Who is going for the marathon and where are you staying?

DisneyMomx7

DIS Veteran
DH changed his mind (again) and we are now back to going for the marathon. I booked Contemporary (never stayed there before) for the convenience of walking to MK.

When are you going and where are you staying? Did I make the right decision with the CR or would you recommend somewhere else?

We're booked January 6-10 although I'm rethinking that and may change it to January 5-10 to give DH more time to pick up his packet and such. THis is really a short trip for us - we usually go for at least 10 days but we'll be back in July so I think this will be really fun.

Any advice from other spectators or runners in the marathon? THanks.

Were staying at the Poly. My dd is in the marathon. I've read that you can walk to the ttc the morning of the race. I'm not 100% sure of this, if so then avoiding the traffic will make the day more special. :cool1:

we're going jan 5-12 and staying at CBR. This trip was planned from my parents 40th wedding anniversary. My brother read about the marathon after we booked and decided to run. although it's not really our main reason for going.

Tina1 said:
Were staying at the Poly. My dd is in the marathon. I've read that you can walk to the ttc the morning of the race. I'm not 100% sure of this, if so then avoiding the traffic will make the day more special. :cool1:

Yes, you can walk to the TTC from the Poly. DH really wants the kids to see him run through MK that's why we booked CR, figuring we could walk to MK and then take the monorail over to Epcot for the finish.

I've gone back and forth with Poly and CR - couldn't decide. SInce we're staying at the POly in JUly I went with CR. DOes anyone know if one is better than the other. Can't go with GF because DH had major problems with GF mousekeeping last summer!

Going for the 1/2 and staying at SSR Jan 1st - 12th :cool1:

Dont think SSR is the most cenvenient but that is OK

Hiya! We are going from 1/4/06 - 1/12/06. Our first 4 nights are at WL and the last 4 will be at AKL.

Our training has really gone downhill (life keeps getting in the way) and we are just hoping to finish.

By the way, have you all received packets of information in the mail? We haven't :confused3

Hey DisneyMom, we are staying in the CR too, Jan 3 - 13th. DH is running the half marathon. He was going to do the full one but decided against it since he ran the Twin Cities Marathon here in MN in Sept. Maybe we'll bump into you at the Contemporary. :)

Now Mom of 3 said:
Hey DisneyMom, we are staying in the CR too, Jan 3 - 13th. DH is running the half marathon. He was going to do the full one but decided against it since he ran the Twin Cities Marathon here in MN in Sept. Maybe we'll bump into you at the Contemporary. :)

Well you won't run into me at the Contemporary because DH changed his mind again - we're back to the GF. He drives me crazy. On the marathon day if you see three little kids (two dds and one ds) with Mickey sweatshirts that say "My Dad is Running the Walt Disney World Marathon - January 2006" that will be us!

:confused3 I'm not sure were to post this....but....I'm running the full and I need to find out more information for spectrators, can my dh and dd(7) drive during the marathon (we will have a rental car)? Should they go to the start or is it just to crazy? We are staying in the CBR. This is my 10th marathon but our first disney so we're not sure what to expect. I need insider and past runners/spectators help!

Marathonmom said:
:confused3 I'm not sure were to post this....but....I'm running the full and I need to find out more information for spectrators, can my dh and dd(7) drive during the marathon (we will have a rental car)? Should they go to the start or is it just to crazy? We are staying in the CBR. This is my 10th marathon but our first disney so we're not sure what to expect. I need insider and past runners/spectators help!

This is our first marathon. I had trouble getting this type of information myself. It is my understanding that there are buses for the spectators and driving yourself is definitely not a good idea. We decided to stay at a monorail resort because the kids were more interested in seeing DH run down mainstreet than getting up at 3:00 to see the start. We're going to watch at MK then monorail over to Epcot and hopefully get to see the finish. I know the buses go to the start and I think from there they go to different points along the route but hopefully someone with experience will be able to answer your questions better.

BTW we're staying at CBR for the first time this July. We're never able to stay at a moderate because we're a family of 5 but in-laws are coming for a week with us in July and we'll be on dd in with them before transferring over to the Poly after they leave. Let me know how you like CBR. Thanks.

I'm actually just doing the 1/2 this time - but may have some helpful info. I would NOT recommend trying to drive around to spectate - use Disney transportation. My parents have been able to see us run by at 3 or four different spots in past years. . .it's actually quite easy to map it out if you know your race pace. All of the resorts have early buses to get runners to the starting line - always works pretty well.

I wouldn't recommend spectators going to the starting line either - do you really want to get up THAT early?!?! :rotfl: You wouldn't be able to get near the starting area anyway. Don't worry too much about registration - they are pretty efficient. I would try to do that first thing in the morning (Thurs-Sat) and get it over with. All the info/race number/time chips are in there - and some goodies too!

Have fun everyone - and don't forget to drink lots of water (even if it's cold), carry a few power gels/bars, and take a disposable camera (if you can stand to carry it). The costumes people wear are hilarious - and the characters are out in full force. Any other questions - feel free to PM me! Good luck! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

By the way - 30 of us are staying at BWV!! (Easy walk to the start line). We'll see you at PI on Sunday night!!

Marathonmom said:
:confused3 I need insider and past runners/spectators help!

This will be our second marathon weekend and we will be staying at the VWL. Here is what we learned last year.

Unless your family is full of very early birds, I wouldn't recommend going to the start. Last year's starting line busses stopped running at 5 am. Also, at that time of the morning, it tends to be a little chilly so you may end up carrying coats around once the sun comes up. DH wore a new (Walmart) sweatsuit to the start, then shed it right before the race. All clothing left along the route is donated to a local charity.

I wouldn't recommend trying to drive during the event. If possible use monorail, boats, walking, etc. to get around. If you have to drive, go as short a distance as possible to the nearest alternative means of transportation. Last year, we drove from VWL to POLY, watched DH run past 1/2 mark, walked from POLY to TTC where we saw the race end. This year we will most likely take the boat from WL to CR then monorail from then on.

As for where to see your runner, there are a number of good spots. Here is a link to the marathon website. Website Link Follow the links to the race course map. Based on his running pace, my DH marked approximately where he would be at specific times throughout the morning. Disney also provides a service that will text your runners progress (time passing 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and finish marks) to a designated cell phone. There is a lag time, but with this info we were able to determine if DH was on schedule and where we could see him.

I hope it helps.

We'll be @ CBR - spectators for my BIL running in the Marathon. Will be joining another BIL & SIL as spectators who have been there for the Marathon. They agree - use Disney transport & Monorail to get around. We already have 4 sites mapped out. We also have always used special good star & smile mylar balloons for my runner BIL to look for to spot us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter