Who would I contact?

BibbidyBobbidyBoo

<font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Help- I've looked everywhere on disney.com and can't find a place to contact someone (preferably by email if not by phone) about a situation I want to complain about!
On our recent trip when I checked in- they told me I could charge to my room if I left a credit card- but I made it very clear that I intended on paying for the charges with a check... a credit card check to be technical about it. They said there would be no problem with doing that. However, on the night of our last full day we received an 'express checkout' pamphlet on our door when I had not asked for express checkout! (do they do that for everyone even if you don't ask for it? Or just automatically if you have a credit card on file or what?)

Anyway, when I went to guest services to get that cleared up since I intended on paying with the check- at first they said I signed up for express checkout (no, I did not! and wasn't asked if I wanted it either) and then they said they couldn't accept personal checks, much less a credit card check. When I questioned that- finally she said she would accept it but for some reason she said it wouldn't clear telecheck system they have there (I have no idea why... the credit card check I was wanting to use is because it was zero interest for 12mo and a much higher limit on that card. The limit I could write the check was $5,000 and I was only writing it for $310~! Also they told me at check in that I could write it for $200 over which is what I was going to do simply because there is a "fee" for writing those checks and writing it for more wouldn't have made the fee any larger).

Well she said the check wouldn't go through but she had already previously said it could only be written for $50 over the amount of charges. Okay whatever... they seriously have issues of one person saying different things than the other. So the check wouldn't go through and the charges stayed the same but I didn't realize at that time that the charges went on the card I'd given when I signed in- BECAUSE I had been told when I checked in that I could pay with the check!

I just now realized that the credit card I had given for the charges (thinking the charges never would be put on that card) was with a $300 limit- so it was over the limit and I got charged a $29 overlimit fee plus my interest rate went up (one of those things where if you have any late or overlimit fees your rate is jacked up sky high). arghhh- this never would have happened had the original person when I checked in told me the proper information- I would have just given my debit/credit card to use for charges had I been told I couldn't use the check to pay the balance! And I never was asked nor authorized express checkout- I wouldn't do that because I had planned on paying the charges with a check and not charged to that credit card! When I checked in I was told I had to use a credit card even though I was going to pay the charges with a check- so apparently I just gave her that card thinking nothing of it... thinking it wouldn't matter the limit on that card because I wouldn't be actually charging the charges to that card when I checked out. Then when I checked out 11 day later- I guess when it all didn't work out and they had to charge the card, I forgot I'd used that card... I thought I'd used my debit card and in fact had already deducted that amount in my checkbook! I'm just realizing it went to that credit card and caused the overlimit fee and higher interest rate just because I went to check all my credit cards online and pay them all off as I do monthly.

I don't expect anything in return for what they have cost me now (the fee and higher interest rate- I'll pay the amount off now but that card is useless to me now, I can never use it with such a high interest rate and I hope it doesn't affect my other credit cards or they'll be useless to me also!) but I would like to complain to someone in authority (we stayed at ASMo) because this is just not right to get conflicting info, be told the wrong things, have them do express checkout and charge your card when you didn't ask for that and specifically said you wanted to pay with a check. Btw- the reason I put the card for our charges in the first place, even though intending on paying for the charges with the check, is because the lady when I checked in said we could NOT just write a check to cover any charges while we were there... she said that couldn't be done because we might write the check for way over what we actually spent and they couldn't give us too much cash back on personal checks.

Very annoying and I'd like to let someone know what their "conflicting info" and doing express checkout without authorization to do so is costing their customers (namely myself) :(

Express Check Out is automatic if you have a credit card linked to your room key and have outstanding charges.
Edited to add this information is printed in the Disney literature given to guests at check in (ie the newpaper type info guide on the resort) under "What time is check out?"

I was specifically informed by CM that all cards are charged at the end of each day. Which my card was charged. I also do remember it being in the paper work they give you at check in when they take your card info.

General Manager All Star.......
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:
Help- I've looked everywhere on disney.com and can't find a place to contact someone (preferably by email if not by phone) about a situation I want to complain about!
On our recent trip when I checked in- they told me I could charge to my room if I left a credit card- but I made it very clear that I intended on paying for the charges with a check... a credit card check to be technical about it. They said there would be no problem with doing that. However, on the night of our last full day we received an 'express checkout' pamphlet on our door when I had not asked for express checkout! (do they do that for everyone even if you don't ask for it? Or just automatically if you have a credit card on file or what?)

Anyway, when I went to guest services to get that cleared up since I intended on paying with the check- at first they said I signed up for express checkout (no, I did not! and wasn't asked if I wanted it either) and then they said they couldn't accept personal checks, much less a credit card check. When I questioned that- finally she said she would accept it but for some reason she said it wouldn't clear telecheck system they have there (I have no idea why... the credit card check I was wanting to use is because it was zero interest for 12mo and a much higher limit on that card. The limit I could write the check was $5,000 and I was only writing it for $310~! Also they told me at check in that I could write it for $200 over which is what I was going to do simply because there is a "fee" for writing those checks and writing it for more wouldn't have made the fee any larger).

Well she said the check wouldn't go through but she had already previously said it could only be written for $50 over the amount of charges. Okay whatever... they seriously have issues of one person saying different things than the other. So the check wouldn't go through and the charges stayed the same but I didn't realize at that time that the charges went on the card I'd given when I signed in- BECAUSE I had been told when I checked in that I could pay with the check!

I just now realized that the credit card I had given for the charges (thinking the charges never would be put on that card) was with a $300 limit- so it was over the limit and I got charged a $29 overlimit fee plus my interest rate went up (one of those things where if you have any late or overlimit fees your rate is jacked up sky high). arghhh- this never would have happened had the original person when I checked in told me the proper information- I would have just given my debit/credit card to use for charges had I been told I couldn't use the check to pay the balance! And I never was asked nor authorized express checkout- I wouldn't do that because I had planned on paying the charges with a check and not charged to that credit card! When I checked in I was told I had to use a credit card even though I was going to pay the charges with a check- so apparently I just gave her that card thinking nothing of it... thinking it wouldn't matter the limit on that card because I wouldn't be actually charging the charges to that card when I checked out. Then when I checked out 11 day later- I guess when it all didn't work out and they had to charge the card, I forgot I'd used that card... I thought I'd used my debit card and in fact had already deducted that amount in my checkbook! I'm just realizing it went to that credit card and caused the overlimit fee and higher interest rate just because I went to check all my credit cards online and pay them all off as I do monthly.

I don't expect anything in return for what they have cost me now (the fee and higher interest rate- I'll pay the amount off now but that card is useless to me now, I can never use it with such a high interest rate and I hope it doesn't affect my other credit cards or they'll be useless to me also!) but I would like to complain to someone in authority (we stayed at ASMo) because this is just not right to get conflicting info, be told the wrong things, have them do express checkout and charge your card when you didn't ask for that and specifically said you wanted to pay with a check. Btw- the reason I put the card for our charges in the first place, even though intending on paying for the charges with the check, is because the lady when I checked in said we could NOT just write a check to cover any charges while we were there... she said that couldn't be done because we might write the check for way over what we actually spent and they couldn't give us too much cash back on personal checks.

Very annoying and I'd like to let someone know what their "conflicting info" and doing express checkout without authorization to do so is costing their customers (namely myself) :(
BTW, if you pay your card off each month, you shouldn't be charged ANY interest, so maybe you can still use it, even with the higher rate! :confused3 Good Luck!!

If you go to the official WDW site there is a link at the very bottom of the page that says contact us. You should be able to email them your complaint this way. Hope this helps and what you are looking for.

May I make a small suggestion... you lost me about half way through the story. Edit it down somewhat when you send it to Disney.

I agree with you in that there were too many people telling you many different things. I will tell you my experience with Telecheck though, they almost never go through.

I worked at a computer store and they had telecheck, who guarantees the checks if they are taken properly, and b/c they are responsible for the amount, they never approve checks.

Though they should have told you the correct thing from the beginning, the telecheck thing isn't their fault really, other than the Disney corporation choosing to have it.

Good luck in your quest, I would have been really mad too!

Credit card checks are not going to go through TeleCheck. TeleCheck is used for banks and deposit-based accounts. Banks report general activity to these services (NSFs, suspected kiting, etc.) and they accept or turn down checks based on this information. They do not know if the check is actually good, they are just making a judgement based on the reported info.

Since they have no access to balance information, credit card checks would be useless for this scenario. Also, I would not be surprised if they didn't accept credit card checks as they are entirely different beast then a personal check. From working in a bank I can tell you a great many of those checks get returned because the credit card companies 'nit pick' over the way they are filled out or used and you cannot run the number and amount through the credit card machine either.

I am surprised Disney accepts them. They are very different than a regular check and are most suspect to fraud. We have our own business and we no longer accept them. Thye take forever to clear, as they clear in stages, and cn be returned NSF weeks after the check has been deposited and cleared for some reason. I am surprised that WDW will let you check in without a credit card or travelers check card of some kind or other form of secured funds. I think that's what I read...not sure your post gets a bit confusing mid way thru.

I agree about editing your story before you send it in to Disney! It's a little confusing. By the way, you probably did or will take a hit on your FICO score if the CC company reports your account as over the limit - you may want to mention that in your letter. Good luck!

I figured I'd take a hit on FICO because of the overlimit fee also. :(

I do pay the credit cards off monthly but I won't USE a credit card that has an extremely high rate JUST IN CASE I can't pay it off that month, KWIM? I like to have that cushion just in case DH doesn't get overtime for a few weeks or whatever.

Are you sure there isn't a $500 minimum on your check?
Even if there was- I was only writing it for $360 ($310 charges plus $50 they then said was the limit you could write over when previously they had said $200 over when I checked in).

Ofcourse my post here is longer than what I would write to them. :rotfl:

That explains why telecheck didn't accept the check. They could have informed me of the policy of automatic express checkout if you have a card on file since I'd already told them I'd be paying for it with a check- that way I'd KNOW I'd have to pay before they charged me the last full day of our stay (checking out the next day). They did not charge daily... they charged on the last day. I think it stinks to have a customer say they'll put the card (because they said you have to -to be able to charge on your room key) but they are going to pay for it and not have the card charged- and they DON'T tell you it will automatically be charged in express checkout and expect you to just read that in the massive folder of stuff they give you? Uncool, IMO.

Gonga- no, they won't let you check in and charge to your room without putting the credit card on your account. But they said I could pay the charges off with the credit card check... and never mentioned it would automatically be charged with express checkout without even requesting that... in fact saying I didn't WANT it to be charged. That's why I'm upset- in addition to the check not being accepted and being told different things from them at check in and check out. Then ultimately BECAUSE of what I was told- the charges ended up on a credit card that resulted in me having overlimit fee, etc. I never would have put it on that card if I'd known express checkout would be automatic nor if I'd known the check I told them I'd be using wouldn't be accepted. I'd have put it on my debit card instead or made sure I stayed under the $300 limit on that card or given them another card with a higher limit. (I'm leary of using a debit card since your room key could be lost/stolen and used and you have less "fighting" power of fraudulent charges with a debit card).

Thanks for all the info/etc. :)

Actually your ability to fight fraudulent charges on your Debit OR Credit card are the same. If you report it right away the most you are held liable for is $50.00 and most banks will waive this.

Well I think that's a YMMV depending on the bank. I've already been through a situation with my debit card where it was used for a subscription and when I cancelled they kept charging. My bank wouldn't do anything about it -I had to fight it with the subscription company and wait for them to refund me. :(

i checked in and paid my balance off with cash and then I gave them $500 cash to use for charging things to the room. Room service and things from Mara. Every 3 or 4 days I would go down to the front desk and have them give me a print out and add more money to my "account" if I thought we would be spending more. That worked out well and saved me from having a terrible credit card bill when I got home. We also used our debit card when we needed to. The did say we could use checks for different things, but I really dont remember their rules about it.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:
Well I think that's a YMMV depending on the bank. I've already been through a situation with my debit card where it was used for a subscription and when I cancelled they kept charging. My bank wouldn't do anything about it -I had to fight it with the subscription company and wait for them to refund me. :(

You should never have issues like that using a debit card, that's one of the pluses of using it, you can always have it lcosed and issue a new one. that's why I tell my customers to put monthly charges and the like on the debit card rather than giving out their account info, it's easier to stop.

If your bank would not help you fight an unauthorized payment (especially in the current climate), then I would find a new bank.

Another reason to keep things simple. Yes I understand what was being said by differant CMs, but those CMs do not really have anything to lose.

There could have been so many ways for you to HANDLE things without putting your credit rating/finances in the hands of CMs. How hard would it have been to just put it on a CC, let the charge go through and THEN send that CC company the check in question?

I am sure there could have been 10 other ways for you to handle things without relying on CMs.

Now I am not saying it is your fault, but it is typical disney. Ask one CM get one anwser, ask another one and you get a differant answer. It is a prob. So why risk ones finances?

If you don't get a reply from the GM, or as a secondary measure, you can email wdw.guest.communications@disney.com and they will forward it the resort GM. Did I get that address correct? It looks weird to me! Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if disney takes care of your over limit charge as a goodwill gesture..at least if it was me I would so fingers crossed for you!

You've been given the proper avenues to contact Disney.

I'd also suggest calling the issuing bank of your credit card, and asking to have your rate lowered. They may not, but it's worth it. I had my interest rate lowered from 22% to 12% just by asking.

If you still want to use that card, anyway. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter