Who uses WDW as motivation to lose weight?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
OK, guys, I'm officially announcing that I need to lose 20 lbs. What seemed to work last time I lost weight was to keep telling myself that I wanted to make it easier to walk around WS, run faster to Dumbo. Whenever I'd get on my Nordic track, I'd pretend that MK had just opened and I wanted to beat the crowds to Splash. Same type of thing when I walked, you get the idea? Just curious, anyone else do this? We're going to HH in March, and I've never been there before-anyone got any good motivating tips (long walks on the beach?) for there?

I'm in a little different situation from you, but have a related quandary I'm pondering. We've always been conflicted as it pertains to health and WDW. In the last couple of years, especially when it has been "just us," a WDW vacation, was very conducive to our health: We typically got a lot of exercise in, including miles of walking around the parks, bicycle riding, swimming, etc. We took advantage of the superior health club facilities, as well.

However, before we "got healthy" we used WDW as an excuse for gluttony (for lack of a better word). There are just so many superior choices, and they were all so fully devoted to presenting the most delectible, fattening dining experiences, that we'd often come home quite a few pounds heavier than we left.

While we're now healthy enough to not need to lose weight to enjoy WDW to its fullest, I am wondering to what extent we can add back some part of these wonderful dining experiences that we enjoyed so much years ago, without starting down a slippery slope. During our visits in late 2001 and early 2002 we didn't enjoy one meal out of our DVC villa. In mid 2002, we only did one meal, and that was a meal Chef Mary Ann made especially for us, to our strict dietary restrictions. This year, however, I don't want to run back to the room every day at noon for a salad with canned tuna and low-cal dressing.

So, I suppose I am a bit motivated to lose two or three pounds over the next few weeks, just to assure myself that I'm in enough control to let loose a little bit during our upcoming trip. By the same token (and this is really the main point), I'm not sure it is wise to "save up calories" to cover for over-consumption during our upcoming trip. :-\

I use WDW trips as weight loss motivation for two very (very) shallow reasons:

1) I want to look good in the pictures.
2) I usually go with my shopaholic and spendaholic aunt, and it's more fun to buy clothes when I'm thinner! ("Thinner" being a relative term - I will never be a Skinny Minnie!)

While intellectually I realize that these aren't "good" reasons - that I should be more concerned with my health and such - I figure whatever works! :)

I listen to GREAT BIG SEA and Shania Twain music while on my elliptical machine. The GREAT BIG SEA music reminds me of the band that play at the Canadian area of Epcot. Shania Twain music is upbeat and she's so thin I think "I can look like that!" LOL! S

Count me in! I would like to lose 20 lbs. before returning to WDW. We enjoy the water parks and I enjoy them more if I feel better in a bathing suit. I don't eat a lot at WDW so that isn't an issue for me. Too many rides on RNR and TOT to eat too much. ;)

I lost 4 pounds last week, but I think I'm at a stand still. Yesterday and today, I've been picking at food I really shouldn't be. I know I did not gain weight, but I haven't been losing either. I have been exercising more, yipee! Tonight I have a yoga class and a step class. My knees will need a rest soon! S

I definitely want to look better in the next set of pictures. I was horrified at the ones we took in October. I'm determined to be a healthier person for our next trip.

I am going to be able to meet a friend from the UK at WDW in August, that's quite a bit of motivation for me. We've never met face to face only in UK chat. I don't want to scare this poor family too badly at our first meeting :)

WDW is always a motivation for me. I want to be able to walk around and not be out of breathe, BUT more importantly (MHopkins2 I agree) are those pictures. I am usually down there when a group is there, and I hate seeing myself when they get posted here :( MY next trip is in May, and I need to loose 21 pounds by then...and average of 1.42 pounds a week fro now to then...doesn't sound unatainable :)

I'm not as worried about pics (I can avoid them) or how I look. I'm more worried about how my joints feel after walking around a lot with the extra weight, and if I'm going to poop out early touring with my 11 yo DD and her friend. I might worry about it more for our summer trip, we'll probably be spending more time at the pool. Hoping that will motivate me to keep going when return from the March trip. Yep, it's a motivator. If I didn't have WDW to look forward to, I'd probably sit here and get old(er)and fat(ter). My treadmill awaits...

A trip to WDW is a definite motivator for me! We will be going in May & I really would like to drop a few lbs by then. We are on the go all day while we are there & I just get sooooo tired carrying around all this extra weight!

Glo, from your countdown clock it sounds like we will just miss you in May. Too bad. We could have had a mini-meet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter