• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why are cast members putting so many people in a ride vehicle?

We went during the first part of February of 13. We were a group of 12 total, but rarely traveled as a full group, normally just 3, 4, 5 or 8. We had little "cramming" happen to us and overall rode with just our group.
The two exceptions to this were:

1. We were packed into the HM stretching room with total strangers! I mean, I had to stand there with at least 5 people I'd never met breathing the same air as me for almost 3 MINUTES!

2. After exiting the boat at Maelstrom, we hurried to the theater to see the film. There was 5 of us this time. We wanted to sit 3 and 2 (so mommy and daddy could have a little "privacy", dontcha know!). But then 2 other people from the boat behind us rudely tried to pack into our row at the same time! The should have waited for the next showing, as I am pretty sure they were just trying to rush from ride to ride anyway.

Also, I am so tired of cramming at restaurants. Luckily, we were a party of 12 at Coral Reef, or the "Grouper" might have tried this with us. We saw what appeared to be a queue for Single Diners staged out front. When we got inside, it became obvious that these Single Diners were being seated at tables where an odd number were already seated. I mean, really Disney? Do you know how awkward it is trying to figure out split-checks with people you like, let alone complete strangers? They never want to go halfsies, or want to argue that they only ordered water while you drank 3 bottles of white.

Maybe Disney should look into making more parades. Parades always seem to draw people off the ride queues. Less riders = less cramming. Maybe then I can get my own horse on the carousel finally. :stir:

This post set off my sarcasm detector...

I experienced this on POTC in August. I was *fuming*. The boat looked full and we assumed we'd be put on the next boat. There were 11 people in our party - most of us not small people (some of our party not at all!!!). They crammed all 11 of us in three rows - the last row (that doesn't seat as many) and the two rows in front of it. My 8 year old nephew was in the last row and there was no room for him so he actually rode on his mother's lap. So not safe!!! Because of all the weight in the back of the boat, the back of the boat was sitting only about an inch above the water line.

We went down the little hill and the boat took on so much water. I was drenched. Sneakers, socks, jean shorts...totally drenched. I've had rides on Splash Mountain that I didn't get as wet on.

I was so mad I actually went to Guest Services and complained. The cast members DO need to judge. Maybe the rule is 4 people to a row - but they have to use their judgement. 4 thinner averaged sized people might fit. Four larger adults - not so much! It was a safety issue as well. They never should have put us in that boat without a seat for my nephew. As I said, I was livid, and I told them as much. They did agree with me. I have a big thing about wet shoes/socks and they did give me a voucher for a pair of flip flops to wear. They said they would speak to the cast members working the attraction. They also said that if we were ever in a position like that again, it was our right to explain we weren't comfortable with that, and that we preferred to be split up. Believe me, next time I will definitely speak up and request to not be crammed in a row.

We did experience this as well on TGMR. While it was uncomfortable, it didn't feel unsafe and I didn't get soaked, so we just dealt with it. On that ride as well, we were really surprised how many large people they tried to cram into one row.:confused3

larryz said:
This post set off my sarcasm detector...

Wow, you must have a really sensitive one.

How far did that push the needle?

We are here now and we have experienced this twice with CMs just being rude about it too when we expressed our concerns. We already sent an email to Disney and I encourage everyone that has experienced this to do the same. We deserve to be treated like paying guests, not cattle. This is obviously done to make their loading numbers and wait times seem better than what they actually are.

We are here now and we have experienced this twice with CMs just being rude about it too when we expressed our concerns. We already sent an email to Disney and I encourage everyone that has experienced this to do the same. We deserve to be treated like paying guests, not cattle. This is obviously done to make their loading numbers and wait times seem better than what they actually are.

Well, Disney themselves have given us the "how" to protest: emulate the Mad Hatter and Dormouse and simply yell, "No room! No room!"

I did not read all the responses. But am I the only one that thinks it is good for CMs to be trained to fit as many as possible in a vehicle?

Obviously not overcrowding, but on a recent DL trip i noticed half empty vehicles and cars going by. Putting more people in a vehicle lessens the wait times for everyone!

I think it's a good idea for the CM's to be trained to fit as many people that comfortably and safely fit in a vehicle. That requires good judgement, and a good grouper.

I did not read all the responses. But am I the only one that thinks it is good for CMs to be trained to fit as many as possible in a vehicle?

Obviously not overcrowding, but on a recent DL trip i noticed half empty vehicles and cars going by. Putting more people in a vehicle lessens the wait times for everyone!

I am an assertive person. I felt I was 'forced' to cram people into at least one ride. I said to the CM, 'we are not going to fit' and he said "It's 5 per row!' or whatever it was for that ride. So I got in. I wouldn't do that again, though. The first time it's a shock but then you know.

btw we were assigned the first row at POC on 1/1. We said 'we want to sit in the middle'. So they put us in rows 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. The 3 women in the front row got soaked from their knees to their shoes. I would have been so mad.

If you are not comfortable then tell them so. I guess they assume they are doing you a favor sitting your group together but if you dont want that tell them.

And yet a ride like Pirates has half the boats jammed with people and the other half going out practically empty. Thanks FP+ for taking up half the ride capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter