• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who Owns Multiple Use Years?

magicmonette

Working on Future DVC Retirement Home!
Just curious...

How many of us own multiple use years?
Do you recommend purchasing multiple use years?
How many use years do you own?
Do you find it difficult/complicated to manage??
Any comments?

I have December and August, and thinking of add on in third.

great questions! I own two that are Oct but interested in getting a third and have been wondering these same things! popcorn::

great questions! I own two that are Oct but interested in getting a third and have been wondering these same things! popcorn::

That makes me so happy! I thought I was only one that had these questions! Now we know there are TWO of us!:cool1::cool1:

I have two--Dec and June. So far, not hard to manage and for some recent travel decisions, I am glad we have December. We never planned to go Memorial Day weekend so our original June UY was perfect for the summer and fall travel we knew we'd be taking. We bought BWV and ended up with Dec UY be chance but having those points gives us the flexibility to go in May and not worry.

However, I don't think I'd want a third. Unless there is a real specific reason to own one, not sure I'd want the hassle of a third membership. Although if you get enough points, it's probably not as big of a deal.

I know we will eventually get more BLT points and I will probably try for a Dec UY to go with my BWV points.

I own two UY (June and September), just another column on the spreadsheet. And I haven't run into any problems with MS being able to transfer from one membership to the other.

Just curious...

I own JUN, AUG and SEPT

Depends on what your goals are. My goal was to pay as little as possible for my contracts. That means that I needed to ignore UY and shop solely based on price. If convenience was an issue for me I would've paid extra per point to have all the same UY. I actually enjoy having my contracts compartmentalized. I have four contracts where two are titled one way and two another. This means I have two log ins and I like that. But I'm sort of anal and like things separated. The food on my plate isn't allowed to touch either. :)

Three. Could've been four but I had a DEC BCV contract ROFR'd.

It requires active management, but I wouldn't call it complicated.

Any comments?

Do what makes you happy. If you want to spend more to get the same UY, go for it. If you like a contract outside of your UY, go for it. :)

ELMC said:
Depends on what your goals are. My goal was to pay as little as possible for my contracts. That means that I needed to ignore UY and shop solely based on price. If convenience was an issue for me I would've paid extra per point to have all the same UY. I actually enjoy having my contracts compartmentalized. I have four contracts where two are titled one way and two another. This means I have two log ins and I like that. But I'm sort of anal and like things separated. The food on my plate isn't allowed to touch either. :)Do what makes you happy. If you want to spend more to get the same UY, go for it. If you like a contract outside of your UY, go for it. :)

THAT MUST BE IT! I NEVER have let my foods touch either! Hahahaha!

Seriously, I just want enough points for 3 months of use in retirement (see points for retirement thread), and therefore COST is number one!

Thanks for detailed (separated) response! ;-)

I have been wondering this. I have one contract and have wanted to purchase another at a different property but have been waiting a while to try and match the use year because I have seen some warning not to have different use years. No luck thus far in matching use years, so I may eventually just take a different use year and make it work.

I have been wondering this. I have one contract and have wanted to purchase another at a different property but have been waiting a while to try and match the use year because I have seen some warning not to have different use years. No luck thus far in matching use years, so I may eventually just take a different use year and make it work.

I don't think it's a problem for us, living in Louisiana, because seriously...we figured out the turducken! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I've got three UY, Mar, Aug and Dec. So far it hasn't been a problem, but it is definitely more work to keep track of all the dates for banking, borrowing, etc.

I just ended up with the three different UY because that was what the contracts I purchased were.

If I ever buy more points, I'll probably title them differently and put my daughter on the title.

Just curious...

Any comments?

I have December and August, and thinking of add on in third.
We have 2 but had 3 previously. It does create somewhat of a hassle but not that bad, really more of a minimal inconvenience. IMO it's not as much of an issue as it was when the banking rules were a %. However, one needs to be able to manage them. I equate it to balancing a checkbook, if you have problems there you may have problems keeping up with multiple UY. There are some realities though. Since these would be technically and legally separate likely different owners, there are some limitations. It makes it more difficult to combine the points with the 1 per UY (in OR out) and the inability to transfer banked/borrowed points in most situations.

There can be advantages of different UY as well if you have different but set times you travel but I think that advantage goes away as you get more than about 2 UY, esp if the 2 are well placed.

Mine are December & August as well, we had April previously. For most situations, unless I had a travel time that worked poorly with what I owned, I would not add a 3rd UY purposefully. If I did, it'd have to be enough points to stand on their own and to cover usual travel times that what I owned didn't work well with. For your case that means travel between April and July routinely and a minimum of 150 points. Even then I likely wouldn't if I didn't have a big risk of having to cancel those trips.

We currently have two UY, Feb and Oct. Since we normally take a trips in March/April and Oct/Nov the two use years are not a problem. We have enough points in both UY to take one trip each with a little left over for a third trip every 3 years or so.

We have two UY at AKV. The bulk of our points are Dec UY and 50 points are Aug UY. The Aug contact was done during the pre-3/21/11 rush. It has not been a problem managing those points, since I just transfer the to our other account, but I wish I didn't have to do that.

If I owned at a different resort, I would have no problem with that resort being a different UY. In fact, I would like to have some BWV points someday, and my hopes would be for an Apr, Jun, Aug or Sept UY, since the points would primarily be used for F&W. But, if the right contract came along for the right price, I wouldn't care what UY it was.

I have an Oct and Jul UY's and I haven't had a problem. The two UY's weren't necessarily a strategic buy, but merely a price and size of the contracts purchase. So far, so good though, no problems to report. :thumbsup2

We have June (OKW) and Aug (HHI). It hasn't been an issue at all. We are wanting to add on and may end up with a 3rd UY. We'll try to get the same if we go with adding on HHI points, but if we end up with BWV then I don't really care what the UY is.

We have two as well: Feb (BWV) and Sept (BLT). No problems so far, just keeping a file of which contract has how many points left and making sure not to miss banking deadlines. We like split stays, so will generally use each contract for one leg of a split stay, which works fine using two contracts this way as they are booked and treated as separate reservations anyway.
PS: Food cannot touch on my plate either!! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter