Who sleeps in instead of doing Rope Drop?

We try to do Rope Drop at least once per trip, usually 1st full day at parks. Love the anticipation that is in the air, love the show at MK, it gets family super excited, like they need much more....and you can get more attractions in those first 2 hours than you can the rest of the day combined. We are a - go to the park early, have lunch, go back to the resort and relax in the afternoon, go back to the park in the evening - type of family.

Most of the time we sleep in unless we are going to Magic Kingdom or Epcot, than we will be there for rope drop!!

I wish I could do rope drop, but my husband is not an early riser, so when I travel with him I compromise. As he's not a big Disney fan, but is willing to travel with me anyway, I try to compromise as well. We just got back last week, and ended up going to the park around 10ish every day. I am used to getting up early, and vacation is no different, so I still wake up around 6, and go online for a while, or read until he gets up.

One of the reasons I'm a huge fan of the Fast Pass+ is that we can now actually get on some of the popular attractions at each park without waiting in long lines!

We do it on busy days, our last trip was to DL over the Christmas season, it was bearable in the morning at RD, in fact we got Matterhorn, Splash, Thunder, Space, Star Tours and Peter Pan all done within 3 hours, but after that you could hardly even move in the park. Never again if I can help it.

We have never once done rope drop. I'm awake and hyper as can be ('cause DISNEY!!!) in the hotel room, but my other 3 family members sleep in. That is what happens in a family of night owls. *hoot*

With FP+ and having been to wdw about 5 times now we are really going to try to slow down for our next trip. Might be tough to reform this old rope dropper though.

We rarely ever make rope drop. I have a bunch of teenagers and they are not easy to get up, plus my husband works hard all year and likes being able to sleep in. We usually just take our time at the campsite and head over to the parks after a nice breakfast.

We used to sleep in. Now we try to do a few early mornings so we can enjoy the parks when they are less crowded.

we normally do ropedrop but thats because im a morning person.
however on our Honeymoon trip 3 years ago, we only did ropedrop for Extra Magic Hours Mornings - other than that we slept in or went to the pool and relaxed a bit!

This year we are going to PO:FQ Resort and we are planning on doing more pool time in the morning, leisurely get ready and then hit the parks around 10-11 we are doin Food & Wine alot more this trip so epcot world showcase isnt open until then anyway!.

AK we tend to hit rope drop just because i feel that park gets alot hotter faster than other parks, animals seem to be more visable during the mornings too. but we are usualy in the room after lunch at this park though i cant spend a whole day there.

HS i tend to leave until Night because of Fantasmic! i like to do some of the shows just as the sun sets thats always nice if you can time it, we usually head to fantasmic for the first showing, (crazy right) turn up early as possible and grab some food and drinks while we wait, they have a selection of pop corn and hot dogs in the arena where fantasmic is and they also have soft drinks and draft beer also so i like to have a budweiser and just enjoy some of the preshow fun at fantasmic.

MK is a good park for ropedrop if any! they have the cute show to see, we always see it at least 1 on our trip. but for what we ride - its not that big of a deal, people say its less crowded in a morning which it is but it dosnt last!
if your planning on 7DMT Splash, Space, Thunder then you can get a few rides in at ropedrop i dont ride coasters so i dont find the need to hit ropedrop!

each to there own - find a way of touring the parks thats works for you and your family.
enjoy!

I would be there at opening and then back to the hotel after lunch. The parks are less crowded in the morning. No it doesn't last but who cares. The masses don't show up until around 11 so I have a few hours of fun before it becomes too crowded. This was when I was staying on property.

We are mixing it up for our next trip. Some RD days. Some late arrivals. No RD days after late nights. We have one rest day in the middle of the week.

We are all morning people so we hit the parks at RD everyday so we can gets lots done when the parks have low crowd levels

On vacation, we don't want to come home feeling like we need another. So we sleep in all the time. If we are doing an early morning, we make sure it's not following a late night. FP+ has been amazing for our family and made the experience so much better. There's no longer any pressure to go out and get fastpasses early so we have a decent return time. My husband is a morning person, while the rest of us are not. He likes to go get a coffee and enjoy the resort quiet in the mornings. We come home having had oodles of fun, but also well rested. We also take a resort day in the middle of the trip to enjoy the pool and the resort activities. We find it recharges the batteries as well.

DS was in the CP last year. On 1 trip to visit him he was working an afternoon/evening schedule, so we would spend the morning with him, drop him off at work and then go to the parks early afternoon to park closure. This went totally against our RD tendencies, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't do as many attractions as we might have otherwise, but adjusted our expectations and still had fun.

We hate FP+ with the white-hot intensity of 1,000 suns (only a small exaggeration), but this is a place where it comes in handy.

Last edited:
We do both. You should be fine with FP+ and visiting with low crowds, especially if you're going to recommended parks (crowd-wise) for most days. A downside to sleeping in at that time of year, is you will miss out on the lower temperature mornings. The afternoon sun at that time of year can be brutal.

I've never seen Rope Drop. And honestly it's something I would like to see once in my life but this is also my vacation. I'm taking a break from having to get up super early for work so why would I wake up at 6 in the morning? I figure since you've seen it a bunch of times in the past there's no need to see it again. If you're going around 11-12 and staying til closing you still have a good amount of time to do things and don't necessarily need to have been there from the time the park opens til closing.

I've never seen Rope Drop.
and I've never missed one! :)

But we typically tour every other day from rope drop to closing. We don't leave for a minute. We've been fortunate to go for 2 weeks each time, though.
We're the family that squeezes every single moment of park time out of our days. Touring every other day is what makes that possible for us.

I always say I'm going to sleep in once or twice on any given vacation, but then each day I wake up and just can't wait to get to the parks. It seems to work better for me to be there at rope drop and then take some time off in the afternoon if I need it. Either that or I go all day and then crash around 10pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter