Who lets their kids sing loudly on an airplane

Parents should do EVERYTHING humanly possible to see to it that their kids do not become other passengers’ problems — that’s the key IMO.
And honestly, most parents that I’ve encountered, myself included, do. But a toddler or infant is going to have bad days and get stressed just like an adult does, they just express it differently.
Seriously, the only obnoxious people I’ve ever encountered on airplanes are adults. From constantly banging into my seat to loudly taking on a cell phone to using electronics without headphones. So how is that acceptable but a 2 year old just doing what they naturally do is not?
I’m not excusing the singing the whole flight thing, that’s bananas, but some adults are worse behaved than kids.

And honestly, most parents that I’ve encountered, myself included, do. But a toddler or infant is going to have bad days and get stressed just like an adult does, they just express it differently.
Seriously, the only obnoxious people I’ve ever encountered on airplanes are adults. From constantly banging into my seat to loudly taking on a cell phone to using electronics without headphones. So how is that acceptable but a 2 year old just doing what they naturally do is not?
I’m not excusing the singing the whole flight thing, that’s bananas, but some adults are worse behaved than kids.
It isn't. Neither is.

Parents should do EVERYTHING humanly possible to see to it that their kids do not become other passengers’ problems — that’s the key IMO.

I see this as no different than what I and my partner do at restaurants...the kids have expectations, occasionally one will get too excited and we remove them for a minute, but they behave or they don't get to go out the next night...and we follow through. They LOVE to eat at restaurants, and we're happy to take them, but if they can't behave or "reflect badly" they're done for the next night. Poor kids have actual consequences from their actions at a young age. We're (he's) terrible parents.

Where is the OP????
Did they make any effort to address the situation?

And, all of the sudden, are flight attendants not allowed to address disruptive passengers....
They seem to be kicking everyone off flights.
Or, does this exclude, only, entitled young children?

PS: some kind of earplugs or ear protection or headphones can be a godsend.
Could also help address that situation in the recent thread with the 'chatty' passenger in the next seat.

Flying sucks!

OP here. The children were sitting behind my husband and one son. I was in the row ahead with my other son. My husband and son didn't say anything to the parent. I asked the flight attendant if he could ask them to quiet down. I'm not sure what he said to them. They stopped singing for 5 minutes and then continued with the Alphabet song, followed by screaming singing about their ears popping. Luckily, it was only a two-hour flight.

By their nature, kids are self-centered, obnoxious, entitled, rude, and an endless source of embarassment to their parents.

I've found the opposite to be true - if their needs are met, the kids I've been around (raised, babysat, taught) have been content, helpful, relaxed, and polite.

Kids act out because they have learned that is how they get their needs met.

I've found the opposite to be true - if their needs are met, the kids I've been around (raised, babysat, taught) have been content, helpful, relaxed, and polite.

Kids act out because they have learned that is how they get their needs met.

I completely agree. You see it all the time, an employee drops something in the store, and adults just blunder past (not my job), but the 4 year old will stop and hand it to them.

The little girl comforting the little boy who skinned his knee. Etc.

I personally believe that kids are the most wonderful creatures on the planet, it is up to the parents not to mess them up too badly. Giving them free reign, ignoring bad behavior and not being engaged in their lives are all terrible things for children, obviously.

I see this as no different than what I and my partner do at restaurants...the kids have expectations, occasionally one will get too excited and we remove them for a minute, but they behave or they don't get to go out the next night...and we follow through. They LOVE to eat at restaurants, and we're happy to take them, but if they can't behave or "reflect badly" they're done for the next night. Poor kids have actual consequences from their actions at a young age. We're (he's) terrible parents.

Removing kids from the situation mid flight is probably an option fellow passengers, flight attendants and no doubt parents themselves have fantasized about a time or two. If flight attendants set policy there would likely be an express hatch available.

Removing kids from the situation mid flight is probably an option fellow passengers, flight attendants and no doubt parents themselves have fantasized about a time or two. If flight attendants set policy there would likely be an express hatch available.

Not exactly the same, but I can imagine you could take them to the restroom...or as you suggest, remove them altogether; those kids would probably straighten up if they understood the consequences! I could leave my rocks at home then.

A few thoughts as I read this thread- my 2 year old tends to make noise all the time. If it's going to be screaming or singing, I would choose singing. Any attempts I would make to make her stop singing would result in the screaming, which isn't going to stop. She's my third kid so I'm not new to the parenting thing, she just has a unique personality (a lot of the reason we spend so much time at home, out of public view). Secondly, I see people mentioning talking to the parents and if that doesn't work, talk to the kids. Honestly, with my older 2 kids, you would get a lot further talking directly to them. Embarrassment is a great natural consequence and I'm okay with that.

I really hope you avoid air travel or other confined, public spaces until your child grows out of the scream/sing/making a lot of noise stage.

If his feet were hitting the seat in front of him, he WAS kicking the seat. Whether it's purposeful or not, the result is the same. I think people are willing to be forgiving of a few accidental "kicks," but continual jostling is not okay.

Not necessarily. When my little one was around 18 mths, we had him in a car seat, forward facing (as the car seat required), in the window seat. His legs were short enough that they stuck straight out in front of him, and when the seat in front of him inevitably reclined, his feet naturally touched the seat back in front of him. He wasn't kicking, but his feet literally had no where else to go. Any amount of movement would result in jostling to the seat in front of him. I tried to keep him as still as I could, but what was I supposed to do? It wasn't safe for him to be without a car seat at that age, and I tried explaining the situation to the person in front of him which just resulted in many, many sighs every time the kid had the audacity to move. Sometimes you really can't win.

Not necessarily. When my little one was around 18 mths, we had him in a car seat, forward facing (as the car seat required), in the window seat. His legs were short enough that they stuck straight out in front of him, and when the seat in front of him inevitably reclined, his feet naturally touched the seat back in front of him. He wasn't kicking, but his feet literally had no where else to go. Any amount of movement would result in jostling to the seat in front of him. I tried to keep him as still as I could, but what was I supposed to do? It wasn't safe for him to be without a car seat at that age, and I tried explaining the situation to the person in front of him which just resulted in many, many sighs every time the kid had the audacity to move. Sometimes you really can't win.
what I did in that situation, many years ago, was take the child'S shoes off (so that the "legs" sticking out where shorter and what did bump the seat would be softer, explain to the child, and have my child sit crossed legged in their seat as much as was reasonable. And, then, having realized the issue, we made a point of booking my husband in front of the child (instead of next to us to chat) when travelling together so that one of us parents would be taking the brunt of it, until the issue was no longer due to growing enough, and if it was just me with the kids we tried to get either bulkhead or else sit in the very back of the plane where if there are going to be any empty seats, that would be the place.
There is only so much can be done---but most people (at least the non rock throwers lol) will have patience with a parent who is TRYING far more than with one who is ignoring the issue.

In that case, the person in front should have just not reclined.

I'm trying to understand a two year old LOVING restaurants and comprehending if they don't behave they don't get to go to a restaurant the next night.

Last edited:
what I did in that situation, many years ago, was take the child'S shoes off (so that the "legs" sticking out where shorter and what did bump the seat would be softer, explain to the child, and have my child sit crossed legged in their seat as much as was reasonable. And, then, having realized the issue, we made a point of booking my husband in front of the child (instead of next to us to chat) when travelling together so that one of us parents would be taking the brunt of it, until the issue was no longer due to growing enough, and if it was just me with the kids we tried to get either bulkhead or else sit in the very back of the plane where if there are going to be any empty seats, that would be the place.
There is only so much can be done---but most people (at least the non rock throwers lol) will have patience with a parent who is TRYING far more than with one who is ignoring the issue.

His shoes were off but an 18 mth old doesn't really understand sitting cross legged, which isn't especially easy to do in a car seat with a five point harness. If the person in front of him had not reclined all the way the whole situation would have been avoided, since it was a matter of an inch or two. I feel like it was reasonable for us to try to compromise in that situation; I try to keep the kid quiet/still, they only recline two of the three possible inches. My DH and I are all about keeping our kids in check, but often there are people who are annoyed that there are even kids present regardless of behavior.

Both of my SILs would allow that, so would their mother. They're in the "my kids can do whatever they want and it's so precious and cute" category. Family time with them is a hoot. A few years ago, my MIL took us all to WDW for a vacation. DD and I usually separated from them primarily because we ride different rides than them, but also because they get on my last nerve. One of my nieces decided she HAD to go to the bathroom as soon as they got to the bus stop to POFQ. My SIL let her go relieve herself in the bushes. Yeah, she potty trained outside at home, and even though she was 6 years old and knew better, it was just so adorable that she peed outside. I told them I was glad we weren't with them at that point because I would have been mortified. They did not see it as being wrong. Unbelievable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter