Who's traveled with other people's kids? Kids with out parents..

MW1981

Earning My Ears
I'm asking because I leave next Sunday on a family trip and I'm taking my sisters kids with but she's not going, according to disney you just need the online form that they provide signed by their mother and there birth certificate and that's it.
I saw a show on carnival and saw people getting denied boarding because they did not have proper documents for kids traveling with out parents, like some needed father approval as well as other things but disney said that just one patent needs to sign the paper and that's it.
So of course seeing that carnival episode got me paranoid and nervous, so is that truly all I need?

I've taken my nieces...several years ago...I have a signed letter from my sister giving me person/in my care. Now they have the form online and a copy of the birth cert. and you should be fine. Enjoy your vacation!!
I've seen one of the cruise shows with TE kids needing a consigns form from the dad.

I'm asking because I leave next Sunday on a family trip and I'm taking my sisters kids with but she's not going, according to disney you just need the online form that they provide signed by their mother and there birth certificate and that's it.
I saw a show on carnival and saw people getting denied boarding because they did not have proper documents for kids traveling with out parents, like some needed father approval as well as other things but disney said that just one patent needs to sign the paper and that's it.
So of course seeing that carnival episode got me paranoid and nervous, so is that truly all I need?
We took our niece and had all of the documentation but no one ever looked at it, neither DCL on boarding nor US Customs on return. She was travelling with a passport, not a birth certificate, so I don't know if that would make a difference. I would make sure you have more documentation than the minimum required to be safe. I would get signatures of both parents if possible even though they say it is no longer required.

When we went 2 years ago, my sil was with us and he had his daughter and paper work and we however, had no problem...however, with you, you have your sister's children..I would think having a letter and proper forms from her and maybe notorized will be what you will need. I am sure someone else will pop in here and give you info..

Thing is, one of there dads its non existent in his life, but I agree for one of the kids I still went the extra mile and had their dad sign a form just to be safe, but the boy (12) well his dad is just not in the picture and that's just not a possible task.
I called two diffrent times and spoke to 2 diffrent agents and they said the exact same thing, witch I should believe but of course after watching that carnival episode of all the people denied boarding or freaked me out, but I'm just hoping the agents on disney where correct about just their birth certificate and convent form from there mom being all that's needed, its just strange how diffrent cruises would ask for diffrent types of documents.
Thank you.

Thing is, one of there dads its non existent in his life, but I agree for one of the kids I still went the extra mile and had their dad sign a form just to be safe, but the boy (12) well his dad is just not in the picture and that's just not a possible task.
I called two diffrent times and spoke to 2 diffrent agents and they said the exact same thing, witch I should believe but of course after watching that carnival episode of all the people denied boarding or freaked me out, but I'm just hoping the agents on disney where correct about just their birth certificate and convent form from there mom being all that's needed, its just strange how diffrent cruises would ask for diffrent types of documents.
Thank you.

Hat episode was recorded a long time ago. I am worried about the same issue but I talked to Disney several times and the reassured me the signed form and. Certified birth certificate are all you need. There policies changed in the last few years to this new way.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

AdaraRae said:
Hat episode was recorded a long time ago. I am worried about the same issue but I talked to Disney several times and the reassured me the signed form and. Certified birth certificate are all you need. There policies changed in the last few years to this new way.

I am assuming if we have a passport for child we wouldn't need birth certificate. Is that correct?

I am assuming if we have a passport for child we wouldn't need birth certificate. Is that correct?

Correct. Just make sure you have the form filled out and signed properly.

My mom took my brother's kids last week. She had the Disney form and birth certificates. The form does not need to be notarized, so I did tell her to bring copies of the parent IDs just in case. We had no issues.

The only other form our attorney recommended having with us when we travelled with my nephews - an authorization form to allow me to sign for any and all emergency medical care required if the kids got hurt.

Our Attorney also advised us to get a Medical Power of Attorney from my daughter for our granddaughter.

Took my DD's BBF on the Dream cruise in April. She was 17 so we had her driver's license, DCL paperwork with her dad's signiture, and her birth certificate. They did look at the paperwork once we returned to the US. The medical release form is a good idea too.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We took my son on Disney back in 2004. This was before passports became popular for cruising. We had no problem getting my son on the cruise. However I did not list a father on his birth certificate. The only time not having a father caused a problem was when he joined the Navy. I see now that I was saved alot of grief by leaving him off.

Do they still allow to cruise with birth certificates? i thought a valid passport is a requirement for ALL, adults and children.... :confused3:

The only other form our attorney recommended having with us when we travelled with my nephews - an authorization form to allow me to sign for any and all emergency medical care required if the kids got hurt.

that is a great point!!!:thumbsup2

We are thinking taking our DD's friend on a cruise with us. Thank you all for your helpful posts! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter