who works at Target?

Your title intrigued me "Who works at Target?" I thought you were asking if any employee at Target actually does any work? Because I know at my Target that I frequent (only when necessary) no one "works" there.

at our targets thursday is the day that the computers download automatic markdowns and mondays are the days the store does there additional markdowns.

I am in charge of all the childrens clothes at my Target, and in my store markdowns are done every day of the week. It depends on what items you are looking for? We do not know ahead of time what items will be markdown until(as some one said) they are downloaded. And even then you can only go ahead one day(as far as I am aware.) Believe me if there was some way i could find out what was going on clearance next week I would be the first one to try to learn how :teeth: . Hope this helps!

Okay, my Mom, my Bf, my cousin and myself are all Managers at Target.

And let me say Cindy's Mom--I work pretty hard! :teeth:

Anyways....each department has a different markdown day. For example, Housewares Tuesday, Domestics and Ladiesware Wednesdays.....etc.

Also, each store marks them down at different times. I know my store is behind a week and there are other stores in the area that could be 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Are you looking for anything in particular?!

Melissa princess:

Mitchell said:

And let me say Cindy's Mom--I work pretty hard! :teeth:

Anyways....each department has a different markdown day. For example, Housewares Tuesday, Domestics and Ladiesware Wednesdays.....etc.

Also, each store marks them down at different times. I know my store is behind a week and there are other stores in the area that could be 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Are you looking for anything in particular?!

Melissa princess:

Mitchell - my problem with Target and Walmart is that they open up early on Sundays (Target at 8, walmart at 7) but they do not have any staff on the registers. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY, they want us in the stores early but make it so inconvenient for us to shop there. I have been going to Target EVERY Sat morning for the last 4 years at 8a for my diapers and formula (I use the housebrand so I have to go there) and every week I walk out of there a wreck. I stated in my OP that no one works at the one I frequent; I did not mean any disrespect whatsoever.

Mitchell said:

Melissa princess:

Okay-- I can't resist although it's off topic. Can you please explain WHY they really must do this? It drives me nuts. I know it's out of your hands as a manager (though I think managers should be able to have some discretion and power to make exceptions). I also am NOT attacking you at all-I just find shopping at Target increasingly frustrating and was hoping you could give a non-boloney answer like the one from the people I've talked to @ Target. There are two Targets w/in 10 miles of each other, one by home, one by DD's pre-school. I always find cool stuff at the one and try to find a different size, etc. that I need at the other one and the prices are ridiculously different. I've pretty much stopped shopping at the one near home, a Super Target, because of this. I also think it is ridiculous that Targets don't price match each other. It is the same store!
I don't think it is too much to ask that if I walk into the same store, 10 miles away, the same item will be the same price. As a manager, it must be frustrating for you to deal with customers and explain this. I have written to corporate explaining my feelings about this. A store that makes it hard to shop in loses business. I used to LOVE Target, but not anymore. Thanks for letting me vent and for any insight you might be able to share.

I used to drive about 25 miles to get to a Target. This was ten years ago. Now we have one here and I love to go there. This week they had some scrapbook stickers on clearance. I just wondered if I could figure out what day of the week the scrapbook supplies would go on clearance. :cool1:

I love Target and spend a small fortune there but I do have MAJOR issues with their return policies. It is horrid and very unfriendly. My kids got some Xmas gifts and we took them to Wal-Mart to exchange since returns there are virtually hassle free.

My Mom had purchased a pack of 2 belts for my oldest DD and they were too big so we went back the same day to simply exchange the Mediums for Smalls and they wouldnt let us since we didnt have the receipt or the credit card that it was purchased on.

MCMom

From someone who lives 45 minutes from a Target, and an hour and fifteen minutes from the Target I like, I LOVE Target. I enjoy a change from Wal Mart, which I do have just minutes away.

soccerchick said:
Okay-- I can't resist although it's off topic. Can you please explain WHY they really must do this? It drives me nuts. I know it's out of your hands as a manager (though I think managers should be able to have some discretion and power to make exceptions). I also am NOT attacking you at all-I just find shopping at Target increasingly frustrating and was hoping you could give a non-boloney answer like the one from the people I've talked to @ Target. There are two Targets w/in 10 miles of each other, one by home, one by DD's pre-school. I always find cool stuff at the one and try to find a different size, etc. that I need at the other one and the prices are ridiculously different. I've pretty much stopped shopping at the one near home, a Super Target, because of this. I also think it is ridiculous that Targets don't price match each other. It is the same store!
I don't think it is too much to ask that if I walk into the same store, 10 miles away, the same item will be the same price. As a manager, it must be frustrating for you to deal with customers and explain this. I have written to corporate explaining my feelings about this. A store that makes it hard to shop in loses business. I used to LOVE Target, but not anymore. Thanks for letting me vent and for any insight you might be able to share.

I worked as a manager at Target several years ago. Here is the way it was explained to me when I was confronted by a guest with this question. The prices do not match because some items sell better in some areas and not others. That is why something can be on clearance at one store and full price at another in the same town. I also found this very frustrating at times. HTH

Ariel's mom -- thanks for taking the time to write the explanation - it was a nicer, friendlier version of what I got from the store that is close as well as from Corporate.

A tad more venting ;) Why not allow a price match though? I am willing to go to a second store to spend more $$, will probably buy more than I came in to get (almost ALWAYS do) and it helps build that store loyalty from that customer? When speaking to the managers, it seems like they have absolutely NO room to make any judgements on their own -- very unlike my many years in retail many moons ago. I also realize there are plenty of dishonest people to make the return policies, etc. so stringent, but Target has taken the approch of punishing everybody for the sins of a few.

Walmart also doesn't price match other stores so its not just Target- I know for us- Price matching is done with stores within a certain mile radius (for us its 5 miles) and so prices may be different I know for my dept for the longest time we (my store and the local Target) had a price war on Hot Wheels Cars to the point we both lost lots of money- and it made the other walmarts mad because people wanted to price match there but because they didnt have a target they didnt- (finally that ended... now instead of loosing 30+ dollars a case we make about 10...)

Another thing is that things sell better or worse and how much they ordered plays into it- If I have an item I have 20 of that sells pretty well I wont mark it near as low as the next store where its a crappy seller and they have 200...

Personally I like Target for lots of things- and if Im off work I tend to head there :)

-em

ArielsMommy said:
I worked as a manager at Target several years ago. Here is the way it was explained to me when I was confronted by a guest with this question. The prices do not match because some items sell better in some areas and not others. That is why something can be on clearance at one store and full price at another in the same town. I also found this very frustrating at times. HTH

As a former - NOTE FORMER - Target "team member" I can verify this. It is called micro marketing so that your Target's merchandise meets the needs of your community. If it wasn't done, there would be snow boots in Florida. ;)

As for matching, it is not done because of the nightmare it would create.

The return policy used to be a LOT more liberal. I used to routinely give $300 cash refunds on items with no receipts. Can you imagine??? They just finally decided enough was enough and instituted the tougher policies. Thank goodness I was gone before that started...

I've worked for Target for 4 and half years and Love it!!!!

Cindy's Mom.....if you meant that Target team members don't "work" becasue they are totally enjoying their jobs to the point that it is FUN....well then I agree.
Our team is like family and in every Target I have been in, whether to work or for support help, that is what it is like!!!! :goodvibes :grouphug:
I have worked in retail for 16 years and have had positions in many other retail establishments....including the Disney Store!! and Target is the best company ever!
I have work many long days (sometimes 14 to 16 hours) in order to have the store look good and be able to satisfy the guests. And we are commited to the guests!

I am one of those managers that has to explain to guests all the time about our return policy and the timing of clearance. So your complaints are not surprising, but let me say they do not get ignored! And there are very good reasons for the policies the put in place.......however.. I don't think this is the place to go into that. If you want to email me or send a PM......I would be glad to explain some things.

If you want to know what days a department is marked down, just ask at the store. I usually find someone in the department I'm curious about and ask. They do markdowns a thru the week, but each department has a specific day that markdowns occur. From what I understand it's done by state (actually region, but I doubt you'd be traveling to different states just to shop at Target LOL), so every store in your state should have the same markdown days.

I know that Walmart will temporarily lower a price in one store to match a competitor discount nearby.

tippytoe said:
I know that Walmart will temporarily lower a price in one store to match a competitor discount nearby.
That is called "comp shopping" :)
A common practice in many retailers including Target.
That is one reason you will see "Temporary Price Cut" signs all over the store.
Therefore.....no reason to "match" a price because in most cases it has already been addressed. :goodvibes
And another reason why one store will have a lower price than another store in the same district.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter