Who is the General Manager at the Poly? Had to WORST time there ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all sounds so frustrating. But who ever is thinking about not going to Poly because of this don't let it stop you.

First of all, the noise issue will happen at every single hotel/resort sometimes. The Poly is no worse compared to any other resort.

In terms of the CMs....What I would do is this: Go to the Poly with the attitude that you will be staying at a GORGEOUS resort, with great transportation, wonderful atmosphere, in the most wonderful vacation spot in the world! AND that there will be some CMs that are just unhappy with their life right now. They maybe hate their job, have some tragedy happening within their family, or may be stressed to the maximum for some reason. And that if you need something, you may be having to work with one (or more) of them. Just expect that some of the CMs will not be very nice. Just expect it, and be prepared for it.

Chances will be always good that you won't recieve bad service at all. But if you do, see it as a frustration, a huge hassle, and/or a problem to be solved. But not as the thing that ruins your vacation. Your vacation is too important for that! :goodvibes

What I would do is this: Go to the Poly with the attitude that you will be staying at a GORGEOUS resort, with great transportation, wonderful atmosphere, in the most wonderful vacation spot in the world!
This is what I would do with any WDW resort. I would never take the criticism of one person as gospel. Experience it for yourself. Good advice erinz!

disgrajak said:
My personal pet peeve with regard to loud irritating human beings are people who scream at their children in public or even worse, the ones who slap or spank their children in public. That disgusts me more than I can say. (I used to work in abuse and neglect court so I may be a little sensitive here) Talk about ruining the magic for other people. I give my children a look or a word at the time of the problem, remove them if necessary, and I discipline in private so as not to offend or upset others. Ooh, and I while I'm started, I also really dislike people who complain loudly in restaurants or insist on getting free upgrades while you are patiently waiting in line trying to check in.
Unfortunately, it looks like if I wanted to have anything accomplished in regards to my situation with the Poly, I would have had to been one of those annoying people who complained loudly to get anywhere with them. Because my calm, cool, and professional attempt got me NO WHERE! And yes...people like what you described I always HAD thought of as an annoyance, especially when you are trying to check in. But after my experience with the POLY, I should have tried that attempt to get them to take me seriously ~ which is very pathetic.

I would have at least given our obnoxious neighbors some credit if they attempted to quiet the 2 young boys down, but it literally was a free for all. It was not only tantrums, the 2 boys beating on each other....or from the exact polar opposites, them running around, banging themselves against the walls with LOUD laughter, etc. I could go on and on and on! It's actually very hard to put into words all that we experienced. I honestly can say we were in shock....and more in shock that the Poly didn't do anything. With the excuse they didn't hear anything so nothing was said. I can only assume security didn't ever check or they came up 2+ hours after we called.

jeancbpugh said:
I've been awakened late at night in hotels more often by loud partying people than by children having temper tantrums.

I think the point is that being awakened late at night or early in the morning is not something most vacationers would consider a good thing, regardless of the source of the noise.

sotoalf said:
"My 3 year old throws terrible temper tantrums and screams/cries for a long, long time. I certainly wouldn't want a knock on the door from WDW security asking me to do something when nothing can be done during the tantrum."

You stop a tantrum by spanking the child: a slamp in the rump or arm will do. That's how my sister and I were disciplined as children. Of course, this is useless once the child is past a certain age. You have to catch it early. Call it preventive medicine.

AMEN

I totally agree, when little Billy or Suzie is acting up a little to much there is nothing better then a tap in the butt, it tunes them up everytime.

erinz said:
This all sounds so frustrating. But who ever is thinking about not going to Poly because of this don't let it stop you.

First of all, the noise issue will happen at every single hotel/resort sometimes. The Poly is no worse compared to any other resort.

In terms of the CMs....What I would do is this: Go to the Poly with the attitude that you will be staying at a GORGEOUS resort, with great transportation, wonderful atmosphere, in the most wonderful vacation spot in the world! AND that there will be some CMs that are just unhappy with their life right now. They maybe hate their job, have some tragedy happening within their family, or may be stressed to the maximum for some reason. And that if you need something, you may be having to work with one (or more) of them. Just expect that some of the CMs will not be very nice. Just expect it, and be prepared for it.

Chances will be always good that you won't recieve bad service at all. But if you do, see it as a frustration, a huge hassle, and/or a problem to be solved. But not as the thing that ruins your vacation. Your vacation is too important for that! :goodvibes
Boy did we try. I went to the resort TOTALLY excited! There was NOTHING more on my mind than to have an enjoyable time. I could get over the front desk being in whatever mood.... however, my frustration lies when the following happened; I could name cast memeber names...but I won't:

- Tuesday we check in no noise around 6pm- Tuesday night we hear non-stop screaming at 10pm ish; we call the front desk....goes on for much well over an hour.

- Wednesday: 6ish we are awoken with 2 kids screaming at each other. We let this go on for 30min non-stop and call the front desk. This continues for 1 1/2 hours, when they finally leave their room
The middle of the day, we go personally complain to the front desk. We are again told to call when the noise starts, and security will be called a manager notified.
That night 9pm, the shrieking and screaming continues for over an hour +. When it started, we called the front desk again. Was told security will be called.

Thursday am - 6:30ish it starts all over again. We call the front desk, same ol' story.
10:30pm - We call the front desk. 11pm it still is going on, and we personally go again to the front desk to complain. Heard the same story. Security will be called, a manager notified. CM was suprised a manager hasn't called us or visited us in our room.

Friday am - 7am-ish same thing, called front desk, goes on for 1 1/2 hrs, I insisted I speak to a manager before I come unglued. She told me the housekeeping manager would call me. I speak to her, and hold out the phone to her. At this time she comments that everytime security has gone up, nothing has been heard so she doubts anything has been done or said!!!!!!!!! I almost dropped the phone at this point. As I was even asking if they could slip a courtesy note under their door. Just saying maybe...please be aware of other guests early and late hours. or something...anything! So....I can only assume NOTHING was done. The housekeeping manager got me in touch with the Front Desk Manager. Hence the room change to another sh*t room.

Because our luggage had to be stored, and we told the room wasn't ready we hit the park. We were told that we would have to see the front desk to get the room number, as they would not give it to us until the room was ready???? There was a horrible line as people were checking in on Friday. This was our last night, and we needed some things out of our suitcase to change and get ready for going to dinner. This is when I called from a lobby phone. Was on hold to talk to someone, finally got someone and was put on hold forever as there were no notes in the system for our new room number, to find out I was disconnected. Called again, held to get connected to someone and he asked me to call back. I told him that I was in the lobby. He finally said that I had new room keys and to come to the front desk. I did tell him that I was not going to wait in the check in or guest service line. This has already taken over 1/2 hour just to get my new room assignment. Again, spoke to the front desk about the problems we had. The CM I spoke to was very nice. He said he wished he had received our complaint calls. He then confided to us about what he does to rectify the situation we were in; and how other staff members aren't so eager to take action. He said he was a customer of the Poly for MANY years before being an employee so he understands what it is like to spend that type of $$$ and what he expects from a resort. I too wish I would have gotten him in the very beginning.

Lord knows I feel we made EVERY reasonable attempt besides throwing a tantrum ourselves at the front desk. The time spent trying to get this rectified, corrected..was ridiculous. Including the fact, that we should have been moved to a room that was already made up or called the housekeeping staff to get our room ready for the least possible inconvenience to us.

This is EXACTLY what happened, plus more. I am not one to embelish or be dramatic. In fact, it was probably more horrific than what I describe....
This situation may NEVER happen to anyone ever..... but this is an experience that happened to me. One that humanly is/was impossible for me not to feel as though it ruined my vacation. This was a vacation that we planned and saved a long time for. I don't think that MY experience should stop anyone from visiting, as previously stated, it was ALOT of wonderful things to offer. But I hope you can take something from my post with you, should you experience what I did :D

just a thought
did you ever think of going to these peoples room yourself and asking them to please try and quiet there children. i know you were counting on the cms to take care of it for you but after a while i would have just taken the matter into my own hands. i do have two children and i cant stand parents who cant control their children. maybe you would have given them a wake up call.

vjc715:

I totally understand what you are saying. I think no matter how you look at it, your experience was a nightmare.

Actually, you handled it better than I would have. I usually can keep problems on a vacation in perspective....unless I have my sleep disturbed. Then I become way too close to psychotic.... :earseek:

What I would have done (and this is really bad......but I would have :angel: ) Is that after I gave the hotel 2 chances to speak to the family and they didn't, I would have called the police. I would have told them that I was extremely concerned because the children next door would not stop screaming, and that the hotel management would not check it out.

I would then look at my watch and count the seconds it took to hear a knock on their door.... :rolleyes:

God Bless you for putting up with that for as long as you did. We have had unruly neighbors in the past and I always go into the hall, check to make sure I have the correct room number and call them on the phone and politely ask them to quiet down, that they are disturbing us. I have never had to call twice.

Unfortunately, its not just Disney, I have had to call from resorts all over the western hemisphere.

However, I do beleive its worse at Disney because of the amount of "fatigue" a day in the park causes most people, children included.

Of course, confronting ignorant and rude guests doesn't always help the offending person realize that they are being rude or ignorant. One stay at the Yacht Club, we put up with EVERYONE in a family meeting up in front of the door across from us every morning. They would all meet there, about 15 of them, for their morning "conference" and go over the plans for the day. By the third day, I got up once their "noise" started in the hall, kids running, parents laughing, etc. etc. etc, I opened the door in my pajamas ( and I am as beautiful as the next person first thing in the morning) and politely asked them to please stop causing so much noise at such an early hour, that we were sleeping inside and didn't appreciate being woken up for a third morning in a row. They all just looked at me, the noise did cease to exist and never returned.

However, that day out at SAB, two women, about my age, walked by and said..."oh, that is the b@tch that yelled at us to shut up this morning, what an @$$hole." I kid you not!!

It's very hard to tell rude people they are being rude and expect them to correct their behavior, unfortunately, most have been up to it for years.

I'm really sorry it ruined your trip. Its very unfortunate. I hope you get some satisfaction from corresponding with the General Manager at the resort.

My Best

Heidi :wave:

So sorry you had a bad experience. I hope it never happens to you again. Stuff like this just makes me wonder what I would have done in the same situation and I probably would have just lost it completely.

We just returned from a stay at the BWI...fortunately it was perfect. Not just adequate or good enough, but ridiculously perfect. It was completely silent in our hall and I confessed to DH I've never slept better in my life, not even at home. The resort wasn't even crowded, and I honestly am still glowing from the entire experience.

Of course, we had our Disney service issues BEFORE the vacation...in trying to pay off our trip, things got a little messed up, but it was worked through and it worked out. When the CM checking me in saw the tangled history of my reservation, I could see he almost clicked into a new gear...an even better level of service. I've never had such a pleasant experience with Disney CMs in my life. It makes me so sad to read of people who were also at the World in December and had a lousy time.

I must agree, though, with posters who have noted how awful it is to see families screaming at each other and their kids. I didn't see it alot, but I definitely saw angry parents, some with only one young child in a stroller..who were snapping at each other or not even speaking to each other at all. It's sad. The worst was many times this is in the morning, when everyone is supposed to be at least somewhat refreshed.

DH and I have no children yet, but we are thinking about a family and soon. However, WDW is probably not the place to go to see if you would like to be a parent. One family whom I got friendly with in one of the parks marvelled over how cute DH and I were and then said "Wait until you have children....you won't be able to stand each other." We were a little taken aback....if kids do nothing but make everyone miserable (even on vacation!) then why does anyone ever want to have kids? I just don't get it, but it makes me a little uneasy.

mermaid please dont think that everyone with kids feels that way i am not going to say it is always a bed of roses but having children is the best expierence of your life.it does get hectic at times but someone saying that they hate their spouse because of kids is crazy i think they must have issues of their own that have nothing to do with kids. if anything i believe having children brings you closer together.and as long as you are consistant with them and dont let them get away with everything then you should not be a parent that anyone will complain about.i have 2 boys and i would never let them run in the halls or scream in a hotel room if they did they would not be going on vacation for a long time. so not all kids are horrible at hotels i personally think it is the parents fault for letting it happen.

I would not change resorts due to this problem. As stated this can happen anywhere and does. If the people next door are loud enough you can hear them regardless of where you stay. It would be the same if you live in a Condo complex or apartments.

The Polynesian staff that the OP dealt with definitely dropped the ball. This does not mean everyone there would have handled the problem the same way.

My advice to anyone else traveling in the future if you encounter such a problem, do not allow it to make your trip less than you deserve. Rather than accepting your fate and then come home later to be upset and want to contact someone. Take action then.

I have had bad situations occur at Disney. You can not go as much as our family does and not have it happen. Have I ever left not satisfied, absolutely not. I am not going to pay as much as I pay for a Disney trip to leave unsatisfied.

I always give Disney staff the first chance to make it right, after that I let them know what they need to do to solve the problem. Yes, they should be the problem solvers, but they hire a lot of young people with little experience, pay them very little and I personally think at times I am better at solving the problem than they are.

I would have called security and after that did not help. I would have called back and asked them to come to my room. I would have had them come in my room and listen to the problem. That way they could not say there was no noise coming from the room. I would have then waited for them to go next door and deal with the problem. If they did not do this I would have then contacted the on duty manager and asked then for a room change. I would not have moved out of the room I was in, until the other room was ready.

I do not expect Disney to be able to control the manners or lack of manners by other guests. I do expect them to assist me in making my trip enjoyable.
I do feel some of that responsibility lies with me.

I'm going to agree with the majority as well. SO sorry this happened. I agree, it's the parents that were the problem. So no, the CM isn't supposed to tape the kid's mouths shut, they were to talk to the parents! I'm disappointed they didn't at least CALL them and say they had been getting complaints about the noise from their room. At least THAT would have been something! Yes, maybe the parents would have done nothing but then more action could have been taken. People DO get booted out of resorts. I don't know about at WDW but I've heard it happen. Why should rude and inconsiderate people be allowed to ruin the stays for other guests? This was not your apartment and you had neighbors next door, in which case you woudl have needed to talk to them directly probably before reporting to the manager, this is a RESORT and it isn't the guests' resposibilty to take on these guysts themselves and take matters into their own hands. It was the resorts' JOB. Who knows what they could ahve done or what you would have been met with. I think it's silly ot assume that they would have met you with an apology since they didn't seem to be the type to care. How could anyone be THAT clueless that their noise was not being heard?!?!!?

I wonder if making the manager listening to it over the phone would have had any impact. Probably not. He or she would have held the phone away from their ears.

We are peope that are in the habit of getting up at 5:30 and 6am when we go on vacations to hit breakfast early and then the parks. We make certain we are as quiet as we can be and we keep our son quiet too. He has been always taught to be respectful. Sure, it's not always 100% (he's only 4) but we always keep in mind we are not alone. Walls at all of the resorts we've stayed at have not been the most sound proof shall I say. Yep, nothing can be done about those turbo toilets.

We've stayed at the Poly twice, the last time being in concierge and in OUR experience( that's OURS) we felt the resort was VERY lovely and theming wise our absolute favorite (well, AKL being a close second or tied), but the CMs more often than not, made it very unplesant and we probably won't stay there again. Many other nice places to stay. Maybe some day LONG down the road we'll try again but not in the next 10 years anyway.

Sorry!!! Persue satifaction!!!! Keep us updated!

Thanks everyone for your support and comments. Yes...I thought of knocking on the door, but thought that they would end up trying to complain about me. And it was just not a battle I wanted to get into.

4 weeks before coming to WDW, I was admitted in the hospital due to heart problems & not being able to breathe. Weeks before I spent time doing numerous tests & hospital visits. I'm only 34, and my mom died last year of a heart attack at the age of 54. My doctor suggested that I think about cancelling our trip, until I told him I would take it easy, not stress, and get the rest I need. Not to mention I told him I was busting at the seams to go with excitement! Hence, this was also an incentive to try the calm and cool approach dealing with our problem noise problem, and let the CM's do their job.

I too, if I don't get myself turn into a psycho case, so you can imagine how hard it was for me to choose the other path. I agree....now thinking about it...I should have called the police. Maybe they could have contacted the resort for us. I think calling them would have been a wonderful idea, but didn't even think doing that. I just know I didn't want a face to face meet due to possible confrontation. Heck, I should have gotten online w/our laptop we brought and posted a WHAT SHOULD I DO POST? I know you all would have smacked me to attention and give me these great suggestions. Cause I obviously wasn't thinking clear, not to mention all I could see was RED! God help our next noisy neighbor...hahahahaha :earseek:

p.s. Yes...I think I would have felt a bit better if the Poly said something to them. At least I could say the resort did something for me. I know if I have a noisey neighbor, all I would have to do is call the Homeowners Association we have and they would take action. In my case, the poly didn't even take action. And again, I was polite, calm, at one point even broke down in tears a couple of times (which I felt stupid about), but I was sooo emotionally drained all around, frustrated, and at my witts end. I just wanted help :guilty: But I obviously relied on the staff toooo much.

I didn't know nothing was being said to the neighbors until the last day we were at the Poly and was told that by the housekeeping manager. If security or a front desk manager contacted me and said "we hear no noise" after my 1st or even 2nd complaint, I would have gladly said come in my room and listen. Because when the housekeeping manager told us that nothing has probably been said to them because no noise was heard by security, I told her and the front desk manager they were welcome to come in my room right now and sit with us. I also held the phone away from my ear to the air, and said listen to this.

This is my 2nd trip to WDW, but mostly do trips 30+ to Disneyland resorts. Overall, I feel fortunate, because this was my 1st problem at a Disney resort.
So....again, I must repeat myself....don't let stories on the boards freak you out! Take the knowledge with you should problems occur. Hopefully all this info might help others in their pursuit of an enjoyable vacation. :flower1:

eeyore0062 said:
\

Do you live in our neighborhood? We have a neighbor across the street on the opposite corner who lights off his bottle rockets every night and the junk ends up in our yard. Very irritating! :mad:
do you live in missouri? if not, there are apparently inconsiderate jerks everywhere!

OMG!!!!! :guilty: NO WONDER you needed peace and quiet!!!!!

OK now I'm seeing red.

I would definitely send a letter.....to Poly management and every other level above that. I would explain your health situation and everything that happened in chronological order (like you did with us). I would then (if your doctor would be willing to) have your doctor write a paragraph or two explaining how important it was that you had NO stress on your trip and why it was completely reasonable (and probably necessary) that you did not speak to the family in person.

I would then request your money back, or some compensation which would be appropriate considering your health was at risk.

Yes, this could happen anywhere, but the lack of response happened at the Poly, and they need to make amends.

Poly management...... :badpc:

vjc715 said:
I hope that our incident was isolated. It may have been alot better if the walls were thicker, and we didn't have an ajoining room. We ended up putting the day bed mattress against the door, and surrounded it with pillows. What a sight that was! hahaha! It just didn't help us to be then moved to a high traffic area where we heard just as much noise. The lack of service was disappointing coming from a DELUXE resort.

Oh yeah....and that "comp" meal of ohana's. I was told to give them my room key, and it would be charged, then immediately credited. I checked my bank account, and there is a charge....but no credit. If I don't get a credit within 3 days, guess who has to call long distance now and have to make sure I get reimbursed? ugggh.....

WOW! :eek:
I would have been just as disturbed as you were. We have stayed at the Poly and had a wonderful room and a wonderful time. In your situation there is no excuse for them to have ignored all your calls and complaints. I would definately report it. You paid deluxe prices and should have gotten deluxe service.

nygrl said:
mermaid please dont think that everyone with kids feels that way i am not going to say it is always a bed of roses but having children is the best expierence of your life.it does get hectic at times but someone saying that they hate their spouse because of kids is crazy i think they must have issues of their own that have nothing to do with kids. if anything i believe having children brings you closer together.and as long as you are consistant with them and dont let them get away with everything then you should not be a parent that anyone will complain about.i have 2 boys and i would never let them run in the halls or scream in a hotel room if they did they would not be going on vacation for a long time. so not all kids are horrible at hotels i personally think it is the parents fault for letting it happen.

Thanks! I definitely think you're right....and we did see so many lovely families at the World...but the bad experiences seem to stick in your mind more.

To the OP....make sure you say all you've said here about your health issues in your letter to the Poly. Who knows what good it will do, but it certainly can't hurt! The more I think about your experience, the angrier I become. For the money a WDW vacation costs, things like that should be immediately addressed.

erinz said:
OMG!!!!! :guilty: NO WONDER you needed peace and quiet!!!!!

OK now I'm seeing red.

I would definitely send a letter.....to Poly management and every other level above that. I would explain your health situation and everything that happened in chronological order (like you did with us). I would then (if your doctor would be willing to) have your doctor write a paragraph or two explaining how important it was that you had NO stress on your trip and why it was completely reasonable (and probably necessary) that you did not speak to the family in person.

I would then request your money back, or some compensation which would be appropriate considering your health was at risk.

Yes, this could happen anywhere, but the lack of response happened at the Poly, and they need to make amends.

Poly management...... :badpc:
Thank you! I never even thought about a note from my physician. And goodness knows I have all the hospital/doctor bills to also back it up.

Believe it or not, I'm not even looking for anything to be reimbursed besides my meal I have yet to get a credit for. I called today...and they said it is being processed. Anyway, I would be THRILLED to peices if staff members are talked to about this situation and further customer service training is performed, so lack of attention to our complaint does not happen to anyone else.

I was not planning on getting up early, nor should I be forced to be up every morning by screaming and loud rukus for hours.

I will be interested to see what the General Manager says/does after reading my letter. I had gotten to know the General Manager at the Disney Pacific hotel (which is now Paradise Peir).... not because I complained once...not ever, but because of how much $$$ I spent staying there. He would send personal note cards thanking me and my then fiance. Send tuxedo strawberries, mickey rice krispies, or some other desert...but always had a very nice note. My favorite was always his personalized note. I was always more than willing to spend more money to stay there because of the beyond superior customer service. I can deal with ALOT of things, as long as there is service. Even a bad meal is tolerable, as long as I have a great attentive server.

When we got to our 2nd Sh*T room on our last day....I just gave up, and decided not to ask to be moved again. Which I should have, but didn't have the energy. The thermostat was broke, I had to call the front desk again and as for maintenance, and the elevator/stairway noise. We waited for the maintenance man, Ken, who was WONDERUL!!!! We then headed for Ohana's and had a great meal and fantastic server/service! We ended our last night the best we could, but was woken up again around 6am ish by the sounds of people yelling from the elevator to their kids, people standing outside our door, kids yelling down the hall, the sound of kids running down the stairwell...then later around 8ish started people coming up the stairs and some with luggage.

I swear I was in a Seinfeld episode special.... or please someone tell me I was on candid camera and this all was a joke!!!! ;-) I still LOVE disney...and have a very proud collection that I will always treasure. We must have missed Tinkerbell when she was sprinkling her pixie dust on this trip!!!

WOW! Out of control! This can and will happen anywhere. The only difference? All of the information available here. A note from the doctor would probably receive a note from the legal department. What are you looking for? Put what you are expecting into a letter and let the complaint run the course. You were at WDW, a known family attraction. Now you want to introduce that your doctor "ordered" quiet and relaxation. How many doctors would suggest WDW? This is why Disney has a legal department, to fight these types of "complaints." Yes, there were guests making noise and you complained. You didn't request a room change until later. You expected Disney to "enforce" your "quiet" rest vacation. Honest, take the meal and be happy. The further this thread goes, the less weight the arguement carries. WDW is a family vacation magnet. If I wanted "quiet," WDW is the last place that I would consider. No, you should not have had to endure the constant noise, but few would. Adding in the approach of a doctor's note creates the possibility of a vacation that was too expensive? I'm not accusing you of this, I just don't understand why it would be important. There is no excuse for bad parenting. WDW is limited in how it can interact. If they err and intervene without enough proof, they will be sued by the family accused. If they don't do enough(in the eyes of the complainant), they receive negative publicity like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter