this is to occur there are only two options (assuming we only look at deluxes). They are the CR and the AKL (all other deluxe resorts lack space).

So why CR first?

If it will ever be made available (at least within the next 10 years), it is now. The N. Wing will be closing one way or the other later next year. That closure will be either to convert to DVC or to remodel and keep it as part of the current resort. The CR will not want to keep the N. Wing longer then necessary in its current state. So as you can probably imagine it is pretty clear that if DVC wants the CR than they have to take it now. There will be no option of doing a re-furb on the N. Wing and then converting to DVC in a few years. That just makes no financial sense.

Sorry for the long e-mail I have tried to provide all the info I have in a concise manner.
I think your logic is "right on"! They certainly wouldn't take rooms out of circulation at popular resorts to add DVC, but turning resorts with lower occupancy into DVC makes a lot of sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter