Who's taking their kids out of school in September?

We are taking our 1st and 4th graders out for our trip Sept. 8-15. We took them out last year the same week and things went so well that when free dining was offered again this year, we decided to do it again. School starts August 15 here so they will have time to settle in. My 4th grader will have standardized testing the week after he gets back (as he did last year), and I know from last year's experience that much of the time before that is spent in review.

I feel somewhat guilty about doing this, but my kids do very well in school, they both completed all work missed before they returned to school and my son did well last year on his standardized tests. I also find myself angry at our school for shaving more and more time from their summer break.

So I guess I use this rationale, combined with the money saved and the low stress level of Sept. travel (a real vacation!) to alleviate my guilt and justify their missing school! I guess I won't know until they are grown up if it was the right thing to do!;)

We are taking our 5th grader out for 4 days. Our younger DS will be in pre-school still.

My kids start school Sept. 4th and I am taking them out Sept. 12-19. The first couple weeks are just review and I do this with them all summer so we decided that it was the perfect time to go. I'm going to talk to the school at the open house so they have more notice though.

From a teacher's point of view, I'd just like to point out that the first couple of weeks of school are not just review.

The kids work on learning the rules and routines of the classroom. They get to know their new classmates and teachers. They learn their new schedule, and get accustomed to all of the "new and different" things.

Kids who miss those first couple of weeks often come in feeling out of it. They're behind - although not academically - because they don't have the experiences with the rules and routines that their classmates do. They're spending time and concentration catching up on those things at the same time that new curriculum is being introduced.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it................just letting you know. It's hard to be a teacher and be told that your first two weeks (some people say SIX weeks!) are "just review".

I didn't mean to offend any teachers out there. I was told the first two weeks were review by my DS's former teacher. I am very active at the school and will make sure my kids a fully aware of such rules. My children will be at school for the first 6 days and in years past all this has been completed within that time frame. I help at the school almost daily and see child after child that maybe at school everyday but never do their homework and are far behind others. My children may miss school for a week or so every year but I can positively tell you neither of my children have ever missed a homework assignment in all their years in school.

My DS will be a senior this year and will miss a week of class, Sept 15-22.....he knows he has to make up the work in a timely manner. This will be the third year in a row and he has done fine. That said, he will be in college next year so missing school is probably not an option. :(

We are also taking my DNiece (2nd grade) and DNephew(kindergarten) out during the same period. We took DNiece two years ago during December and the teacher had told her that she had to stay in during recesses until she got her work caught up. She knew it in advance and was fine with it.....it took her 4 days of missing recess and a little extra homework for a few days to get caught up but she is willing to do it again.

DD is entering 3rd grade and she will be missing 5 days of school in September. She is a great student and we have done this the last 3 years. We get her work ahead of time and she works on it every night in the hotel room to get it done.

I will be taking my 7th grade ds out the last week of Sept. He starts back Aug 6, so will be almost 2 months into school by that time. He's a good student and has no problem catching up.

I too am taking my DD11 (entering 6th grade) out of school this Sept for free dining. September 21-30 are our travel dates and she will miss 5 days of school. I have taken her out for 5 days every school year since 2nd grade for our trip to WDW. We do homework on the flight down, flight back and sunday evening before going back to school. We do not do any homework once we hit WDW though, too much fun goin' on. She has always been able to hand her completed homework in the monday she returns to school and is also a straight A student. However, if she struggled in school I would not take her out and will probably not take her out for a full week once she enters high school. I do however feel a bit guilty for taking her out of school, but I really don't know why:confused3

We will be taking my dd out Sept. 13 -18. She will be in Kindergarten this year and will be in school for 2 weeks before we take her out.

My kids start back at school this friday Aug 3 and we are taking them out of school for our Sept 16 disney trip .. we will be that the world till the 24th so they both will miss 6 days of school..

My son is in 1st grade & My daughter is in kindergarten So I'm just going to be up front with the school and ask for all their homework 2 weeks before their trip ..

They will do their homework on the 8 hour car ride down ..:thumbsup2
~Amanda

Wow~I feel like a rebel. We are taking our sons out of school from 8/31 to
9/09. Then again for a week at the end of January `08 for a land and sea trip (first cruise ever)! Our kids start school 8/22. My way of thinking is the kids need to learn the importance of family as well as academics. It also doesn't hurt that they are both merit students and I have the teachers give them the work to do ahead of time before we leave. It's not much of a vacation if they dread coming back and have to work twice as hard!

A few things...
I too will be taking my DD out of school for our trip this February (she'll be in 2nd grade). She'll be missing 3 days; we are leaving a few days early before their actual break.

I'm a teacher in the district where my child attends (different school). As another teacher posted, the first few weeks are more than just a review (don't worry- I don't get offended by people thinking that!). It is a time when we get to know each other, learn the classroom rules and routines and actually begin new lessons. I have personally witnessed children who have missed the first few days (or more); they almost always have a harder time "fitting in" because friendships have already begun to form. Now, if your child has lots of friends in the classroom, missing out those few days won't hinder him/her as much, but can still be an adjustment for when they return.

As for the homework deal... I don't mind giving parents SOME of what we'll be doing while the child is gone, if that's what they want. I have also given the work to them when they return, giving the child one night for every day missed (i.e. gone for a week, get a week to do the work). It is impossible for me to give out everything; many things we do are hands-on and cannot be duplicated. Also, I think one thing parents have to understand (and this includes me this year!) is that if your child misses something that is taught in a lesson or lessons while he/she is gone, and then that information is tested or assessed, you will have to deal with whatever grade or assessment that your child is given. I say this not to be harsh but because I have a teacher-friend who was yelled at once by a parent for giving her child a low mark on the report card. The child had missed 10 days of school (this was in a middle school). The child had missed some important lessons that week, so a low grade was given when the student didn't know the answers. My friend stood her ground, but the parent was still angry.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this; I just thought you might want to hear another teacher's perspective. All this being said, go to Disney and have a great time! We teachers don't expect you to do (all) work but to enjoy your time with your family!:goodvibes

It is a short week with Labor day anyway and they never have much homework the first couple weeks...:thumbsup2

I always look for short weeks to take DD out when we go on DCL too. She never misses more than 3 days. That way we don't have too much homework to make up.:goodvibes

She is going in to 4th grade. I just could not miss the chance to get awaya few days for my Birthday and Free dining!!!!!!:woohoo:

Michelle

We are pullinig our two out for the week of Sept 8th- the 15th. Our son is going in the 7th and our daughter is going in the 4th. We have had a very hard year, due to a death in the family. There grandmother passed away in February and this trip was her last present to the kids. So we are going and planning on making it the best vacation we have ever had in her memory. We hope there teachers will understand this. I have requested there homework for the week will be gone and I am like others on here, we want them to get it done early that way they will not have any to make up when we get back.

We are pullinig our two out for the week of Sept 8th- the 15th. Our son is going in the 7th and our daughter is going in the 4th. We have had a very hard year, due to a death in the family. There grandmother passed away in February and this trip was her last present to the kids. So we are going and planning on making it the best vacation we have ever had in her memory. We hope there teachers will understand this. I have requested there homework for the week will be gone and I am like others on here, we want them to get it done early that way they will not have any to make up when we get back.

I just wanted to send you :wizard: for your upcoming trip. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. Please don't worry about the school. There are things more important in life and if this story doesn't say it I don't know what does!:hug:

For my DS's, school starts on Sept. 6. It is a half day with friday the 7th being the first full day of school. My DS's will miss the first day and a half of school. I don't feel guilty at all. They know what is expected and I have home schooled before. I can teach ruled and while in line at Disney. In 2005, I picked the week in October where the school was out for teacher inservices as well as a couple of religious holidays. They missed 3 days total. :)

Hello! We are going to Pop Sept. 16-22. My kids will miss school from the Sept.17-21. One will be in the 8th grade the twins will be in the 11th grade. We have always taken vacations during the school year. We have never takent them out for over a week. Overall things have ran smooth. It tends to get more difficult in middle school and high school due to all the different teachers--99% are great about it but we have hit a couple that act like we have commited a crime. But its are decision--its life and we are gonna live! The have a odd/even schedule so some classes it will be a 3 day miss and others 2 days. My kids love school! No problem with the missing time so that helps. We really wanted to do a 2 week vacation but we didnt want to pull them out that long. My husband stays to busy with work in the summer months to take off. We usually do May vacations. This will be are first Sept. vacation. Have FUN!
Cristy

Hi, We are going Jan 29th 2008 - Feb 3rd 2008. We have 3 kids, twins 5th grade and a daughter that will be 7th grade. No I don't feel guilty, because we are parents that always makes sure that there homework is done and they study alot for test. The school system will not like this at all. We live in Georgia and I know of a parent that took their child out last year for a week and the principal said that they could have been FINED for this. That to me is crazy. My kids don't miss unless they are really sick. Our school policy is they can only have 3 days of parent excuses per semester and if they are out anymore than that, then they better have a doctor's note. They also turn the parents over to the Board of Eduacation and if the teacher wants to give them 0's for the work missed, then she can. What is so bad is that my husband has worked for the school system for 24 years and me 10 years. Feb 2nd is our daughters 13th birthday and thats the only reason we are going. She's not getting a party at home, so she will be having a 13th party with just us at WDW. OH what fun. This will be something that we all will remember. They will only miss 3 or 4 days of school and we will make sure they make up their work. So that's our story. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter