Who thinks the CDC will roll back their new mask rules from two days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on another thread, because I don't understand. The media attempted to terrorize parents about Multi Inflammatory Syndrome due to Covd.

And the whole "My mask protects you, your mask protects me".

All of a sudden, children don't matter anymore? Why isn't the CDC releasing breaking news that Multi Inflammatory Syndrome no longer a concern, since we can now be around children maskless?

Vaccinated people can still get covid and pass it to others. Look what just happened to the vaccinated NY Yankees players.
I'm super worried about my son (3.5) being exposed by all these maskless, unvaccinated people. :( He will continue to wear a mask but stilll...

We ALL know that unvaccinated people will choose to go maskless even though they're not supposed to. Not saying all will break this rule but I'm sure many will.

There is absolutely no way that we return to mask mandates. In fact, the remaining masking requirements almost certainly will be gone in weeks (not months).

I’m beyond glad to see them go. Going forward, I’m going to assume that masks are not required. I went to a few stores over the weekend. Although I was the only maskless person in each store at the time, there were no comments or angry looks from anybody, and I was treated well by everybody I interacted with. I think people are still uncertain about what they can do, and a bit uncomfortable ditching their mask out of concern how others will react. I believe that will change in the next 2 weeks. At that point, we’ll see even more mask rules lifted.

I do also want to take a moment to comment on some of the posts I’ve read characterizing the unvaccinated as the vulnerable (sometimes with apparent glee). I’d encourage all to have a little grace. People are unvaccinated for a variety of reasons.

Respecting the right of some businesses
to have a masking requirement and wearing a mask in their stores is a reasonable policy we can agree on, correct?
I'm assuming you would only walk in maskless to businesses with no current mask requirement.
We can choose where to spend our $$$, stores can choose the policy that works best for them.

Last edited:
People are vulnerable and at a higher risk of contracting covid without vaccination. That's purely what that means nothing more nothing less. Has zero to do with grace or what reasons people haven't gotten a vaccination.

Generally people who can't get vaccinated for medical reasons are protected by those who are vaccinated. That's who is normally defined by people as vulnerable. Throughout the pandemic vulnerable was also applied to the elderly and those in congregate settings (especially nursing homes) and other such characteristics.

Vulnerable now has been included to mean those who are unvaccinated, regardless of the reason in comparison to those who are vaccinated. It's a practical outlook here. If you aren't vaccinated you're part of the vulnerable population who people sought to protect throughout the pandemic. I'd also like to point out that throughout this pandemic a lot of people were quite pointed about those who are vulnerable should stay home, you don't need to be out and about. It's often those people, at least on comments (maybe not verbally said in real life), who haven't realized if they are unvaccinated they are those vulnerable people now (but of course who is going to tell them to stay at home? and some really don't care about their unvaccinated status).
I think some people are somewhat sensitive to the label vulnerable (and I think partially understandable). Some probably spent so much time thinking about other people being that never thinking about themselves in that light and now they are (by most standards) considered that. Maybe some are only thinking about it from a 'I'm young and healthy' viewpoint or 'if I get covid I'll most likely be fine anyways' but I believe most clinicians still would agree without the vaccine you're at an increased risk of contracting covid. Maybe we should have done a better job of explaining why someone is considered vulnerable? Wishful thinking but I almost wonder if some of the people who have elected by choice to not get the vaccine would get it just so they wouldn't be considered vulnerable to someone and told to stay home (by the way I agree with you on that part, a lot of comments were said to that effect, you can't really ignore that).

My only concern is that plenty of non-vaccinated folks will opt to go maskless, too, leading to numbers climbing again, leading to the possibility of locations trying to reinstate more strict mask-wearing, which will inevitably lead to people losing their damn minds. ;)

But there have been areas with many events and places with maskless people for the past couple months and numbers still
Declined. Jacksonville Florida hosted two indoor full capacity events awhile ago now and no spike from that like people were worried about.

between vaccines and those who have had Covid herd immunity is near (many of the ones not wearing masks, not vaccinated also have had Covid)

I make this point all the time. There are many that have antibodies and it does offer protection. There are actually studies coming out now saying that the B Cell and T cell memory from actually having Covid are strong even eight months later. These don’t show up in your run-of-the-mill antibody tests. Yes, I know there’s some variability in that depending on the severity of the case, but there is more protection out there than just a vaccine that is not being counted.
Thank you for posting about natural immunity from having the antbodies from having Covid. I have been reading the Covid threads here and there over the months, but too scared to pose the question: don't my antibodies count from having Covid? I locked up my family since March 2020 when school closed. We chose the remote option for my daughter as my parents watch her while we work. We went to work and home. Grocery delivery or pickup only. Guess what, I got the virus. I hibernated in my office and used tissues for door handles etc and I got it when people at work started testing positive. I have never been so "flu type" sick in my life for a full 10-11 days in November. Thank goodness no breathing issues. My husband lost taste and smell and my daughter had a fever for about 1.5 days. I panicked for my parents knowing my daughter was with them during the day. By the grace of God they didn't catch it (at least that we know of). They got their vaccines and are going to the grocery store again. I am happy that my mom is gettig out and if the vaccine helped her get back to some sort of normalcy that's great. However I worry about the long term effects from a new type of vaccine. It's a little different being in your 40s than your 70s though. I am choosing not to get the vaccine because at this point I have the antibodies. And frankly I suffer from bouts of vertigo and let me say Covid brought it out for me like all get out! Horrible! I'm not taking the risk currently that if I do get the vaccine, it will bring out the vertigo again. No thank you. Maybe when fall rolls around I'll feel differently, but right now, I'm using my natural immunity to protect me. And a mask because even though I'm not the biggest believer, It does make me feel better to be around people now. That's the great thing about this. We all have the choice to do what we feel is best.

And frankly I suffer from bouts of vertigo and let me say Covid brought it out for me like all get out! Horrible! I'm not taking the risk currently that if I do get the vaccine, it will bring out the vertigo again.
A small sample of course but did you see this thread? You may be able to share your concerns there. Looks like for the most part people with diagnosed veritgo-related disorders haven't had it as a side effect to the vaccine.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-did-you-get-the-covid-vaccine.3836948/page-2

My only concern is that plenty of non-vaccinated folks will opt to go maskless, too, leading to numbers climbing again, leading to the possibility of locations trying to reinstate more strict mask-wearing, which will inevitably lead to people losing their damn minds. ;)

Look at the states that dropped their mask mandate. This has not happened. When Texas dropped their mandate March 10th everyone was saying we were going to spike, hospitals were going to be over run, we would never get it back under control etc. The exact opposite has happened. Our numbers have consistently gone down. Our 14 day average is 40% of what it was when we dropped the mandate and 90% from our peak. Last week our school district of 70,000 had 3 days with zero cases, teachers or students.

People did not stop wearing their masks just because it was no longer mandated. I would say 90% of people here in N DFW continued to wear them. Today has been the first day I have really been out since the CDC announcement. I was wondering what Costco would be like. I was surprised this morning that the majority of people, probably 75% were still masked.

Last edited:
I went to church last evening with my son. Both of us fully vaccinated and the diocese says vaccinated people don’t have to wear masks. We carried them in because we both felt unsure. We put them on when we saw many wearing them, but I removed mine after about 15 minutes. I saw more and more do the same over the course of the service. I guess we all just aren’t sure what the protocol is at this time.

Look at the states that dropped their mask mandate. This has not happened. When Texas dropped their mandate March 10th everyone was saying we were going to spike, hospitals were going to be over run, we would never get it back under control etc. The exact opposite has happened. Our numbers have consistently gone down. Our 14 day average is 40% of what it was when we dropped the mandate. Last week our school district of 70,000 had 3 days with zero cases, teachers or students.

People did not stop wearing their masks just because it was no longer mandated. I would say 90% of people here in N DFW continued to wear them. Today has been the first day I have really been out since the CDC announcement. I was wondering what Costco would be like. I was surprised this morning that the majority of people, probably 75% were still masked.
I think we have to look at it how it is now. When a few states started to do that the guidance was much different, you also had several states sharply increasing (like Michigan, NY, etc) not too long after which made the criticism sharper for states removing the mandates when they did.

But this updated guidance really just opens the flood gates. At least before you had the guidance that even vaccinated should still wear masks, now you don't, and now that you don't the ones who were unvaccinated and still aren't can fly more under the radar if they opt to go maskless because they stand to blend in more in the crowd of maskless people who are presumed to be vaccinated.

Even I'm surprised how quickly the domino effect occurred once the CDC said fully vaccinated don't have to wear masks in most settings. It was like a light switch all within a few days cascading with states left and right saying they would follow the CDC, some big named stores changing their policies OR advising they won't be and I think the concern more valid than before.

A lot of people like to use the states who saw decreases even with the removal of the mandate but they skip over that the guidance was much different back then. I think we'll still continue to see people wearing masks but in a more limited fashion time-wise.

Remember the guidance has only been out since Thursday and look how much has changed since. I don't think we'll get 2 months of strong mask wearing such that you mentioned with TX removing their mandate March 10th and the observed behaviors afterwards. I can understand the concern of an upward swing even if it doesn't materialize.

Thank you for posting about natural immunity from having the antbodies from having Covid. I have been reading the Covid threads here and there over the months, but too scared to pose the question: don't my antibodies count from having Covid? I locked up my family since March 2020 when school closed. We chose the remote option for my daughter as my parents watch her while we work. We went to work and home. Grocery delivery or pickup only. Guess what, I got the virus. I hibernated in my office and used tissues for door handles etc and I got it when people at work started testing positive. I have never been so "flu type" sick in my life for a full 10-11 days in November. Thank goodness no breathing issues. My husband lost taste and smell and my daughter had a fever for about 1.5 days. I panicked for my parents knowing my daughter was with them during the day. By the grace of God they didn't catch it (at least that we know of). They got their vaccines and are going to the grocery store again. I am happy that my mom is gettig out and if the vaccine helped her get back to some sort of normalcy that's great. However I worry about the long term effects from a new type of vaccine. It's a little different being in your 40s than your 70s though. I am choosing not to get the vaccine because at this point I have the antibodies. And frankly I suffer from bouts of vertigo and let me say Covid brought it out for me like all get out! Horrible! I'm not taking the risk currently that if I do get the vaccine, it will bring out the vertigo again. No thank you. Maybe when fall rolls around I'll feel differently, but right now, I'm using my natural immunity to protect me. And a mask because even though I'm not the biggest believer, It does make me feel better to be around people now. That's the great thing about this. We all have the choice to do what we feel is best.

I think people aren’t talking about natural immunity from being infected because there haven’t been as many studies on it, so we just don’t have as much information to work with. Not that we have tons of definitive data about the vaccines either since this virus, and therefore the vaccines for it, haven’t been around that long in the grand scheme of things, but from what I have found, the vaccines have been the subject of more scientific studies than natural immunity for whatever that’s worth.

I’ve seen conflicting articles about natural immunity, some saying protection is just as good as vaccine, some saying protection is decent for a few months (3 months? 5 months? more?) but doesn’t last as long as the vaccine (which last I heard, all we knew about vaccines was at least 6 months, but they’re guessing/hoping longer), some saying the protection is good against the variant the person was infected with but not other variants, so who knows.

I don’t know if they are still doing it, but Red Cross at least used to be checking COVID antibodies for everyone who donated blood if you wanted some sort of peace of mind about your personal antibody status from natural infection.

I don’t know if they are still doing it, but Red Cross at least used to be checking COVID antibodies for everyone who donated blood if you wanted some sort of peace of mind about your personal antibody status from natural infection.
The Community Blood Center in my area was doing that as well. First it was they would make every effort to test donations but they couldn't guarantee they would. If they did and you were positive they would for sure let you know. Then they did like a month or two long thing where if you donated blood, platelets, or plasma they would test every single donation. My husband had been wanting to know if he had antibodies and the Community Blood Center normally asks frequently enough for him to donate (for a while it's been platelets that they specifically want from him). Well he ended up doing it during the time that they were doing it (he did platelets) and his came back negative. Their testing advised it could be mean he still had it but they were too low to detected, their test wasn't sensitive enough (though blood donation centers tend to be on the more sensitive side especially because at that time they were doing convalescent plasma) or you were negative (which is the most common reason). His was done at the end of January.

I think people aren’t talking about natural immunity from being infected because there haven’t been as many studies on it, so we just don’t have as much information to work with. Not that we have tons of definitive data about the vaccines either since this virus, and therefore the vaccines for it, haven’t been around that long in the grand scheme of things, but from what I have found, the vaccines have been the subject of more scientific studies than natural immunity for whatever that’s worth.

I’ve seen conflicting articles about natural immunity, some saying protection is just as good as vaccine, some saying protection is decent for a few months (3 months? 5 months? more?) but doesn’t last as long as the vaccine (which last I heard, all we knew about vaccines was at least 6 months, but they’re guessing/hoping longer), some saying the protection is good against the variant the person was infected with but not other variants, so who knows.

Thank you for the reply. Actually the Red cross is coming to my work later this month for a blood drive so if I can get up the courage to give without thinking I'll pass out I will know for sure if I do indeded have the antibodies.

Respecting the right of some businesses
to have a masking requirement and wearing a mask in their stores is a reasonable policy we can agree on, correct?
I'm assuming you would only walk in maskless to businesses with no current mask requirement.
We can choose where to spend our $$$, stores can choose the policy that works best for them.

Actually, my assumption is that businesses are no longer requiring/enforcing mask mandates, unless they expressly tell me that a mask is required in their business.

As for hooding where to spend my $$$, I’ve never been a big fan of cancel culture, but I definitely will be inclined to spend where the purchasing experience is most tolerable to me.

They can be a nuisance, but masks definitely help to protect ppl, don't they...

They do. I work in the healthcare field and I fully expect to still be wearing masks for months to come. Of course I guess that is better than my wife's attire. She works on a Covid unit and she looks like she is heading into Chernobyl every day for 12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter