Who is having 2nd thoughts about upcoming WDW trip?

Has the recent changes and lack of info from Disney got you questioning you trip?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
we just don't know about that yet.

But couldn't that be Disney's next promotion? I mean it doesn't sound as cool as Limited Time Magic.....or are they one in the same? Either way, it doesn't give me an incentive to plop down 3 or 4 grand to see if they have figured it out.

I think this is the key to the whole system.

I'm not quite sure that most people won't want to schedule their whole day. After all, why else to people get up at ungodly hours for rope drops, religiously study touring plans, hoard fastpasses? These are all plans.

However, they're FLEXIBLE plans. If I know I'll want to spend the morning at AK and the evening at Epcot, I won't mind scheduling several FP+ in the morning at AK and several more in the evening for Epcot. But I want the FLEXIBILITY to change my mind based on weather, crowds, or just a whim. If I'm "stuck" with those parks from 120+ days out, I'll be mad. But if I can whip out my phone halfway through the day and say "nah, let's do MK tonight instead" and still have the ability to move my fastpasses over to the new park, then it's fine.

So, I don't think that MDE and FP+ are inherently "too rigid". I think it will all come down to how flexible the system is, and we just don't know about that yet.

Exactly! If we can be flexible on the fly - use our phones and the app or kiosks - then I won't be as stressed. All depends how many "slots" will be available for each ride and if they open more the day of.

I've heard that you could not choose FP+ at multiple parks. Are there other rumors floating around that this might not be true? Or is this your wish?

At present, you can only choose three FP+ & only in one park. No hopping and no additional FPs. Who knows if that's temporary or not?

We were tentatively planning a 2014 trip, but will now wait until a) 7DMT is up and running reliably, and b) MB/MDE/FP+ is fully operational and rolled out to all guests.

Sounds like a loophole that will be closed right after they fix the double dipping thingie. ;) But at the same time.....it could make for a cool spreadsheet that shows their hotels are booked at 80% capacity. Corporate loves positive spreadsheets. :scratchin

Nothing gets corporate-types giddier than pointing to spreadsheets and charts while discussing their "metrics" (I really hate that word).

Anyway, I agree that loophole probably will not last that long.

Wait......really? If we booked one or two nights at a Value, we could have 5 days of FP+?

Yes! If uyou book just one night at a Dinsey property you have access to a 14 day window to book FP+. You can book as many FP+ days as you have days on your ticket. 5 day ticket - you can book 5 days of FP+. 10 day ticket - you can book 10 days of FP+. All this even if you are only spending the first night in a Disney hotel. It has been successfully done by other posters. Could save someone's Christmas trip!!

No offense taken. Whether an individual pays rack rate or not has little to do with how easy it is or isn't to alienate them. If you've always paid rack rate, it's the going rate. What alienates you is getting less for the going rate.

Didn't mean to say this is absolute, either in a macro or micro sense. My point is that resort guests (viewed by Disney as an entire class) have already shown a level of commitment and loyalty not assumed of non-resort guests. Decisions about Dining Plans and hard ticket events add to this picture.

Resort guests will be the hardest to alienate because of the value the place on all of the intangibles of Disney and the resorts, and I just don't see (and neither does Disney) that by going from unlimited same-day FP opportunities to a limit of 3 that require prior booking will alienate a significant number of resort guests to the degree that they quit coming. Especially when considering trade-off of heightened level of satisfaction amongst their "replacements."

You're almost right with customer sat. It's not reality but perception measured against expectation. Reality has very little to do with anything. Let's use FP+, FP- and October as an example. The reality of what occurred with FP on any given day in October doesn't matter. What matters is each individuals perception of what occurred. That's why you could have two individuals at the same park on the same day reporting completely different satisfaction levels.

First, I'm talking about classes of visitors, not individuals. Second, wrt the Disney experience, there is obviously no objective reality. Perception is just understood to be reality.

I should be clear, I think anybody dropping Disney based on biased reports from a limited test is making a very poor decision. But you must at least acknowledge the number of people in this thread alone, many of whom are long time visitors, who have indicated they plan to leave Disney behind for other options. I'm not making it up, I'm just commenting on what others have already said.

The number of posters in this thread, and on this site, are statistically insignificant to the calculus.

Didn't mean to say this is absolute, either in a macro or micro sense. My point is that resort guests (viewed by Disney as an entire class) have already shown a level of commitment and loyalty not assumed of non-resort guests. Decisions about Dining Plans and hard ticket events add to this picture.
I don't think you can gauge any level of loyalty based on the fact somebody is a resort guest. The very first time I stayed on property, I did so because it was easier. One stop shopping for all my needs ... tickets and hotel. Once I saw the value, I continued to stay on property. My loyalty to Disney has nothing to do with where I stay. I show my loyalty by vacationing there.

Resort guests will be the hardest to alienate because of the value the place on all of the intangibles of Disney and the resorts, and I just don't see (and neither does Disney) that by going from unlimited same-day FP opportunities to a limit of 3 that require prior booking will alienate a significant number of resort guests to the degree that they quit coming. Especially when considering trade-off of heightened level of satisfaction amongst their "replacements."
This doesn't appear to be true. Look at the examples of long time vacationers and long time resort guests who have already indicated they are questioning their continued loyalty. Some going so far to halt plans to purchase DVC or sell their stake in DVC.

First, I'm talking about classes of visitors, not individuals. Second, wrt the Disney experience, there is obviously no objective reality. Perception is just understood to be reality.
Not quite. There is reality and perception. Crowd levels could be medium, but "Bob" expected them to be low. "Bob's" perception is high crowds when the reality is medium. Then factor in other influences like FP+, FP- issues, etc. While reality may be that it was a medium crowd level and FP- experienced technical issues, "Bob's" perception is the crowds were high and this new FP+ thing led to a reduction of available FP-. "Bob" gets upset, questions future Disney vacations and starts looking at other options for next year.

The number of posters in this thread, and on this site, are statistically insignificant to the calculus.

Which is why people should stop placing such faith on the negative experiences of a limited few.

I don't think you can gauge any level of loyalty based on the fact somebody is a resort guest. The very first time I stayed on property, I did so because it was easier. One stop shopping for all my needs ... tickets and hotel. Once I saw the value, I continued to stay on property. My loyalty to Disney has nothing to do with where I stay. I show my loyalty by vacationing there.

Do you think that this board provides a representative sample of Disney resort guests? If so, I can see no other way to conclude the level of passion for all things Disney is greater with that group.

This doesn't appear to be true. Look at the examples of long time vacationers and long time resort guests who have already indicated they are questioning their continued loyalty. Some going so far to halt plans to purchase DVC or sell their stake in DVC.

Apparently, you do think this group is representative.

Not quite. There is reality and perception. Crowd levels could be medium, but "Bob" expected them to be low. "Bob's" perception is high crowds when the reality is medium. Then factor in other influences like FP+, FP- issues, etc. While reality may be that it was a medium crowd level and FP- experienced technical issues, "Bob's" perception is the crowds were high and this new FP+ thing led to a reduction of available FP-. "Bob" gets upset, questions future Disney vacations and starts looking at other options for next year.

You seem intent on narrowing my broader expectations/reality argument to the perceived crowd level. I was speaking in terms of overall satisfaction. The repeat visitor has a basis for comparison: was my room too far away from the bus stop, too close to the nisy pool, etc.

Which is why people should stop placing such faith on the negative experiences of a limited few.

Well, which is it? hard to tune out the naysayers and forge ahead while giving ear to those who say they're out after all these years.

I suspect Disney has a fair read on what will happen after the testing period is done and that they are confident it will provide a better experience for more people (at the cost of some).

Do you think that this board provides a representative sample of Disney resort guests? If so, I can see no other way to conclude the level of passion for all things Disney is greater with that group.
No. This forum would represent a sample of loyal superfans. The most important group of Disney customers, who continue to return year after year. They purchase Annual Passes, frequently stay on property, purchase DVC. They evangelize about Disney to friends and family. They help their friends book and plan vacations. They raise future loyal superfans.

Apparently, you do think this group is representative.
They do not provide an adequate sample of the "typical" Disney customer, no. I'm not even sure what the point is anymore, other than to suggest that FP+ is not designed to cater to fairness as making casual guests happy at the expensive of your loyal guests doesn't translate to the bottom line. Casual guests are just that, casual guests. Disney wants repeat business. They want the DISers, who come once or more per year, every year. They want the group they can count on to spend their money. They want the sure thing.

You seem intent on narrowing my broader expectations/reality argument to the perceived crowd level. I was speaking in terms of overall satisfaction. The repeat visitor has a basis for comparison: was my room too far away from the bus stop, too close to the nisy pool, etc.
Even broader the point is still the same. Overall satisfaction will come based on their perception. I don't think I've ever met anybody who stopped visiting Disney because their room was too far from the bus stop or they were too close to the pool. Those are things that you adjust when planning your next trip. And we've seen there are some that don't want to plan future trips due to the perceived in-park experiences, not their room location.

Well, which is it? hard to tune out the naysayers and forge ahead while giving ear to those who say they're out after all these years.

I suspect Disney has a fair read on what will happen after the testing period is done and that they are confident it will provide a better experience for more people (at the cost of some).

You must not get my view. I totally believe Disney knows what will happen after testing and that it will provide a better experience for people. I do not, however, believe Disney spent such significant money to "level the playing field" between loyal fans who repeatedly visit and casual visitors who might visit once or once every five or more years.

Perhaps we should look at this another way. Over the past 10 years, what else has Disney done to provide a balance between dedicated and casual visitors? Assuming this is their goal, I would have to believe it's not a new one.

Edited to add: FP+ is, in my opinion, about moving towards the future. Enhancing Disney's ability to provide the best Theme Park experience. It will offer benefits to all guests, but most importantly to Disney. I do not believe that it represents a policy of fairness, where loyal fans are "punished" and casual guests are rewarded in an attempt to win the favor of casual guests at the expense of the loyal fans. I believe Disney places a greater value on loyal fans as they represent a more reliable revenue stream, year over year. I do not believe Disney puts policies in place to punish casual guests, but I also do not believe they create policies simply to reward them, especially as it relates to the experience for their loyal fans.

No second thoughts here, just gathering as many information as I can so when my trips comes I'll be ready to hit the ground running. I'm pretty sure there'll be no double dipping by November '14 so I'll be reworking my touring plans accordingly and I'll go with the flow.

It's a vacation, not a contest to see who rides more rides or see more shows.

At present, you can only choose three FP+ & only in one park. No hopping and no additional FPs. Who knows if that's temporary or not?

If this stays true, Disney can kiss a lot of revenue from money spent on park hopping goodbye. I sure as heck won't buy hoppers any more, purely on principle.

It's a vacation, not a contest to see who rides more rides or see more shows.

I don't think anyone on either side of the fence would disagree with that, but that's kind of the point. It's a vacation, and for many, it's becoming a very complicated one to plan.

I think this is the key to the whole system.

I'm not quite sure that most people won't want to schedule their whole day. After all, why else to people get up at ungodly hours for rope drops, religiously study touring plans, hoard fastpasses? These are all plans.

However, they're FLEXIBLE plans. If I know I'll want to spend the morning at AK and the evening at Epcot, I won't mind scheduling several FP+ in the morning at AK and several more in the evening for Epcot. But I want the FLEXIBILITY to change my mind based on weather, crowds, or just a whim. If I'm "stuck" with those parks from 120+ days out, I'll be mad. But if I can whip out my phone halfway through the day and say "nah, let's do MK tonight instead" and still have the ability to move my fastpasses over to the new park, then it's fine.

So, I don't think that MDE and FP+ are inherently "too rigid". I think it will all come down to how flexible the system is, and we just don't know about that yet.

You get 1 park per day and I was just there and did try to switch things up one day on my smart phone...nothing good available (nothing needing a FP).

Wow, the overwhelming yes is kind of unsettling. The FP+ annoys me, but NEVER enough to "have 2nd thoughts" on the entire trip altogether.

I could see how the current state could make off site visitors reconsider.

I've been watching FP distribution and ride times the past few days and it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me at all. Certainly not enough to make me reconsider. Today is a good HS day ... TSMM is 60 minutes, RNR is 30 minutes. Everything else 15 or less. ToT and Star Tours still have FP available, with return times within 1 hour. Epcot is an OK day. Soarin and Test Track 50 minutes, everything else 10 or less with some FP still available for Living with the Land, Maelstrom and Mission Space. MK pretty good as well. Longest wait looks like 35 minutes. Plenty of FP still available.

I've been watching FP distribution and ride times the past few days and it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me at all. Certainly not enough to make me reconsider. Today is a good HS day ... TSMM is 60 minutes, RNR is 30 minutes. Everything else 15 or less. ToT and Star Tours still have FP available, with return times within 1 hour. Epcot is an OK day. Soarin and Test Track 50 minutes, everything else 10 or less with some FP still available for Living with the Land, Maelstrom and Mission Space. MK pretty good as well. Longest wait looks like 35 minutes. Plenty of FP still available.

Forget about this week, I have been here since Oct 16 and the parks were busy and the lines on some rides long. This week so far it has been empty and easy to walk on. Except I will say TSM today had a FP at 9:30 for 7:30 return time. not too many FP for that ride but the stand bye line at times was Ok.. Last week at 9:10 got FP for 6:35 and the stand by line was 105 min.
At MK more than one day the rides were down that we had FP+ for.

This week does look real good. Christmas week should be interesting though.

Planogirl said:
This week does look real good. Christmas week should be interesting though.

I'm interested in seeing Thanksgiving weeks and Christmas weeks. Should be a BARREL of fun! We can play "count the smiles"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter