Who Wants to Be a Millionaire will close permanently

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire – Play It (Disney-MGM Studios) will close permanently on 8/19/06. :(

from mousesaver.com

No More Millionaire
Disney has officially announced that August 19, 2006 will mark the end of the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire -- Play it!" game at Disney-MGM Studios in Walt Disney World. According to spokesman Jacob DiPietre, the sound stage will be used for a new guest experience later this year. The Disney World "Millionaire" attraction opened in April 2001, a bit late into the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" television show craze. It was too late to capture the peak of the show's popularity, which occurred in 1999 and 2000.

The new ride replacing "Millionaire" is expected to be a top attraction. It has been described as a cross between Disneyland's Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin and Universal Studios' Men in Black. Both rides take people in small cars on winding paths past indoor scenes with special effects and robotic characters, and involve active participation of the riders.

Opening date for the new attraction has not yet been announced, but it will probably happen in 2008. Stay tuned.

I for one am glad never liked the show. Never liked it on TV either.

i too didn't like to show... everyone was way to cramed into a little space.. got a bit clasrphobic (sp?) in there. I olnly show the show once and wasn't impressed. I feel bad for the fans of the show but i'm looking forward to something new!!! This news has been out there for a couple months now, i know there are more posts on here about it.

If you felt crammed into the Disney Studio version of Millionaire, don't ever go to the real WWTBAM. That studio is a lot smaller.

Personally, I loved the version at Disney Studios. It was one of the last shows that actually taped at the Studios. Now it's just a theme park lacking the one thing that made it distinct: Actual TV shows/movies filming.

DasBeast said:
If you felt crammed into the Disney Studio version of Millionaire, don't ever go to the real WWTBAM. That studio is a lot smaller.

Personally, I loved the version at Disney Studios. It was one of the last shows that actually taped at the Studios. Now it's just a theme park lacking the one thing that made it distinct: Actual TV shows/movies filming.
Someone said that they taped some of the real shows on the WWTBAMPI set. I liked it. There have been a couple of other threads about this though.

It was a great attraction, and I bet the next attraction in that space will be great too. Change is good; it keeps WDW vital and work returning to year-after-year.

bicker said:
It was a great attraction, and I bet the next attraction in that space will be great too. Change is good; it keeps WDW vital and work returning to year-after-year.
The next attraction does sound good. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is a great ride, and this is supposed to be similar.

I am sooooo upset. My dh and me loved that show, We would play it many times during a trip. Is there someplace we can write and let them know we want it to stay opened?

No. The attraction is already set to be closed, and new attraction set to take its place. That's quite a bit late to try to save an attraction.

The best way to keep an attraction open is to ensure that it is always busy with guests enjoying it. Even the mighty Walt Disney Original "Carousel of Progress" is holding on for dear life. People "love" it, but if a good number of them don't actually spend the time in the attraction on each visit, then there isn't enough reason to keep it open.

As much as we would love to write for it to stay open, there's already plans for a new ride in that spot.

kimis said:
I am sooooo upset. My dh and me loved that show, We would play it many times during a trip. Is there someplace we can write and let them know we want it to stay opened?

I asked at guest relations and this is the addresses to write if you want this to remain open, even if it closes for a period of time and re-opens somewhere else in the park:

Walt Disney World
Guest Communications
Executive Offices
Post Office Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Email: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

When contacting the WALT DISNEYWORLD Resort, please include the following:

Name
Address
Telephone Number
E-mail Address

I attended seven shows this past weekend and four the weekend before and 5 people in the hot seat said they made a special trip to play before this attraction closed. Also, there were 3 shows where the theatre was full, one of which I was turned away at the door. They are running 8 shows a day. And one person won the cruise at the 11:50AM show this past Sunday.

We made it a point to do WHTBAMPI at least once while we were just there, knowing it would be closing soon. The theater was packed -- not an empty seat in the place. Makes you wonder what was so unpopular about it.

On our way out after the show, I just happened to be walking next to the host as she was returning to her dressing room. I asked her, "Have they told you where you're going after the nineteenth?" She looked at me like I had just exposed a state secret or something. I'd thought Disney had already released a formal statement the show was closing. I guess not, because she gave me a very evasive answer.

Maybe it was just a touchy subject for her.

BirdsOfPreyDave said:
We made it a point to do WHTBAMPI at least once while we were just there, knowing it would be closing soon. The theater was packed -- not an empty seat in the place. Makes you wonder what was so unpopular about it.

On our way out after the show, I just happened to be walking next to the host as she was returning to her dressing room. I asked her, "Have they told you where you're going after the nineteenth?" She looked at me like I had just exposed a state secret or something. I'd thought Disney had already released a formal statement the show was closing. I guess not, because she gave me a very evasive answer.

Maybe it was just a touchy subject for her.

Which show was this at? If it was Tracy on Saturday, her last show was the final Saturday show. Same with Brian but the 4:35 show Saturday. Tracy was a little emotional after the last show but stayed for pictures and autographs for any who wanted them.

Copper3 said:
Which show was this at? If it was Tracy on Saturday, her last show was the final Saturday show. Same with Brian but the 4:35 show Saturday. Tracy was a little emotional after the last show but stayed for pictures and autographs for any who wanted them.
It was late afternoon on Thursday, August 10th. Sorry, I don't remember the host's name. She had blonde hair and mentioned to one of the contestants she was from California.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter