Who watched the Original World of Disney on TV???

Remember the movie, "Child of Glass?" (This would be 1978.)

A boy moves into a creepy mansion and meets the ghost of a little girl.

"Sleeping lies the murdered lass, vainly cries the child of glass. When the two shall be as one, the spirit's journey will be done."

That was my favorite Wonderful World of Disney episode! Or at least it's one that really sticks out in my mind.

Sadly, I wasn't around for the World of Disney (I think I was born in the wrong decade) but, I have seen all the intros and whatnot (How I love the internet). I just wish I was born about 40 years before I was... But, I did happily get 90's Disney Channel with the Saturday morning classic cartoons and Goof Troop.

I saw the editions AFTER Walt Died,but they used to use the intros from him and it was really a good thing. This generation has a hard time realizing that Walt Disney was a real person.

<---- Check out my tag! Although I must be older than most of you because the line up I remember was M of O Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Color, and then Bonanza. The Wonderful World of Color was extra special because we usually only got dessert on Sunday nights while it was on. (Hmmm, ice cream "soup")

I remember those days. It was extra special for us because we didn't own a color TV. However, my father worked at a tV repair shop (yes, you youngsters, you actually had your tv REPAIRED rather than buy a new one) and once in a while he'd bring a color tv home (with his boss' permission 'natch).

Yep! I was in Mutual of Omaha,WWoD, then Bonanza crowd. Raised on Walt's intros. When ever I go to the parks, I alwys try to find his voice somewhere to listen to- and to have my daughter listen,as well. Do any of you remember The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh serial with Patrick McGoohan? Boy,would I like to see that one again!

I think they might be on some of the Treasures DVD's...

<---- Check out my tag! Although I must be older than most of you because the line up I remember was M of O Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Color, and then Bonanza. The Wonderful World of Color was extra special because we usually only got dessert on Sunday nights while it was on. (Hmmm, ice cream "soup")

I'm right there with you. My brother's 11 years older than me and my parents had to enforce an every other Sunday rule. My Disney coincided with his The Rebel, so we took turns. I probably pre-date all of you because I watched the original Mousekeeters. I had a crush on Spin and Marty and I wanted to grow up to be Annette. I remember how happy it made me to hear the
M-I-C-K-E-Y song and the closing words, "Why, because we like you!"
I really love this forum!

This was one of the few shows my whole family gathered to watch. We watched it before and after Walt passed. I remember how excited I was to see the show when we got our first color television because it had been renamed to "The Wonderful World of Color". It was so amazing to us back then!

Then I think we would watch shows like "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "The FBI" and "The Ed Sullivan Show" after the Disney show was over.

Good times.

I'll be "dating myself" here, but I remember watching the VERY first Walt Disney TV shows. I'll edit this by saying I don't really remember the very first show (which was about Disneyland) but I sure do recall the second show, which was Alice in Wonderland. After that I was glued to the TV to watch the Disney show for the many years that it ran. And always got excited when the show was about "Frontierland"!!
This was in 1954---how long ago was THAT???!!!

I remember watching Disney and then suffering through Bonanza. My parents would get out the popcorn pans for Bonanza so if I wanted popcorn I had to watch. Thoes were the days of good pan popped corn and only 1 tv per family.:)

Actually, "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," "World of Disney," and then "Little House." And then bedtime.
That brings back wonderful childhood memories. Just hated that we had to watch the movies over a 2 week period.
Here in Canada now, many Disney classics are being played on Sunday evenings 5:00PM to 7:00PM on CBC. (then bedtime for my youngest pair, just like the old days)

I think this generation is missing out on all the classic Disney stuff. They're going to grow up on the '00's version of Disney and remember HSM and Mylie Cyrus more than Walt Disney and the history of it all.

Sadly, you are right--but I suppose the only consolation is that they will have no idea exactly WHAT they are missing. They won't know any better.

Just look at One Mans Dream in the Studios. One day we went in (and it's always a regular stop for us) and we were the ONLY TWO people in the theater for the movie.

I'm only eighteen, but I do remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney on ABC on Sunday evenings when I was a kid. I think they revived it in the '90s for a while.

I don't remember who did the introductions, but I do remember that they existed. We would watch movies like Annie, the live version of Pinocchio...Tinkerbell came across at the beginning, and there were fireworks...we did that every Sunday night. Highlight of my week--movie night with the family.

I used to watch it, but I'll be dipped if I can remember what was on it! Was it like Daniel Boone or cartoons or what? All I know was, it was the highlight of TV viewing. We never sat on the furniture to watch either - always sitting or laying on the floor with pillows!:lovestruc

I used to watch it, but I'll be dipped if I can remember what was on it! Was it like Daniel Boone or cartoons or what? All I know was, it was the highlight of TV viewing. We never sat on the furniture to watch either - always sitting or laying on the floor with pillows!:lovestruc
IIRC, it was a mixture. Sometimes they'd have cartoons like D Duck or adventure like Daniel Boone or Swamp Fox.

I'll be "dating myself" here, but I remember watching the VERY first Walt Disney TV shows. I'll edit this by saying I don't really remember the very first show (which was about Disneyland) but I sure do recall the second show, which was Alice in Wonderland. After that I was glued to the TV to watch the Disney show for the many years that it ran. And always got excited when the show was about "Frontierland"!!
This was in 1954---how long ago was THAT???!!!

Yeah, I go back that far too! (creak, creak).

I still get chills when I watch an old show and Tink appears,
and the announcer says: "Walt Disney's DISNEYLAND!":worship:

FWIW, here's a broadcast history of the Anthology Show:

Anthology Series
Series Name Air dates Network

Disneyland 10/54 - 9/58 ABC
Walt Disney Presents 9/58 - 9/61 ABC
Wonderful World of Color 9/61 - 9/69 NBC
Wonderful World of Disney 9/69 - 9/79 NBC
Disney's Wonderful World 9/79 - 9/81 NBC
Walt Disney 9/81 - 9/83 CBS
Disney Sunday Movie 2/86 - 9/88 ABC
Magical World of Disney 9/88 - 5/90 NBC
Magical World of Disney 9/90 - ? DC
Name ? 96? - ? ABC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter