• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why are 2BR lockoffs so popular?

perchy

WDW Resort Hopper
I don't understand what makes lockoffs preferrable to other 2BRs. What am I missing? 2 exits to the hallway?

We dont' have a choice at BWV, since they're all lockoffs. We'd rather have dedicated 2 bedrooms there. But I guess the studio portion does have that kitchenette/microwave/fridge, so that's nice, and if one wants more privacy on coming/going from rooms.

We prefer a lock off when travelling with our 18 year old. He prefers the sofa to the second bed and likes having the fridge and microwave in his space and he uses the separate entrance to feel like he is independent. It’s not a big deal and will book dedicate if not available but for us lock off is best

We dont' have a choice at BWV, since they're all lockoffs. We'd rather have dedicated 2 bedrooms there. But I guess the studio portion does have that kitchenette/microwave/fridge, so that's nice, and if one wants more privacy on coming/going from rooms.
We prefer a lock off when travelling with our 18 year old. He prefers the sofa to the second bed and likes having the fridge and microwave in his space and he uses the separate entrance to feel like he is independent. It’s not a big deal and will book dedicate if not available but for us lock off is best
A lot of people say this and it always surprises me. I don't think it's ever occurred to me to use a microwave while I'm on vacation.

This, plus the fact that not all resorts have dedicated 2BR to begin with.

Yep. BWV and Jambo you have to book them if you want a 2BR and then you're competing with the studio folks. It's my only unfavorite thing about both those resorts.

A lot of people say this and it always surprises me. I don't think it's ever occurred to me to use a microwave while I'm on vacation.
We are not fans of eating out every day as we find it leads to overeating and getting out off food. We stay 14 nights and frankly dont want more than about 6 dinners in restaurants the rest will just be snacks in the room. We don’t like eating breakfast out it’s way faster to have a quick breakfast while getting ready

We use the microwave a lot on vacation. We usually stay 1 bedroom or larger to have the full kitchen, and while we're not generally cooking full meals, we are using the fridge/freezer, and often heat leftovers or quick meals in the microwave. I like to heat up tea and coffee in the microwave. Stayed at Portofino at Universal in October, and definitely missed having a microwave there, although they are available to rent. Did bring a hotpot though. Even if just doing a regular hotel stay, nice to have a microwave for heating leftovers.

In some cases, a 2-bedroom lockoff will be able to accommodate an extra person compared to a dedicated 2-bedroom. For example, at BCV the dedicated 2-bedroom has sleep surfaces for 8 but the lockoff has sleep surfaces for 9 because of the pull out bed under the tv in the lockoff studio.

In some cases, a 2-bedroom lockoff will be able to accommodate an extra person compared to a dedicated 2-bedroom. For example, at BCV the dedicated 2-bedroom has sleep surfaces for 8 but the lockoff has sleep surfaces for 9 because of the pull out bed under the tv in the lockoff studio.

Yeah, Riviera has a Queen, pull out sofa, and a small Murphy bed on the “lock off” section, so can sleep 5 potentially on that portion where a standard 2 BR has two queen beds only so sleeping four. So sleeps 10 total in lock off vs 9 in standard. May not matter much to most, but it’s potentially a big benefit if you had a lot of little kids in the party.

Yep if you look you can get 1BR rather easily so it shows the 2BR is gone due to the studios being booked up. We usually stay in at least an 1BR as we like having the washer/dryer and the full kitchen. I like making breakfast in the room. We going with our 2 girls under 4 and my parents so we got a 2BR. We use the kitchen to make breakfast in the morning as my girls like pancakes and eggs. Makes life easier honestly.

I prefer lock-off when traveling with a group. Some may be early riser, and want to go early, while others may prefer to sleep in for a while. The separate exterior doors allow for that.

Now, if you're traveling with children who will be in the 2nd bedroom alone...I can certainly see the need for a dedicated 2 bedroom.

The only advantage for us is the second thermostat. We like this when we stay at BWV as the kids don’t like sleeping with A/C. I would always pick a dedicated over a lockoff given the choice for the extra bed.

I just stayed in a dedicated 2BR @ BCV (2 queens in 2nd BR) and it had 2 thermostats. Is this generally not the case in other resorts?

When we travel with our son and his family, they can get early breakfast for their toddler without waking up whoever is sleeping on the living room pull-out near the main kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter