• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who's golfed Disney?

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Seeing the thread about golf accessories made me think I should ask here about the courses at Disney. We were going to take DD11 and DS9 to play the (I believe it was) Palm walking course at the end of our SWW trip, but it was closed. Thought it looked the most kid-friendly. But who here could give some reviews of where they've played? Were the courses interesting? I'm sure they're well-maintained. Any shade from the broiling FL sun? Were they worth the cost (understanding we're talking Mouse Dollars, of course...)? Any tips? Any discounts ever available (besides with packages)? Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Seeing the thread about golf accessories made me think I should ask here about the courses at Disney. We were going to take DD11 and DS9 to play the (I believe it was) Palm walking course at the end of our SWW trip, but it was closed. Thought it looked the most kid-friendly. But who here could give some reviews of where they've played? Were the courses interesting? I'm sure they're well-maintained. Any shade from the broiling FL sun? Were they worth the cost (understanding we're talking Mouse Dollars, of course...)? Any tips? Any discounts ever available (besides with packages)? Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Are your kids good golfers already? If not, it would be better for them to learn at a local course near your home first. Or play the last round of the day so you don't hold up the more serious golfers.

Or take them to one of the miniature golf courses on the property.

My husband and adult son have played all of the 18 hole courses-my husband plays every other day on every vacation there.

He has a 7 handicap and he says the courses are challenging. I don't think any of them would be enjoyable for a beginning golfer. I know that the PGA plays on the Magnolia course which has a Mickey shaped bunker.

The nine hole walking course is Oak Trail. My wife, son and I have enjoyed our rounds there. None of us are particularly good golfers.

Is there a new theme park called Golf? Does it have a club level? Are the lines long for the cart ride? Didn't mean to T anyone off, but someone seemed to take a wrong board at the 19th hole.

I wouldn't say any of us are particularly good, but we do have good enough manners to let faster groups play through. However, if the courses are just too tough to be fun, that's another story. Sounds like our first stop should be Oak Trail; hopefully it'll be open next trip. Thanks!!

I would say to start at Oak Trail. My DS11 is a serious golfer and he's not ready for Palm or Magnolia. These courses are very challenging and usually packed with good golfers and due to DS's age he cannot yet hit the ball far enough to not slow down the pace of play. Oak Trail can be tiring because the course winds back into the woods and if you decided to stop after 6 holes (like we did :lmao:) then it's a very long hike back to the club house. Also there is not much shade and it is strictly a walking course. Another option is a playing lesson with a pro. The pro takes the child on whatever course they choose and lets them play the course with instruction. We did this for my DS a couple years ago and in the
2 1/2 hrs they only got through the 6th hole at LBV but my son had a blast doing it. There are also 45 min private jr lessons. My DS11 has lessons twice a year every am while we're there with the same instructor. The instructor is wonderful and thanks to him my DS is now competing in local tournaments :goodvibes

Thanks for the info, Jonell!! I didn't know they offered lessons. DD11 played on her middle school golf team this year and really advanced well considering the only instruction she got was from me LOL. That would be great for her! Thanks so much, and good luck to your DS!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you do the 9-hole walking course at Oak Trail, make your tee time NO LATER THAN 7:30 am. I beg you, whatever is the earliest time, make it that time.

It gets so awfully hot and humid near mid-day that your children will suffer and it will not be enjoyable for them. That is all.

Heehee...my DD has zero percent body fat and is perpetually cold. But trust me--for my own survival, we'll be darn sure to pay attention to the weather! Our SWW trip had perfect weather every day. Hoping to get down the first week of March for Braves spring training, so maybe we'll get a nice day to play then.

Is there a new theme park called Golf? Does it have a club level? Are the lines long for the cart ride? Didn't mean to T anyone off, but someone seemed to take a wrong board at the 19th hole.

thanks for the insight on disney golf.

on topic, we played the palm last time we were there and it was really nice. if you have a premium AP you can play for free on the Oak Trail and there are aso DVC discounts. We are thinking about taking my 3 and 7 year old to play 9 on Oak Trail in October. Of course, we would speed them up so we would not hold up anyone playing behind us. But in December, that course looked like there weren't a lot of people on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter