Who, What, When, How of Tipping on DCL

We travel concierge and tip based upon the size suite our stateroom is. In a Cat T, we double the base tip and give extra for better service. In a Cat R, we tip 4x. We plan on $20 per room service breakfast delivered. Palo in suite we tip $15-20 per person. Concierge bartender: $5 per night(given last night) + added tip for providing drinks without our needing to order, $20 each for concierge food servers, Concierge: minimum $25 each on a 3 nt cruise, Concierge on classic: minimum $200 each on 7 nt cruise.

I must be having a need-more-coffee day: sorry for requesting clarification! :)

So what I am hearing is that, because you are in concierge, you multiply the auto-gratuities from 2 to 4 times. In addition to MDR and stateroom host, you tip several "extra" positions, as follows:
Concierge bartender -- $5/night
Concierge food servers -- $20 each flat rate
Concierge hosts -- $25+ per night each

You also tip room service at a higher rate than we have noted, specifically $20 for each breakfast and $15-$20/person for Palo in suite.

Is that correct?

For others who have traveled concierge, have you handled your tipping differently?

I must be having a need-more-coffee day: sorry for requesting clarification! :)

So what I am hearing is that, because you are in concierge, you multiply the auto-gratuities from 2 to 4 times. In addition to MDR and stateroom host, you tip several "extra" positions, as follows:
Concierge bartender -- $5/night
Concierge food servers -- $20 each flat rate
Concierge hosts -- $25+ per night each

You also tip room service at a higher rate than we have noted, specifically $20 for each breakfast and $15-$20/person for Palo in suite.

Is that correct?

For others who have traveled concierge, have you handled your tipping differently?

Yes, we tip that way. A Cat T is double the space of a Cat V, includes 2 bathrooms, so double the work=double the tip. A Cat R is another Cat V+ Cat + more space + another half bath. Much more work=more tip.

Yes, we tip that way. A Cat T is double the space of a Cat V, includes 2 bathrooms, so double the work=double the tip. A Cat R is another Cat V+ Cat + more space + another half bath. Much more work=more tip.

Very logical :) And it is cool that you have it figured out so clearly.

Okey doke :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

For the automatic gratutities for stateroom host and servers:

You can go to guest services and increase OR decrease any of the 4 amounts as you feel appropriate; the difference will be charged accordingly to your stateroom account; you will be given new slips to put in the envelopes to give the appropriate host/server. We have always increased and juggled the amounts. For example, normally a head server doesn't interact a lot with guests (they do, just nowhere near as much as the server/asst server). however, because we have multiple food allergies, the head server is much more actively invlved with us, so we increase their amount but also give them proportionaly more of the total amount in doing so. We also increase the other amounts because they have always done a really good job.

SW

I don't have a tip system that's as well spelled out, but, in terms of the room service, breakfast, dinner, and Palo are much more elaborate than normal room service. The delivery includes setting the table, and dinner includes linens and course by course service.

Sounds like a great starting point! Updating the first post :)

I'd really like to keep this thread on point with what we can all expect on Disney Cruises. Another thread (http://disboards.com/threads/tipping-servers.3538017/) is moving into territory that might address your question. :)

So that would work out to tipping 20-30% on $50 per person at Palo. A 20-30% tip on the $30 surcharge would come to $6-$9 per person. Perhaps we can ballpark $6 - $15 per person?

I think it is totally what you are comfortable with. There is never going to be right or wrong answer.

MJ

I think it is totally what you are comfortable with. There is never going to be right or wrong answer.

MJ
Exactly. Tipping should be what each person feels the service was worth to them. Not what others have done in the past. Just because person A thinks that a Palo server should be tipped $20 per person for dinner, doesn't mean that person B has to do the same. Tipping should be a personal choice as to how much and to whom.

MJ
I completely agree. Trying to decide what the "right tip" is will be a losing battle. My goal has been to find out what folks' opinions are and provide a ballpark range for people seeking information (myself included). :)

Perhaps I missed it, but have we come to a consensus on how much a non-concierge guest might tip their cabana host on Castaway Cay?

Perhaps I missed it, but have we come to a consensus on how much a non-concierge guest might tip their cabana host on Castaway Cay?

No amount, but a concern. Last time we had a cabana, the host could not process our KTTW card for a tip. Luckily, we had some cash on us. So, unless things have changed, if you anticipate tipping your host, you'll need to have cash with you.

I wouldn't have the chutzpah to tell you what is or isn't acceptable, but just recount our experience. Our host (at the adult beach) spent a lot of time checking us in, going with us to the cabana, coming back a few times to see if we needed anything, gave us a ride back from the buffet with our food to the cabana, and came at the end of the day to help us pack up. We tipped him $20.

Hold up. I can't tip at the kids club? What kind of non-cash items do people give?

From what I've read, Nursery and Kids Club workers will refuse cash tips. If the passenger insists, those tips are surrendered into a pool and used to fund some treat for the entire staff (eg. a pizza party or some such).

They are allowed to accept token items as thanks, but be aware that their space onboard is limited (500 coffee mugs from appreciative cruisers might become a burden LOL). What I have seen recommended are foodstuffs to share (eg. boxes of chocolate or candy) or recent magazines (as these can be hard to come by onboard and can be tossed without regret later).

As always, mention by name on your comment card is highly prized: those comments are used for salary/time off/contract decisions. :)

Personally, for room service orders, I tip $1 per menu item. So, for example, on our most recent cruise, we ordered three sandwiches, a salad, and a plate of cookies and I tipped $5.

This is how we do it, but we bring cash and don't charge it to our KTTW card. I usually bring about $20 in ones and about four fives. Even is we just order a cheese platter and a dessert, we give at least $2. They are usually very grateful and some even seem surprised.

For us, it has varied according to service.

I wouldn't have the chutzpah to tell you what is or isn't acceptable, but just recount our experience. Our host (at the adult beach) spent a lot of time checking us in, going with us to the cabana, coming back a few times to see if we needed anything, gave us a ride back from the buffet with our food to the cabana, and came at the end of the day to help us pack up. We tipped him $20.

We had a host like that once on the Magic. On the ship, he was the pool manager IIRC. He was very attentive and helpful. We didn't have sufficient cash with us so I found him on deck the next day or so and tipped more. Castaway Cay was in the middle of that cruise. One other time, a CM drove two of us back to the ship in the rain and I tipped her. Every other time we've had a cabana, the hosts have done nothing for us. Not a complaint (other than the time I couldn't close the sliding doors and no one answered the bell as we were soaked by a storm) but just what we have experienced. So on those occasions, we have not tipped. Heck, we usually only see them at the beginning when we are asked if we know where things are so no opportunity to tip anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter