why can't my friend get free dining during posted dates?

snoopy352

Mouseketeer
She is arriving on Oct 23 and wants to stay at a moderate and they told her that free dining was "sold out." Yet she could book a room there. I thought if rooms were available and the checkin date fell properly, that the Free Dining offer would be valid. Please help.

There are only a certain number of rooms available that offer free dining. They are sold out at her resort. Other rooms with no free dining are available there.

No. They only release a certain number of rooms at each resort that will be valid for free dining and once those rooms sell out there is no more availability for free dining there.

I looked online yesterday and EVERY moderate resort is sold out for the free dining promotion. You can still book a room there just not under the free dining promo. That promo has been out for quite a while so those moderate rooms probably sold out 2 weeks ago or more.

If they want free dining they are going to have to book a deluxe room. Which kind of defeats the purpose of getting free dining if you are paying $400 a day for the room.

It would be cheaper to just book a moderate room with no free dining and pay out of pocket for food rather than stay in a deluxe.

No. They only release a certain number of rooms at each resort that will be valid for free dining and once those rooms sell out there is no more availability for free dining there.

I looked online yesterday and EVERY moderate resort is sold out for the free dining promotion. You can still book a room there just not under the free dining promo. That promo has been out for quite a while so those moderate rooms probably sold out 2 weeks ago or more.

If they want free dining they are going to have to book a deluxe room. Which kind of defeats the purpose of getting free dining if you are paying $400 a day for the room.

It would be cheaper to just book a moderate room with no free dining and pay out of pocket for food rather than stay in a deluxe.

thx for the info - so they aren't even offering a discount off the rack room rate either? seems kinda nuts to me to pay full room rates during a free dining month and not get any deal at all...

They do have a room % off discount going right now that has to be booked by Sept 15th but it is also subject to availability. So they would just have to call and ask to see what resort if any has availability for the room only discount.

She is arriving on Oct 23 and wants to stay at a moderate and they told her that free dining was "sold out." Yet she could book a room there. I thought if rooms were available and the checkin date fell properly, that the Free Dining offer would be valid. Please help.

Is it sold out at ALL mods or just the one she wanted? She may have to decide what she wants more....free dining or the mod of her choice?

thx for the info - so they aren't even offering a discount off the rack room rate either? seems kinda nuts to me to pay full room rates during a free dining month and not get any deal at all...

The same rules apply--only so many rooms are offered for any kind of discount, free dining or percent off. After those rooms are gone they are gone, but you may still be able to book a rack rate room.

Keep in mind too that booking now for October is kind of late when there is any sort of discount up for grabs. For example I e-mailed my Dreams Unlimited TA about free dining for a trip in December when it was still a rumor. The day it became available she sent me a quote. Two days later she sent me another e-mail asking me to book it if I was serious, as the free dining rooms were already gone at that resort, and she wanted to offer mine to someone else if I didn't want it. So 5 months out from my trip the discounted rooms were already sold out. Your friend is less than 2 months out.

Is it sold out at ALL mods or just the one she wanted? She may have to decide what she wants more....free dining or the mod of her choice?

all I just called yesterday morning sept 3 at 8am hoping some one changed dates or cancelled for oct 21 i wanted to add it

Tell your friend to play around with dates on the website. Maybe FD isn't available for all of her stay, but she might be able to get it for part of.

For example, maybe she needs to do a room only on arrival day, then the fd package. Or FD might be available for the first 6 nights, then she can add room only onto the end.

(I did just check and there is availability Oct. 23 to at least Nov. 1 at Carribbean Beach and some values.)

That may not be what she wants, but at least she would have some type of discount and can keep checking for availability to open up where she wants. I'm sure some people will be cancelling packages as it gets close to the 45 day mark.

Free Dining is not guaranteed... and if you're not booking a minimum of 6 months in advance you're kind of behind the 8 ball.
Many many many people book at LEAST that far in advance so they get the ADR's they want. They wait for FD and room discounts to be announced, call in and get them attached to their reservation. It books quickly.

That and it appears that each year, they seem to be making fewer and fewer rooms in the inventory of certain resorts available for free dining promotions. There's some posts here from folks who have been checking and can find nothing at any of the moderates. The fall offer that is currently out also completely excluded several resorts - Art of Animation, Port Orleans French Quarter, Allstar Movies and the Villas at Grand Floridian. All of those resorts have rooms available - but no free dining.

There were also some that had difficulty getting a room type they wanted at Riverside within a few days of the discount being available for booking.

She could try splitting her stay (using separate reservations, so even if they are at the same resort, there's no guarantee to keep the same room - though it can be requsted) to get free dining for at least part of it. It might work better to put room-only days after the free dining package, because of the ticket purchase requirement for free dining. They could purchase tickets with the package to cover the whole stay.

Or if they are good with a value resort (remember Art of Animation and All-Star Movies are excluded, so that leaves Pop Century, AS Sports or Music) they could pay the difference to upgrade the free quick service plan to the regular plan.

There is a room discount available also, your friend would need to call and ask what discounts are available for her dates, at resorts that would be acceptable to her - if she wants a moderate, she can ask if there is a room discount available at a moderate. If she likes a particular moderate she can ask about that one first. Unless she asks, they are not going to fill her in on discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter