Who knows about Strep throat?

annej

DIS Veteran
My son spent the night Saturday with a lttlle boy who now has strep throat!!!!! :scared1: We leave in 10 days so you can see my concern. How soon will I know if he is clear ? Is it a long incubation period or pretty short? ANy and all info would be so appreciated. My kids are normally very healthy so I was not real concerned about sickness on the trip but now this.

lots of info here:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/strep_throat.html

including:

"If your child has strep throat, he or she will start to develop other symptoms within about 3 days. Those symptoms can include:

red and white patches in the throat
difficulty swallowing
tender or swollen glands (lymph nodes) in the neck
red and enlarged tonsils
headache
lower stomach pain
fever
general discomfort, uneasiness, or ill feeling
loss of appetite and nausea
rash "

check out the site...good info

good luck!

From when my kids have had it, they will show in a couple of days. Even if your child comes down with it two days before the trip, the antibiotics usually start to work within a day or the same day and the kids feel better as long as they continue to take their med.

Thanks guys. I am reassured that we will atl east have that behind us by the time we leave!

FYI, if he does come down with it you might ask the doctor about a penicillin shot (assuming there is no allergy) as it was a one time treatment and I felt totally normal after 24 hours.

I would probably visit the pediatrician and maybe he/she could give you an antibiotic to kill it before it starts...I had strep about 4 times a year when I was a kid....mom always kept antibiotics in the house for when it started...even if your child doesn't get strep I would take some antibiotics with you on your trip just to be safe!

eblack0409 said:
I would probably visit the pediatrician and maybe he/she could give you an antibiotic to kill it before it starts...I had strep about 4 times a year when I was a kid....mom always kept antibiotics in the house for when it started...even if your child doesn't get strep I would take some antibiotics with you on your trip just to be safe!
Not a good idea to take antibiotics unless you actually have an infection.

Antibiotics can have side effects like allergic reactions and can cause intestinal tract infections or yeast infections because they kill off the normal germs that live in our bodies. When the normal germs are killed off, other things can overgrow and cause problems. Also, antibiotics kill off whatever germs are sensitive to them. What's left are the germs that are harder to kill off (resistant organisms).

If you have an infection, the benefits outweigh the possible risks of taking antibiotics. If there isn't an infection, you are exposed to risks without having any benefits. Here's a good article about antibiotics.

Sorry I don't know anything about the time periods and all, but here is our story.

DD came down w/ strep this past Wednesday. We took her to the Dr on Thursday and her quick strep test came back positive. (All it really took was one look at her nasty throat and we all knew what it was! YUK!) Anyway, she just laid around Thursday and the Dr. said she could go back to school on Friday. However, she made it about 1 1/2 hours there, ended up w/ the school nurse calling to come get her. She stayed w/ her Grandparents and threw up several times. She ended up having to miss a birthday party that night (on of her best friends, she was so upset), but she started feeling much better Friday night, even keeping some pizza down. She felt pretty good on Saturday and was back to normal yesterday.

We are leaving for DW on Thursday of this week, so I was glad we got it treated quickly. I would just keep a close eye on your DS and take him to the Dr. w/ any concerns. (all DD did was complain a little of a sore throat) FYI...If he does come down w/ it, don't forget to have him finish all the medicine so it doesn't come back!!!

Have a good trip!

I had strep throat in February and its not fun. The throat looked like it was covered by a white blanket, I couldnt talk , eat, or drink because it hurt so bad. I was put on antibiotics and my mom took my DD who had just turned 1 for a day because a child can get scarlet fever from strep throat I heard. Strep throat is very contagious. I would advise you to take DS to the doctor's and see if he can be put on antibiotics just to be on the safe side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter