Who owns the word "Monster"? Debate.

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
In my opinion, the word "monster" is a generic word that has been around since monsters lived under beds. Not according to "Monster Cables" however. They have sued everyone that has used or attempted to use the word monster in their businesses. What do you think?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123869022704882969.html
Part of a very long article. By STEVE STECKLOW

When Christina and Patrick Vitagliano dreamed up their Monster Mini Golf franchises -- 18-hole, indoor putting greens straddled by glow-in-the-dark statues of ghouls and gargoyles -- they never imagined that a California maker of high-end audio cables would object.

But Monster Cable Products Inc., which holds more than 70 trademarks on the word monster, challenged the Vitaglianos' trademark applications. It filed a federal lawsuit against their company in California and demanded the Rhode Island couple surrender the name and pay at least $80,000 for the right to use it.

"It really seemed absurd," says Ms. Vitagliano.

Video

Watch the YouTube video of Monster Cable's Mr. Lee and Monster Mini Golf's Ms. Vitagliano.
The legal actions were nothing new for Monster Cable, which was granted its first "Monster" trademark in 1980. Since then, the company has fought more monsters than Godzilla did.

Over the years, it has gone after purveyors of monster-branded auto transmissions, slot machines, glue, carpet-cleaning machines and an energy drink, as well as a woman who sells "Junk Food Monster" kids' T-shirts that promote good eating habits. It sued Monster.com over the job-hunting Web site's name and Walt Disney Co. over products tied to the film "Monsters Inc." It opposed the Boston Red Sox trademark applications for seats and hot dogs named for the Green Monster, the legendary left-field wall in Fenway Park. All in all, Monster Cable says it has fought about 190 monster battles at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and filed around 30 monster lawsuits in federal courts.

Along the way, it has attracted its share of ire from those who say it is overreaching and trying to corner the market on a word, not a brand. "If Monster Cable prevails, the Gila monster will become just another lizard" and "the monster under your bed will have to become an ogre," wrote Michael Meadors of tabberone.com, a Web site that sells fabrics and also keeps tabs on trademark issues.

"Monster Cable's practice of suing anyone using the word 'Monster' in their name is nothing short of playground bullying," says Robert Holloway, a computer contractor in Iowa who set up a Web site called monstercablebully.com to support the Vitaglianos.

Monster Cable says its trademark challenges are a matter of necessity. "If you don't defend your mark, and people use [it], it runs the risk of becoming generic and then you lose the mark," says Noel Lee, founder of the Brisbane, Calif., company, whose corporate title is "Head Monster." Mr. Lee says the company sells many other monster-branded products besides cables that it has to protect, including music, clothing and candy mints.

What does their logo look like? If someone was trying to poach their logo AND use the word Monster AND sell audio cables then I would understand. They are being corporate jerks. What has been the result of all these lawsuits? Obviously monster.com is still around and Monsters, Inc. wasn't affected in any noticeable way.

ETA - I just re-read this. They are full of crap when they say they are protecting the integrity of their "brand". They are in it to extort the other businesses out of cash. I wonder at what point they break even after paying their lawyers.

Monster patented the name in 1980. It would seem that, at the present time, Monster Cable owns the word "Monster".

This should have been nipped in the bud years ago during Monster's first lawsuit against someone who used the name "Monster" on a product that wasn't cable. Apparently it wasn't.

IMO, the only way to recover the name "Monster" now for any other product (IE: Monster Quilts, Monster Soap, etc) would be for the defending company to have so much financial backing that they can afford the years-long lawsuit to bring the issue to the Supreme Court.

Before my company failed, and went out of business, I had had the opportunity to meet the Owner, creator, and "Head Monster" on numerous occasions.

This guy is brilliant, and a bit of an ego-maniac. His R&D days are pretty much over, so he does have the time to browse for alleged copyright infringements.

It was ridiculous 15 years ago when I was dealing directly with his company. Sounds like it's only gotten worse as time goes by.

What a bunch of nonsense! But sure enough, at the bottom of Monster.com is a small link, "Looking for monster cables?"

I like how the mini golf place fought back via blogs! Good for them.

ETA - I just re-read this. They are full of crap when they say they are protecting the integrity of their "brand". They are in it to extort the other businesses out of cash. I wonder at what point they break even after paying their lawyers.
It must be profitable for them to do this even with paying their lawyers, otherwise they wouldn't have continued the practice for decades. The bottom line is that Monster Cables have successfully been able to keep the "Monster" name copyrighted and will continue to do so for years until it's stopped by the courts, not the people.

Rail at it all you want; call it ridiculous, childish and stupid. Gnash your teeth and wail about how unfair it all is. Venting is good, I guess.

But the bottom line is that this particular practice is perfectly legal and there's nothing that we, as bystanders, can do about it. Only new companies that want to fight for their name will be able to effect a change. They have to decide if the name is worth paying hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of legal battles for the "right" to use that name.

At the moment, the company with the most invested (Monster Cables) has the upper hand on the brand name.

I thought the word was owned by my MIL!:confused3 Boy is she going to be ticked about this!:lmao:

It must be profitable for them to do this even with paying their lawyers, otherwise they wouldn't have continued the practice for decades. The bottom line is that Monster Cables have successfully been able to keep the "Monster" name copyrighted and will continue to do so for years until it's stopped by the courts, not the people.

Rail at it all you want; call it ridiculous, childish and stupid. Gnash your teeth and wail about how unfair it all is. Venting is good, I guess.

But the bottom line is that this particular practice is perfectly legal and there's nothing that we, as bystanders, can do about it. Only new companies that want to fight for their name will be able to effect a change. They have to decide if the name is worth paying hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of legal battles for the "right" to use that name.

At the moment, the company with the most invested (Monster Cables) has the upper hand on the brand name.

Quick! Someone copyright the word "ALIEN"! I'm going to take "THE".

Quick! Someone copyright the word "ALIEN"! I'm going to take "THE".
:rotfl: By all means if you want to spend the money defending your copyright for 29 years like Monster Cable has done, you're perfectly within your rights to do so. :rotfl: I'll wish you nothing but the best of luck until the laws change. :thumbsup2

I should copyright the words united states of america. Since the freedom it once stood for is gone, why not steal the name right out from under it to put the final nail in the coffin?

Mikeeee

Well, they have to protect their name. Think kleenex, scotch tape, xerox, post-it, band-aids, q-tips and dis to name just a few who sue or threaten suit against those who use their name.

Of course monster cable has a problem with others sharing the name - ...dot com, ...energy drink, not to mention ...and aliens.

Well, they have to protect their name. Think kleenex, scotch tape, xerox, post-it, band-aids, q-tips and dis to name just a few who sue or threaten suit against those who use their name.

Of course monster cable has a problem with others sharing the name - ...dot com, ...energy drink, not to mention ...and aliens.

I agree that they should be able to defend themselves if someone is really encroaching on their business. However, my child never asked me to look for a Q-tip or a Xerox in the closet before she went to bed. The word monster was in our vernacular long before someone decided to "own" it. It in no way makes me think of audio cables, unlike Q-tip, which makes me think of a cotton swab or Xerox, which makes me think of a photocopy.

That argument is completely irrelevant.

The word monster existed before the company. So how they can claim to own it is beyond my logic. In my opinion, they are stealing the name from everyone else.

Mikeeee

I never heard of Monster Cables. But I did hear of the monster under my bed. And he was there long before.

I never heard of Monster Cables. But I did hear of the monster under my bed. And he was there long before.

What did one monster say to the other monster?
Ans: "I have an eerie feeling that someone is lying on top of the bed"

A bloke over here had a go at copyrighting the word "millennia". He did so and not too surprisingly, nobody cared. :upsidedow

Rich::

I despise monster cable, and this is one reason. The other are their overpriced cables that are sub par compared to their "cut rate" rivals.

I'd rather use a wire hanger than a product of theirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter