• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who is destashing in 2010?

DH started out really well helping with the destashing an he has cleaned out the storage shed a lot this summer the rest of the hiuse not so much. We have found an agreeable solution tho....we are in the process of selling our home to 1 of our DD's and moving leaving most of our junk behind for DD to deal with.;)

HAHA, I bought my MIL's house. She left alot of stuff behind too. I just pulled something out of the closet, wasnt sure what it was , DH said Mom left it .. so out it goes!! We have been here 4 years and this is the first time I noticed it. LOL

I just got rid of more of my comics.

1 lot of 5 comics
1 lot of 66 comics

of course the money went to the WDW fund!!!:thumbsup2

It allowed me to condense my comics by a box. Left with 5 boxes to get rid of!!!

Also, got rid of 2 more novels that we no longer want and an old textbook from my Spec Ed prgram!!

I guess slow and steady wins the race.

It is amazing how pickey we are becoming when buying items now.

Thought of this thread yesterday ! I am FINALLY getting rid of the last of the baby items in house, except for a few sentimental baby outfits, maybe 7 total. My DS just turned 8, it is time as no more little ones will be joining us.

I cried as I folded all of it up and put in the few nice toys I had kept . Thomas the Tank will go in attic, but all else GOES.

Feels good to get it all out, but sad because there will be no more babies. to play with it . : (

I should really sell it, but I want it all GONE, so off to good will today. The fisher price little people will go my godchild, so at least I can see him play with it. : )

My "baby" is 8 too, it's hard to clear out the young kid toys! I have saved a few things but tried really hard to get rid of stuff I know wouldn't last or keep. I still have a few items I can't part with but need to clear out. I have 1 bin that has sentimental stuff from all 3 kids. I decided I can only keep clothes that fit in that box. It's full so anything else can't stay or something goes.

MRSKLAMC - love the idea of 2/3! Since we're into October, things should be looking pretty good. I am so thankful for this thread! It's been a great motivator this year & we are definitely in much better shape than before.

Oh, and to hold myself accountable, I want to have the garage de-cluttered by the end of October, before it gets too cold. Right now, I'm staining my dining room table & painting chairs in there. There are odd paths to get places I want those piles gone!

Who else? The holidays will be here before we know it!

Oldest DS 18 leaves for college :scared1: on Tuesday so we have been decluttering LOTS here.
We have got rid of lots of little items, stereos, bookcases, bathing suit, sneakers, Christmas decorations, jewlery....
Feels wonderful!
I keep thinking how can I possibly have anything else to get rid of and then I find it :wizard:

Watching this thread to keep me on track.

We decluttered lots before putting our house on the market. The house sold this week. We're moving out at the end of November. I am in total declutter mode, because our stuff will be going into storage until we get our new place. No point paying to move stuff twice and to store it unless it's something we really want to keep. So another big declutter, here we come!

At night . . . in the dark . . . the bluejeans get together and all shrink a size. The papers on the desk breed more pages and sticky notes. Thedustbunnies under the bed metamorphosize into wire coathangers.

I did my bedroom a few weeks ago (well everything but my closet), but I just can't get the momentum to clean out the rest of the house. I am one of those people who "if I haven't used it in a year it is gone"...well everyone else in the house now Hides things from me if they think they will Ever use it.

Oh, and to hold myself accountable, I want to have the garage de-cluttered by the end of October, before it gets too cold. Right now, I'm staining my dining room table & painting chairs in there. There are odd paths to get places I want those piles gone!

Who else? The holidays will be here before we know it!

I LOVE the idea of an October garage de-stash. It's our biggest space that has yet to be attacked this year. I will have some trouble because it's mostly DH's stuff but worth a shot!

I

It is amazing how pickey we are becoming when buying items now.

Me too! Actually running a little short of fall clothing because I just don't want to bring it home unless I *know* I love it.

I am also putting on a burst of speed during the month of October. I also did something that has me in a little bit of a panic, but it's for the best. A friend of mine and her husband are here this week on vacation. They live in Seattle, so the opportunity to see them is rare. We are all pretty laid back people. While they are here they are staying in a nice bed and breakfast for two nights as a honeymoon and then staying with our various friends for the rest of the nights. I invited them to stay with me this Friday. What is scary is that I never invite my friends over. Ever. Because of the clutter. So....the boys and I have taken deep breaths and we are going gang busters. I accept that there will still be a lot of stuff, but I'm hoping to look like a "normal" home. I have accomplished a lot this year, but it's still a packed house. I'm on here for a moment to recharge my batteries, LOL! :goodvibes

I am also putting on a burst of speed during the month of October. I also did something that has me in a little bit of a panic, but it's for the best. A friend of mine and her husband are here this week on vacation. They live in Seattle, so the opportunity to see them is rare. We are all pretty laid back people. While they are here they are staying in a nice bed and breakfast for two nights as a honeymoon and then staying with our various friends for the rest of the nights. I invited them to stay with me this Friday. What is scary is that I never invite my friends over. Ever. Because of the clutter. So....the boys and I have taken deep breaths and we are going gang busters. I accept that there will still be a lot of stuff, but I'm hoping to look like a "normal" home. I have accomplished a lot this year, but it's still a packed house. I'm on here for a moment to recharge my batteries, LOL! :goodvibes

Way to go!! Sometimes the easiest way is to have a deadline like that. Good luck & check in when you need a break or motivation!

DH & 2 kids have been gone all weekend. I don't know what got into me but I have worked allll weekend. Scrubbed all the kitchen grout w/baking soda & grout brush, steam cleaned all the floors on the main level, painted a hall with oops paint I bought last year, and am still staining a table & painting dining chairs in between.

Then for fun, I decided to clean the garage! I am about 1/3 of the way done. I started in the front & am working my way to the back. There is now a clear path to the garage sink, organized all the home improvement odds & ends that have been thrown in misc. boxes and tossed or recycled some other stuff. We have a wall of cabinets & I'm trying to make space to store my overflow canned goods, etc. now that we're shopping at Costco again.

Who else??? Holidays are coming, it will be really nice to not be stressed about the state of the house if the motivation keeps up. Still having huge struggles with paper clutter and getting family to put stuff away though.

This weekend I tackled the DVD clutter. I haven't conquered it all, but I did find at least a dozen kid DVD's that my DS doesn't want any more and I reunited a lot of loose DVD's with their cases. So, that was a start. I also decluttered my bookshelves and entertainment center in the family room. The difference is dramatic! I threw out a bunch of stuff and rounded up 4 large bags of books that I took to the AAUW book sale. It felt great to get that stuff out of the house! Now, if I can just get DH on the decluttering bandwagon, we'll be all set! I wish I knew of a charity yard sale coming up. I'd love to give my stuff to a good cause like that. If not, it will all go to the Salvation Army! My closet is next on my list (again).

If you have any DVD's left try and donate them to your local library. My Library is happy to receive DVD's espically if they are child friendly. Our local Library also takes books and puts them in their Book sale.

I'm a huge Halloween fan, the way most people are with x-mas. So we got out the boxes from our storage shed and I was determined to go through them and get rid of stuff. Turns out I really do use all the decorations I have for display. But it was just packed very poorly. I had 7 large rubbermaid tubs. And I was able to get it down to 5 by organizing things better. :thumbsup2

Wonder if I could get my 2 x-mas boxes down to 1. ;)

I'm a huge Halloween fan, the way most people are with x-mas. So we got out the boxes from our storage shed and I was determined to go through them and get rid of stuff. Turns out I really do use all the decorations I have for display. But it was just packed very poorly. I had 7 large rubbermaid tubs. And I was able to get it down to 5 by organizing things better. :thumbsup2

Wonder if I could get my 2 x-mas boxes down to 1. ;)

I went through our Halloween stuff too and parted with a bunch.

I have a lot of toys to go through. I'm just going to take it one small box at a time. The problem is there are so many pieces and parts, that I *know* are in different boxes. It will take awhile to go through and sort everything. Now it a good time to do it, before Christmas. I plan to consign some of the toys and donate the rest. They are all in good condition because we weeded out the ones that weren't.

Instead of giving a lot of toys this Christmas, I'm looking at "experience" gifts, educational toys, and books.

I am just so glad that I just got rid of the last of DD's winter clothing ( I sell by seasons). So at least come next year when it is time to sell her winter clothes, I will only have 1 or 2 sizes to deal with, not the 5 I got rid of. :rotfl:

Can't wait to do the summer stuff next!

And it makes things so much easier in that I can really see what clothes we have.

Instead of giving a lot of toys this Christmas, I'm looking at "experience" gifts, educational toys, and books.

Ditto! Hoping to keep that as the focus here too.

I have extra motivation to tackle the garage. Our laundry room sink is in the garage & flooded this week. Thankfully the floor slopes just enough that it ran forward towards the outside and 1/3 of the garage that I already cleared. However, if it had chosen to flow back, it would have hit all the stuff still laying around. Plus a squirrel got in last night & was running around my piles. I hope he just got in when DH came home & opened the door. Ick. Plan to tackle this weekend so no critters can get cozy this winter.

I will be giving a small box of comic books, comic related toys, and a giant X-Men (36x60) poster to a fellow comic fan this afternoon (working on getting rid of stray items that are in my office!!

I also sold 12 more comic books this morning!!! for 5.50. Not a lot of money but at least it is something and there are now less comics in my house!!!!

We're getting there. Less than a month to our move so the pressure is on!

DH just freecycled two garbage bags full of his clothes. I think he got rid of more clothes than he kept. He lost a bunch of weight in the past year and a half, and has finally come to a stable new weight. So, anything that was too big is out of the closet.

I went through the giftwrap supplies that we store under our bed and got rid of a bunch there. Still need to go through the "gift stash" of things that I picked up to give as last minute b'day party gifts etc. Think I may have too much in there.

My big project for this week is going through the yarn stash. I am a knitter, and I have accumulated a rather large stash of yarn, patterns etc. I also have a bazillion partially finished projects that need to be finished up. I need to plan my projects for the next few months as we have 7 weeks in limbo between houses. I want to be sure that I have enough to keep my fingers busy, especially as I will be on holidays for part of that time (so more knitting time that usual :banana:), but I won't want to drag more with me that I'll need. The mere thought of that task is rather overwhelming. I don't want to start it until I know that I'll have a couple of uninterrupted hours. Anyone want to entertain my kids so I can do that????? popcorn::

How is the 'destash the garage by the end of October' goal?

DH took care of most of it, I still need to deal with some cardboard and some cans of paint.

Got a bit sidetracked dealing with clothing that needed 'repairs' or hemming. Lost some weight and had to destash the closet again AND replenish it with stuff that fits (via Goodwill.)

Just 2 months left to destash in 2010!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter