• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who says 3 year old won't remember Disney???

The best part about going at 3 is if you do manage to hold on to a memory or two, you have the somewhat surreal experience of remembering Disney as "real"

I recall real dancing ghosts and a ghost sitting in my lap to come home with me at the Haunted Mansion, which caused me to panic and cry, sadly. I was fine with my parents saying they were just silly ghosts who wanted to scare me but wouldn't come near me, but when it was on my lap (side effect of being the child between two parents in the Doom Buggy) and the Host said it was coming home - a little too much for me! :rotfl:

I also was shot at by cannons on a real pirate ship while in the open ocean. To be fair I didn't want to go on that, my dad wanted to and my mom said we'd done my rides so many times (Peter Pan and Small World were ALL I wanted to do) so it was Daddy's turn to pick something.

I do remember the flight over London sequence as being real too, and throwing a tantrum (apparently the first real screaming tantrum I ever had - later attributed to heat and overstimulation - sorry Mom and Dad! :confused3) at the Village Haus.

So strong memories (particularly traumatic ones! :laughing:) will stick with your kid into their twenties, at least!

we are taking our kids next year. they will be 5, 4, 2, and 1. of course i know the 1yr old wont remember anything and the 2 yr old is iffy. but thats what pictures and video is for!! :) and anyway, everything is so magical for them when they are that young! my stepdad just keeps going on and on about how we dont need to take them till they are older. i tell him they will be fine and its not like we cant ever go back!

The point people are making to you is that she probably won't remember the trip when she grows up, not that she won't remember the trip a few months after going.

I agree. As I already said, what difference does it make if someone went to Disney at age three and doesn't remember the trip as an adult? As long as they had fun, that's all that matters.

And why does anyone care what other people think about what age is the best to do anything with your child anyway? What a waste of time.

I understand what you're saying.
But kids won't remember a lot of stuff. Not just disney trips. That doesn't mean you don't need to do them. YKWIM?

If the trip is going to be a once in a lifetime trip then I completely understand. Wait until they're older, you'll get more mileage that way.
But not to go on vacation or do anything fun with little ones because "they won't remember" I think is rather sad (for the whole family).

That's MO of course... yours may vary... :thumbsup2

We took our first trip to DLR when my daughter was 2 1/2. To this day (she is 10 now) she talks about that trip and even remembers things that I had forgotten about.

ITA!

Who says the trip is just for the kids, anyway! It's my vacation, too. Both my kids had their first trips at 6 months. Of course they don't remember, but I do.

This exactly! I got the whole "why would you WANT to go every year when DD2 won't remember it???" from my MIL. I don't care if she doesn't remember it. We still get the photo memories and my husband & I enjoy the trip too. It's a fun family vacation. Should we wait to do anything fun until all of our kids are a certain age? I think not!

My first trip to a Disney park was Disneyland when I was 5. I'm 33 now with a 2 year old son and a 2 month old daughter. Obviosuly I don't remember the entire trip, I do however remember a few small things. I remember riding Peter Pan with my Dad, and clutching to my Mickey plush as I looked over the side afraid that I'd drop him. I also remember taking pictures with the characters. I hold these memories very close to my heart because my Dad just recently passed away from lung cancer. He was the one who introduced me to Disney, and I hope to pass that love on to my young son. And I plan on bringing him to the world before his 3rd birthday.

Memories are a funny thing. My brother is two years younger than me but has earlier vacation memories than I do. I don't remember any trips with my father but DB does (we were 6 & 4 when our parents split up). I only remember a couple of 'snapshots' from the one flying trip we took when I was 5, but he remembers most of it even though he was only 3.

My 2yo clearly remembers our Disney trips, but she's been twice and we've only been home a couple of months. I don't think she has really had a chance to forget one trip before we're off on the next one. But really I don't care if she does have long-term memories of each and every trip. We do, and that's good enough for me.

Besides, we have other kids to think of - the baby might not remember the places we go, but I'm pretty sure my 13 & 9yos would be rather disappointed if we put traveling on hold until their little sister would remember the trips!

I'm kinda hoping my 3-yr old doesn't remember. It would be so magical to take him again at 4 or 5 and see his surprised face at all the rides and characters as though he's seeing them for the first time. We'll be heroes all over again.

That is sweet.:lovestruc I think when people say "he won't remember" they know and understand that he will remember in the immediate future, but when he's 12 he will have no memory of the trip except for what he sees in pictures. There might be moments of remembrance but to actually remember the trip is what they are talking about.

That being said, I don't think it's a waste to take a young child. It's fun in the "right now". Who cares if they don't remember it when they are older.

I waited until our kids were 8 and 4 before we took them to Disney and believe me, my youngest has a memory like a steel trap but he will tell you that he really doesn't remember much about our first trip to Disney. When he looks at pictures he will sometimes say, "Oh yeah, I remember that." But most things he just does not remember.

Totally agree!! My twins have been at 2.4, 3.4 and 3.8 and THEY REMEMBER and want to go back everyday. The play Fantasmic, play parade and talk about Chef Mickey's and the rides daily. Yay for taking them at any age!

These "arguments" about this topic drive me nuts.

Of course a 3 year old remembers their trip for months and even several years. Of course they enjoy it and have a good time.

I live on the opposite coast and since WDW is a rare thing for us, it WAS important to us that our kids be old enough to have long term memories of the trip. Knowing that as an adult I remember family trips back to age 5 or 6,we waited until then.

Why does this have to be a constant debate on the DIS? If you get to go often, take them often and enjoy yourselves! If you rarely get to go and want them to have long-term memories of the trip, wait. It's not rocket science!

Yep, just go, don't worry about memories. They'll remember for a while, and you'll remember and treasure. And there will be pictures.

As to "who says a three year old won't remember" the answer is Science. Here is a nice overview: http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/fall-2007/remember-when

ETA: Also, if you go repeatedly, the memories will start to blur together for your kids. My kids who are 11 and 12 now have no real memories of their first trip at 2 and 3 - they have some "photo memories" and "story memories." But the memories build and blur over time.

I took my kids last May for my daughter's second birthday. Now we're going back in 6 days, and she told me that she wants to eat with the princesses again. She remembers!

We took our kids for the first time when they were 4.5, 2.5 and 18 months. Now we knew our 18 month old would have no recollection of the trip, but our father-in-law berated us for taking the kids - telling us they were way too young, they wouldn't remember anything, we were wasting our time and money, etc. Well, my 4.5 and 2.5 were like your child - they played "going to Disney" countless times after our return and talk about it constantly still. They are always asking when we will go back (October!). I am so glad we took them at those ages, and I especially thought 4 years was a magical age to be there.

Thanks for sharing! We are bringing our 2.5, 4.5 and nearly 8 year old on their first Disney trip in 3 days! I can see them coming home and playing Disney World. I have had countless people tell me the 2.5 year old will not remember the trip. I just say, "that's okay - I will remember it." I also want to ask them if they think my almost 8 year old should have to wait until the youngest is old enough to remember before he gets to have fun.

I'm glad all of you were able to take your children while they were still young. I agree that it doesn't matter what they remember if anything. Your memories will always be there. And they will have had the time of their lives. I wasn't able to take mine when they were little and I so wish I could have. I love it when I go and am able to see the wonder on the little ones faces. They are just so pure in their enjoyment! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to take my grandchildren one day.

DD's first trip was at 11 months. Her second trip she was 2 (almost 3). As were walking towards Epcot, she looked at Spaceship Earth and asked where Mickey's hand was.

I don't buy into the crap about them being too young. My DS is 2 and getting ready to go for the 3rd time. My DD is 5 and this will be her 5th trip.

Yeah I hear that all the time from people. Like her first birthday... she won't remember it so why have a big party. uh because I will always remember it?

She won't remember Disney so why waste all that money? uhhh because we enjoy it, ,now she will enjoy it and because it is something that we will always remember and cherish?

if people want to wait until later to go to Disney why would I care? Why do others care what we do with our money? if we want to take a trip to Disney that our daughter couldn't possibly remember 20 years from now... well that's our choice. all our bills are paid, we earn our money... why does anyone care what we do with it after that?

different people want to make memories in all kinds of ways. I"m ok with that :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter