why are there never any "room only" discounts?

:sad2:

Mac speaks the truth and you flame her? :sad2: X 2!

It always distresses me when someone goes out of their way to give a complex answer to a question from a complete stranger and it not only goes unappreciated but is criticized. People take a lot of time from their own busy schedule to help others out here in a completley unselfish way. Nobody benefits from giving advice on an anonymous internet board.

Go back to the "other" side where comments and that sort of behavior is accepted. We try our best to be kind and give thorough info. Rudeness is just not what we need here.[/QUOTE

Mac is one of the most helpful person on this side of the boards.If you want to talk like that go over too the CB boards or were someone that likes likes that kinda of sarcasm.Not here!!

(we once did the "stay 4 nights, play for free package") but, face it, there isn't enough there for a whole week (yeah, you can throw in the sea world, busch gardens option)
we like to stay ONSITE, wherever we are, and would have visited universal MUCH MORE often, if they would ONLY offer onsite ROOM discounts. give us a discount on a room for 3 nights instead for a week long park pass.(really, we're NOT going to spend 7 days at 2 parks!), and we would have been there much more often instead of just "skipping universal this time". anyone else agree?

They're currently running a 5 nights for the price of 3 promo...no tickets or other gimmicks...room only.

Nets out to a little over $160 at RPH March 15-20. Planning on a laid back relaxing trip. Hit the parks for the mornings, return to the hotel to lounge at the pool and/or head to CityWalk. And since I'm at their hotel, I'll enjoy FOTL included in the price!

now that is a super good rate you got!! have to love those promos....especially for spring break time!

in my ap newsletter, there was some dirt cheap deals going on prior.
i didn't think those would be beaten until i read your post..

lucky ducky.......

makes me want to book another trip then instead of june.

will be there in october....hhn, can't miss that

first and foremost... I APOLOGIZE! really, I do.I did not mean to be rude or sarcastic. thank you, mac (and anyone else) who took the time to give me information. looking back at my post, I guess it did sound sarcastic. sometimes when you print out words, it doesn't sound like you say it in your mind (inflections, etc) it was late, I had a long hard weekend at work, just got home (NO excuse), and it sounded like a AAA agent (by the way, mine, Vicki in Chicago, is GREAT!) trying to get in a plug instead of someone replying to the question asked (Universal "itself" offering "room only" rates).
no excuse. everyone. please accept my apologies. especailly macraven, I am sincerely sorry. thank you for taking the time to try and help me.
on another note, I didn't realize there are 2 "sides" to this board. I love both disney and universal. the first time we went to uni. was a one day trip with our boys, from disney property. years later, the 2nd time was a one day trip, hubby and me. (boys are grown). the 3rd time we found a great rate at Royal pacific with our entertainment card, but then they stopped that. (the great rate, anyway. ) we had gone after that for 3 or 4 days in may, before disney, but the rates, even with AAA, are pricey for us. we considered driving over a couple days, but, ... we are now spoild... yes, it IS great to walk to everything and FOTL. don't think we could enjoy it as day guests again.
blackjack, I did not know about the room only 5 nights for 3 promo. sounds like a great deal. thank you for posting that info!
in answer to another person's query, last dec. we got a value resort at disney for 45 a night. they are running a similar promo for 09, with moderate resorts at 95, don't know about deluxe. but we generally stay at value or mods., and have "sprung " for univ. for a few nights. it is deluxe prices. yes, you can walk to everything, and get fotl, so I guess it's worth it. if you want to be there 5 nights.
which gets back to how much time? we love disney too, and even discussed... "would it be weird to make the long trip to florida and NOT go to disney at all?" I guess a lot of people do.
heck, we want to live there within a few years, and then buy AP to BOTH resorts... sigh!
enough babbling... again, I am SO sorry for offending mac and anyone else. from now on, when tired and in a bad mood, I will reread my posts before submitting. please forgive me.

first and foremost... I APOLOGIZE! really, I do.I did not mean to be rude or sarcastic. thank you, mac (and anyone else) who took the time to give me information. looking back at my post, I guess it did sound sarcastic. sometimes when you print out words, it doesn't sound like you say it in your mind (inflections, etc) it was late, I had a long hard weekend at work, just got home (NO excuse), and it sounded like a AAA agent (by the way, mine, Vicki in Chicago, is GREAT!) trying to get in a plug instead of someone replying to the question asked (Universal "itself" offering "room only" rates).
no excuse. everyone. please accept my apologies. especailly macraven, I am sincerely sorry. thank you for taking the time to try and help me.
on another note, I didn't realize there are 2 "sides" to this board. I love both disney and universal. the first time we went to uni. was a one day trip with our boys, from disney property. years later, the 2nd time was a one day trip, hubby and me. (boys are grown). the 3rd time we found a great rate at Royal pacific with our entertainment card, but then they stopped that. (the great rate, anyway. ) we had gone after that for 3 or 4 days in may, before disney, but the rates, even with AAA, are pricey for us. we considered driving over a couple days, but, ... we are now spoild... yes, it IS great to walk to everything and FOTL. don't think we could enjoy it as day guests again.
blackjack, I did not know about the room only 5 nights for 3 promo. sounds like a great deal. thank you for posting that info!
in answer to another person's query, last dec. we got a value resort at disney for 45 a night. they are running a similar promo for 09, with moderate resorts at 95, don't know about deluxe. but we generally stay at value or mods., and have "sprung " for univ. for a few nights. it is deluxe prices. yes, you can walk to everything, and get fotl, so I guess it's worth it. if you want to be there 5 nights.
which gets back to how much time? we love disney too, and even discussed... "would it be weird to make the long trip to florida and NOT go to disney at all?" I guess a lot of people do.
heck, we want to live there within a few years, and then buy AP to BOTH resorts... sigh!
enough babbling... again, I am SO sorry for offending mac and anyone else. from now on, when tired and in a bad mood, I will reread my posts before submitting. please forgive me.

Alrighty, since you apologized, I won't point out what everyone else did.

Now onto the discounts, I think Universal's Super Saver rate is fantastic!! We want to stay at the HRH in May, and it was looking like it would be about $1550...UNTIL the SSR came out last week and we got it for $911. I wouldn't be able to stay at a Disney Deluxe Resort for that price in May and be able to walk to parks, etc. I *love* Disney, but Universal has an appeal too. I don't think you can beat the SSR. My per night average cost is on par with Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, and HRH is far better and more convenient.

Just my 2 cents. The discounts are out there. Like someone else mentioned, take advantage of the stay 5 for the price of 3 promo, that's what we did.

I just tried to edit my post, but my ancient dial up computer won't behave. I was going to add that, my thinking at the time was, "of course I know about AAA rates, I mean discounts from the resort itself.(which , at disney, are lower than AAA, and you can only choose one discount at a time).
whatever my "reasons" , I realize they sound like "excuses". there is never an excuse for boorish behavior. I stand corrected, and am truly sorry.

They also have a stay 7 pay 4 promotion its even better. I extended our stay from 5 to 7 days and still pays less. The rate I got for april 29 - may 6 was $ 143 at Royal Pacific. And because the swedish krona has droped 30% to the dollar since our last trip in may this came as a wonderful suprise. I also changed my rate at Disney and saved another 800$ on our 11 day stay at Coronado Springs.

All this savings thanks to you wonderful people out there!!! :worship:

I just tried to edit my post, but my ancient dial up computer won't behave. I was going to add that, my thinking at the time was, "of course I know about AAA rates, I mean discounts from the resort itself.(which , at disney, are lower than AAA, and you can only choose one discount at a time).
whatever my "reasons" , I realize they sound like "excuses". there is never an excuse for boorish behavior. I stand corrected, and am truly sorry.

LOL, no more apologizing! At least you understood how it sounded to MAC. and others. When all else fails insert lots of smileys after all sarcastic comments. :lmao: If you have the time I would check the UNI website often for discounts on the hotels only. I started at a rate of $259 Super Saver for Christmas week back in March, AAA of $224 in July and in October It went all the way down to $144 for AP rate. (I only needed to buy one preferred pass) I think you have to be patient and sometimes wait for the best rate. Book early though because it doesn't cost anything to change your rate and it is super easy to do. Just call the hotel.

morning smidgy, forgiven and forgotten.
let's move forward and not look back. :goodvibes

i think many people have posted before and misrepresented their true thoughts on message boards. when all we have to express ourselves is the page in front of us, and others don't know anything about us, sometimes posts can be read not the way we intended to be.

if i see a smilie posted next to a sentence that can be taken either way, i always give the poster the benefit of the doubt on how to read it in a positive way. for me, it takes away any harshness.

i have been going to disney since 1974 and universal the year after it was built. when i give advice or suggestions, they are based on my personal experiences of what i have gone through in obtaining a good rate for tickets, hotel, transportation, etc.

i can't imagine going to orlando and not doing both parks.

i am not an expert but really try to help those that have questions. if the poster does not give background information in their question to direct me how to correctly answer them, i generally try to suggest some basics.

that is why i talked about AAA. (i am not an agent, heck, i don't even know my agents name...:eek: ) after the entertainment book rates disappeared, i started to use my AAA membership at universal until i bought their AP. when i posted to you about AAA, i did not know you were a member. i think i was just trying to stress the benefits of AAA were a bonus in setting up a stay at universal. the AAA can give up to a 35% discount off the hotel rate.
it also gives a 10% discount off of food and merch in the parks. i have had 21 stays at the on site hotels and couldn't do it without the promo rates.

i totally understand what you are saying and appreciate you returning to let us know you are human like we are. most of the posters on the universal forums are laid back and not used to controversy.

many answer posts from newbies and the regulars frequently. We encourage those that are not familiar with universal to ask more questions and come back and share how their trips went.

we really enjoy the universal parks and like to share our knowledge of it.

you will find some threads in the main universal forum that will give up dated information on the parks, ticket promos, events that will be coming up, etc. i find even with the number of trips i have made, can find new things that are developing.

there is a chat thread on the forums that is everyday chatter.
many of us have got to know more about each other through dropping in there at times.
it is open to everyone. you don't have to be a lover of universal to stop by.
it is for all dis-ers. i think you met some of them in this thread....:laughing:
they are all good people. some regulars keep in touch while others will come and go. we are soon to start #6 on the continuation of the thread.

the tag fairy found us witty one day. many of us were given a tag RED HEAD as we were referred to the "proud red headed step children of the dis." :rotfl:
now more disers know there are 2 sides to the disboards.

if you have more questions or interested in some "great promos" for the hotels, post a thread also on the main forum.
a few homies have presented some hotel promos in this thread already.

sometimes meeting new people start on the wrong foot.
you'll never know how many nice people you will meet along the way in life when you change the shoes.....

i am glad you came back and cleared the air.
thank you!

LOL, no more apologizing! At least you understood how it sounded to MAC. and others. When all else fails insert lots of smileys after all sarcastic comments. :lmao: If you have the time I would check the UNI website often for discounts on the hotels only. I started at a rate of $259 Super Saver for Christmas week back in March, AAA of $224 in July and in October It went all the way down to $144 for AP rate. (I only needed to buy one preferred pass) I think you have to be patient and sometimes wait for the best rate. Book early though because it doesn't cost anything to change your rate and it is super easy to do. Just call the hotel.

pixeegrl has given a great fact here!

i go every sept/oct to the motherland and the darkside.

i book my darkside hotel in january for the october stay.
all i want to do is secure my room.

when the rates come out and promos do too, i modify my rates.
then i pay the cheapest and come out smiling....:goodvibes

thank you all.:goodvibes :cloud9: :grouphug: there, I'm using smilies:rotfl:

hubby and I have met tons of great people on the dis. many in person. hubby's fans from hos trip reports even started a "nebo" thread so we could all keep in touch when he finished his 4th report. one from another state sent us a huge box of clothes all her kids have outgrown for our new grandaughter! (she'll be gazing at the osbourne lights in a few days!)

thank you for all the info!

Thanks for coming back to set things right. As you can tell mac is very much loved around here!

tag fairy found us witty one day. many of us were given a tag RED HEAD as we were referred to the "proud red headed step children of the dis." :rotfl:
now more disers know there are 2 sides to the disboards.

OMG:rotfl2: I always wondered about those Red Head tags. Here I was thinking there was some great Red Head club (which made me a little jealous I must confess as a previous blond turned brunette;) ). It was all a joke about the dark side. Too funny:lmao:

:laughing: And I kept trying to figure out how, as an actual redhead in real life, I could join up with this DIS group of redheads! Who knew it would involve trips to Universal!!! :confused3

"would it be weird to make the long trip to florida and NOT go to disney at all?" I guess a lot of people do..

We go to Orlando several times a year (from Colorado) and rarely hit Disney. We always stay at Universal and drive over to Disney if we need a Disney fix. But usually, we can't budge our sloth like bodies away from our cabana and the pool boy bringing us drinks to actually get in the car and race around for fast passes. :goodvibes

If I promise to dye my hair red, can I join the proud red-head group? Please? Pretty, Pretty please?

We go to Orlando several times a year (from Colorado) and rarely hit Disney. We always stay at Universal and drive over to Disney if we need a Disney fix. But usually, we can't budge our sloth like bodies away from our cabana and the pool boy bringing us drinks to actually get in the car and race around for fast passes. :goodvibes

If I promise to dye my hair red, can I join the proud red-head group? Please? Pretty, Pretty please?

How have you managed to stay a non red-head for this long???

OMG... I know exactly that feeling..we were at PBH in October and we were sooo enjoying the pool and the waitress coming around with drinks we never got to the parks at all that day:rotfl2:

Out of curiosity I went to both Universal and Disney and got a quote as follows:

March 23-30, 2009 7 day stay with 7 day tickets for 2 adults.

Disney Beach Club Resort $2516.28 ( Stay 4 get 3 free)

Hard Rock Hotel 1611.64 ( Stay 4 get 3 free)

The intersting thing is that Disney is a package deal..you have to buy tickets to get 4/3 deal...Universal IS a "room only" deal but I added the cost of tickets to make the quote comparable....

What a great deal at HH AND front of the line...I have to figure our a way to get there....:thumbsup2

We always get room only discounts at Universal. Call them directly..see what they have.

Universal (Loews Resorts ) are outstanding...they won't give in on quality..just to put up cheap, hear everyone pee through the walls like Disney does. Pretty cool that Universal's value resort is nicer than Disney's deluxe resorts!

thanks goofy, for the info, and maggie, for the price comparison. truth be known, we've never been able to afford the beach club, anyway.
I never meant this to be a universal vs. disney thread. really. now that we have stayed onsite at uni., we can't imagine doing it any other way. same with disney. but we rarely do deluxe resorts at disney. we have stayed at AK and WL once each, and dolphin twice. we do go to the values if that's the only way we can afford the trip, and hubby actually loves the oversized icons. (I think they're kinda cheezy myself)
we love the moderate resorts, esp. coronado. we actually like to leave our room and be outside. first cause we're smokers. but also cause we like to step outside and... viola! there's the sunrise! or sunset! we have been so often that fast passes aren't a problem we like to enjoy the resort a lot. gp the parks early and ride a few things... then go back to the resort and return later in the evening. did you know you can "generally" get a fast pass and use it later in the evening? sometimes at uni. we have used the regular line, just to see the preshow stuff, since the lines aren't long in May anyway.
and we usually bring our own drinks, and skimp on the pool boy thing.
I would have no problem with uni. offerring a moderate priced resort, and leaving the FOTL perk for only the deluxe resorts.
but thank you all for your info on various "room only" discounts.
by the way, one of the perks we like best about uni. is that you are allowed to use any pool, regardless of which of the 3 hotels you are staying in. just a short walk or boat ride. I love the RP pool! but I also like slides. and HRH has the BEST slide!!
we stayed at hard rock once, and the music poolside got a bit loud for us. but the short walk to both parks was great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter