Who's Up For A Ticket Upgrade Challenge?

calypso*a*go-go

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Okay -- I have a 6-day PH (4 + 2 free). I would like to upgrade this to a Deluxe AP w/the DVC Discount. Now here's where it gets tricky...how do I determine what the actual value of my ticket is towards the cost of the AP?

Would it just be the actual price I paid (which would be equal to a four day) or the value of a six day (which I can't even find for sale on the DL website)? Also, would it be more advantageous to upgrade after I have activated the ticket (would that somehow lock in a 6-day price vs. a 4-day)?

Last but not least...our last day of travel actually falls on 4/05 which is one of the days blocked out with a Deluxe AP...so could we actually enter the park using up the 6th day of the PH and then upgrade before we leave...or would it be too late at that point?

See I really want to upgrade, but don't want to pay for the Premium just because of one blocked out day, and on the flip-side, I don't want to be in a situation where we have nothing to do on our last day because we can't get into either of the parks once we get the Deluxe.

And these would be just a few of the reasons why my DH would be looking at me shaking his head! :teeth:

Your ticket is encoded with how much you paid for it, so regardless of the fact that it's a six day ticket, you'll be credited the four day ticket towards the cost of your pass. If you also upgrade on a block out day, it'll be fine. You'll be able to go back and forth between DL and DCA as well. It won't apply for that particular day, but if you happen to want to go the next day, and it's blocked, you might have a problem...

:goodvibes:

So it sounds like I should wait and upgrade on the 6th day just to make sure we can get into the park. Of course, the down side of that is we would only be able to take advantage of any AP discounts on shopping or dining on the last day instead of all six. Oh, what's a girl to do? :confused3

And with DLR it doesn't matter when you upgrade in terms of price, they don't have that little loophole it seems WDW, where you might end up paying less if you upgrade after entering a park, vs upgrading before you enter for the first time.

Figure out the cost of paying that $40 per person blockout pass fee vs the discounts you'll get (10% off most food) if you upgrade early in your visit.

Have you already bought your tickets? It might be helpful to just spring for the Premium pass if you plan on doing a lot of shopping and expensive dinning. It's also a $100 off with your DVC discount, correct?

Yes, we already have the PH's. I believe the DVC discount is only $20 ($100 discount is for WDW).

Thanks guys! At this point I guess we'll just see how we feel when we get there as to whether or not we will be returning within the next year. I'm afraid we've grown to consider WDW our favorite vacation spot...even though it's so much further away.

Did you see the new DVC magazine? Right now almost every food place is 10% off with DVC.

My personal suggestion is to wait till the last day to upgrade all the tickets but one. I would upgrade one pass the first day, that one I would upgrade to either deluxe or premium and use that single pass the whole trip for your discounts. Decide if with the possible $40 upgrade for black out and less discounts which pass is better, but you might find upgrading that one pass to premium might be worth it with the bigger discounts (food and merchandise).

Sure its two trips to the DL bank but I think the discounts should be worth it for your family.

We upgraded on a blockout day in December with no problem. We had access to both parks all day.

Before upgrading one ticket to an AP to get discounts, compare the Deluxe AP discounts to the DVC discounts. I think the biggest difference may be that there are AP discounts for DTD restaurants, but not for DVC. There is no difference for Disney restuarants. If upgrading will mean you need to buy one $40 blockout ticket, you will need to spend $400 at the AP only dicount locations (before the 10% discount) to come out ahead.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when we bought our Deluxe APS, we started out with the 3-day passes, so we could take advantage of early morning entry. So, make sure you use your early entry before you upgrade to your AP. Unless you're staying onsite, in which case you'll get early morning on all available days anyway.

I've seen on Getaway today that you can get 2 early morning entries from your 5 day passes. It looks like you've already bought your tickets, but for others reading who might be interested...
http://www.getawaytoday.com/TicketListing.aspx?dest_id=2

My personal suggestion is to wait till the last day to upgrade all the tickets but one. I would upgrade one pass the first day, that one I would upgrade to either deluxe or premium and use that single pass the whole trip for your discounts. Decide if with the possible $40 upgrade for black out and less discounts which pass is better, but you might find upgrading that one pass to premium might be worth it with the bigger discounts (food and merchandise).

Sure its two trips to the DL bank but I think the discounts should be worth it for your family.

I agree!! I agree!
This was the idea I was thinking about in my head as well! Great thoughts fairycat!
I know if I was in your shoes with my family that this is the idea I would use.
Anyhow enjoy your vacation and have a magical time at DL:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter