Why can't DCL fix sewer smell on the Magic?

Incharge

<font color=deepseagreen>Has a PHOBIA about teeny
I have read on so many threads about this awful sewage smell on the Magic. I have been reading about this for months. Why can't they actually fix this problem? The fact is that people spend lots of money to sail on the DCL, and why can't they invest some of this money into getting to the root of the actual problem? I know they say if you flush alot, the smell should go away or something like that. Other cruise lines don't seem to have this problem. Does the Wonder have it also. I am not trying to complain about DCL, but doesn't anyone other than myself think this is strange that they can't seem to fix this problem? Has anyone wrote to the company? If so, what do they say about it?
Thanks

I have never cruised w/ Disney before(1st cruise 10/18/03 YEA!), but I can only assume that everything will be taken care of in October when the Magic is in Drydock. :)

-Serena

I have noticed similar smells on other cruise lines as well, not just Disney. I think it must just be part of the make-up of the plumbing on a cruise ship...just my thought.

MJ

The only time we smelled it last week was when we were walking our mile on deck 4 forward. It was as you rounded the front of the ship in the enclosure. Other than that we didn't have any problems.
Donna

Maybe these are just isolated cases that I have been reading about here. I know there was one thread some months back where quite a few people were talking about this problem. Now I notice more posts about this. I am just hoping this problem is not back. I have not had the problem on the other cruise line, but maybe it was because I don't stay still long enough for the smell to catch up to my nose:D :) Like they say, can't hit a moving target(nose):eek: Can't wait to cruise! 3 more months:cool:

We must be the lucky ones since after 5 cruises we have never had a problem with bad smells on the ship....but then again, our eldest son hasn't cruised with us!

Rae

I smelled it in certains spots but it was nothing major. We sailed on the 5/17/03 Eastern. Our room was fine!!

Having sailed on the Magic three times, I can report that I've never encountered these smells either.

Rae,
You are too funny. Those young guys of ours do tend to leave their "evidence" that they have been in the vacinity. And to think that I had twins:rolleyes: Double gym smell, whew! Oh well, they are grown now, so luckily they outgrew it.:)

ThreeCircles,
Are you still going with us on 9/6 Magic? I think we will have the ship to ourselves:cool:

Many years ago my parents requested I accompany them on a trip to Fort Hamilton in New York for breakfast at the officers' club. As soon as I entered their car I noticed an awful smell. I looked under the seats, on the floor, in the glove compartment, everywhere. I even sniffed my own clothes. Nothing. My mom smelled it, too. My dad, however, couldn't smell anything. It became so bad that I had no alternative but to drive with the windows open. After a short distance it became apparent by my watering eyes and gaging that the rancid smell was increasing. My dad told me to stop imagining things. I tried to abide by his wishes but just couldn't take it. Nor could my mom. I finally turned the car off to the side of the Belt Parkway, got out and opened the trunk. Nothing but a shopping bag inside, but it stunk. Turned out my dad inadvertently left a raw chicken inside which he had purchased a few days before. He never did notice the smell. Just goes to show ya - one person's poison is another's perfume...

Originally posted by Incharge
Rae,
You are too funny. Those young guys of ours do tend to leave their "evidence" that they have been in the vacinity. And to think that I had twins:rolleyes: Double gym smell, whew! Oh well, they are grown now, so luckily they outgrew it.:)

After Christopher moved to Indy, I once told him that I was missing him pretty bad and mentioned, "Even your room smells different now that you are gone! It's just not you anymore."
He mailed me a small box - he had placed his gym socks and t-shirt smelling of sweat, dirt and Ben Gay in a ziplock bag and wrote on the bag, "For time when you really miss me a lot."
He has a wicked humor!!!!!!! But you do miss these things when they are gone!

Rae

We had a sewer smell on the last night of our 5th Disney cruise. We were just returning to change clothes from dinner and it hit our noses as soon as we opened the door. I also had the same problem on RCCL this past Jan. As soon as we poured a couple glasses of water down the floor drain the problem was gone. I manage a lg. arena with a # of locker rooms. I have to have my staff pour water down the floor drains at least once a week. It's not an easily corrected problem. I think most of the cleaning staff on these ships probably pour water down the drain as part of their regular routine when cleaning after guests disembark, but occasionally forget or else for some reason the water dries up before the guests leave, like our case late on our last night. When we cruise again in Sept. I'm going to just pour a little water down the floor drain before we have a problem. Even though I am very familiar with this problem it really kind of threw me when I unlocked our door and got a wiff. LOL

Gee Rae~ I wonder where Christopher gets his humor from!! LOL

But I know EXACTLY what you're referring to.... you should smell my building when our football team is in season!! I work in a college Athletic Department...... WOOOOO! and they don't smell it!!! We have to actually open the doors upstairs and down to let a cross breeze through!!!

Jeanny :wave:

Jeanny, the bldg. I manage also houses our football team and it can get really bad in their locker rooms. Only thing worse is the hockey team's locker rm. in our ice arena.....sadly I am responsible for this bldg. too. I had a salesman come in and try to tell me putting slow release deodorizers on the walls would help, but he couldn't stay in there long enough to put up a demonstration model....came running out into the hallway with the dry heaves! I keep saying the only thing that'll get the smell out of there is a stick of dynamite!! LOL

what we noticed is like a Vent for the system,,, near the front of the ship and if the wind is just right u get the pleasure of the smell... so how do u fix it i dont know but we did nitice the
vent sort of like on u have either on your house or in your yard..... peter

Buckaroo's Dad,

How soon after that "incident" did your mom make your dad sell the car?;) I bet that odor never did leave the car entirely.

Back to the origional topic, the Magic does have a serious problem with the plumbing, so much so that my Mother refuses to sail on DCL next winter and opted for RCCL.

She had room 7028 and the smell was putrid from the moment they opened the door. The cabin was not very clean, there were drink glass rings on the furniture, and someones clothing left under the bed.

She called because she could not bear the smell, and they snaked the toiliot or something and said it was due to the previous cruise having rough seas, but everything in the room absorbed the sewer odor, the spread on the bed smelled funky.

DCL gave mom a bottle of champaine in apology, but when she brought the bottle to dinner they charged her a corking fee which probably cost more then the champaine.

That really ticked her, she told them it was a gift from dcl, but they still charged the corking fee.

That smell left mom with a really bad association with an otherwise wonderful vacation.

Too bad:mad: :mad:

I can understand how your mom feels. We also had the bad odor in our room, but it was an outside cabin and there was no verandah door to open. Now we have a SPR and am excited about going but I can't forget what happened last time. My poor kids were gagging, as were we.

But if water works I'll just keep the water in the bathtub constantly running if we have that problem.

Joanna

We were on the 5/31 Magic and we smelled it in our room on deck 8 daily. I sprayed and sprayed... didn't really help much.

The worst though was deck 4 forward, outside on the track and inside close to the Walt Disney Theatre.

It's a definate problem... but not bad enough to ruin a vacation or anything :)

I have a very sensitive nose, but fortunately I never noticed any putrid smell at all, except for the occasional smoker downwind of our verandah!

With Carnival and RCCL, I *know* there would be much more putrid smell.

Ruth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter