• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who in their right mind would be thrilled over a hysterectomy....I AM!!!!

Yesterday my doctor gave me the ok for a partial hysterectomy. After months of constant pain, PMS and quality of life that was basically in the toilet I finally will have some relief.

I have never been so happy to be facing surgery!

WOO-HOO!:banana::cool1::dance3:

Congrats!

Can I ask a question? I've noticed a few threads on this topic and am curios.....does having the surgery make all of the emotional/hormonal things go away too? For example, the mood swings and anxiety attacks that often happen during the PMS stage of your cycle?

I had posted my experience on one of the other hysterectomy threads but I will say a little here too. :) I don't really have any of my old symptoms from having my period. My recover was pretty quick but I just had a partial and it was done ******lly so I didn't have the big recovery that comes with going in through the abdomen. I have even lost weight since the surgery since I no longer have "that time of the month" as a chance to over indulge. :rolleyes1

I was absolutely THRILLED w/ my hysterectomy!
No more trying to plan supplies for vacations, unexpected surprises, BC etc.
I did not gain weight- actually I did not have any unpleasant changes- all very good ones! :banana:

I don't regret it for a second. It's only been six months since my surgery and I couldn't be happier. Amazing how quick it was to get used to not having a period. :woohoo:

Can anyone give me the actual recovery time...she said I should expect not to go back to work for at least three weeks...with my job that might as well be three months but I'll do what is necessary.

It will be a vajayjay operation and I usually bounce back pretty quickly. I usually just sit at a desk all day for my job so nothing strenuous. If my short term disabilty covers this and gives me decent pay then I'm going to milk that a little to be able to be off with my daughter some. Awful I know but with the premiums I pay I don't feel that bad.

The thing I'm looking forward to is never having to look at the pad aisle again, not having to worry about bleeding for a week straight or all the crap that comes with it.

From what I understand, everyone's recovery is different. Really depends on a lot of factors such as age, fitness, health issues, type of surgery, what all they have to remove and why, etc......
I'm 37, pretty fit and eat very healthy (for the most part). I had an excellent Dr and my surgery was done ******lly, only taking the uterus (he did have permission to take cervix/ovaries if he saw anything wrong when he got in there). I was off work for one week and went back to work (desk job). I did go back a little too soon (I just felt too darn good) but getting up out of my chair too often was overkill. Stupid me. :sad2:
I do wish they would have given me the heads up about everything getting back to "working order" down there. I've never had any type of surgery before so I didn't know what to expect.

I posted on the other thread too, but just wanted to say I have been happy I had mine done. The first few weeks were rough but once past that, well life is just so much better. I would really try to get as much time off as I could just to give yourself time to gather your strength back. I found that even after the six weeks they gave me I would get really tired if I tried to do too much.

I recomend the Hyster Sister site not so much for the forums and there does seem to some sort of agenda for "selling" different types of surgery. But I really found it helpful to know what someone who had my same procedure done, was going through so I could know what to expect. There were several little things that the doctor never mentioned but had been discussed on the board. So they happened to me I was prepared and knew what to do or not to worry.

I've noticed a few threads on this topic and am curios.....does having the surgery make all of the emotional/hormonal things go away too? For example, the mood swings and anxiety attacks that often happen during the PMS stage of your cycle?

I was able to keep one ovary and yeah I do have some mood swings and the weird anxiety attacks, but for some reason it's just not as bad as before. The doctor did say when menopause hits it'll be rough, but this has bought me a few more years. So right now I can deal and I'm a pretty happy camper.

Every time my time of the month comes I think about how nice it would b to never have to worry about that again. Granted, mine are getting fewer and farther between, but still...

My sister called me last year so happy she was crying. "I'm finally getting a hysterotectomy." I had never been more jealous of anybody in my whole life!!!!

I had to have surgery a few years ago to remove a tumor on my ovary, they removed the ovary as well, but when the DR. said he would be cutting me along my c-section incision line I begged him to just take it all out, "I'm not using any of it, please just take it."

He said if it were cancerous he would remove it, and praise God it wasn't cancer, but dang, why couldn't he just take it all? I had my tubes tide when my second child was born 16 years ago. I don't need those parts anymore.

I had my partial hysterectomy 20 years ago when I was 45 due to fibroid tumors which were causing heavy periods. Was the best thing ever!! No more monthly curse!!! Was done from "below" so no incision & recovery was fairly fast. I felt better than I actually was; even though I did wait 4 weeks before goig back to work & really should have waited the full 6 weeks. I got tired very easily.

My DD had hers, hmmmmmm, lets see...I think she was in her late 20's maybe very early 30's. She'd had a ruptured tubal pregnancy & her periods were very bad too. Doctor agreed & she's never looked back.

Of course, her H at the time (can't say DH cuz there was nothing Dear about him!!!) wasn't too pleased but too bad! The stupid jerk even couldn't understand why there was no baby; he wanted the baby saved. Not gonna happen when it's a tubal pregnancy! We kept saying we wanted DD to live & she could have another baby. Things ended up not going so well in the marriage dept so there was an awful but very needed divorce a few years after the partial hysterectomy.

Well, my periods were getting so bad I would have three weeks of awful PMS, cramps that felt like someone was stabbing me in my back and gut at the same time, quarter size clots (sorry if TMI), ect. She ran through a bunch of choices..BC pills, IUD, the ablation and finally the partial hys. I told her no to the first two, sinced the ablation has a chance my period would come back I said that would not be an option and that if I needed to go through a surgery I would like to just have the plumbing yanked out.

She is going to leave my ovaries and it will be a surgery through the wahoo. But before I do I had to have my annual exam months early, she is making me do a sonagram and a mamogram. Looking forward to the last two.:eek:
And a whole lot of lab work.

I'm going to wait until DD is out of school to get it done so about another month.

I'm only thirty five but I had a tubal ligation done at 32 because we knew we were through so no real reason to not do it.

Dawn, I could have written your post. The only difference is, I'm not wanting to wait. i'm trying for as soon as humanely possible. I sent you a PM. Also, just a heads up, Webmasterkathy gave me points and yanked my post on the very same subject because i discussed clots. Apparently, "not an appropriate subject for the Dis" You might want to edit that part out.:thumbsup2

Well, my periods were getting so bad I would have three weeks of awful PMS, cramps that felt like someone was stabbing me in my back and gut at the same time, quarter size clots (sorry if TMI), ect. She ran through a bunch of choices..BC pills, IUD, the ablation and finally the partial hys. I told her no to the first two, sinced the ablation has a chance my period would come back I said that would not be an option and that if I needed to go through a surgery I would like to just have the plumbing yanked out.

She is going to leave my ovaries and it will be a surgery through the wahoo. But before I do I had to have my annual exam months early, she is making me do a sonagram and a mamogram. Looking forward to the last two.:eek:
And a whole lot of lab work.

I'm going to wait until DD is out of school to get it done so about another month.

I'm only thirty five but I had a tubal ligation done at 32 because we knew we were through so no real reason to not do it.

I hope you didn't take my earlier post as criticism towards you and your decision because it was not meant as such in any way. It is a very personal decision and I really wish you well with your surgery and your recovery.

BTW, I could've written your first paragraph -- throw in a 2 day migrine each month followed by extreme fatigue and that was me every month. Ugh!!! I don't blame anyone for simply wanting to be done with it.

At the early age of 38 my doc had to give me some "bad news" as he put it. When he told me, I yelled.. "Thank GOD!" That was back in 1995.. I have never ever ever ever felt upset over it. To be fair, I did have 3 children and my tubes were already tied, so having more children wasn't an issue for me. I can see how it would be for some with no children, they would not think the same.

I hope you didn't take my earlier post as criticism towards you and your decision because it was not meant as such in any way. It is a very personal decision and I really wish you well with your surgery and your recovery.

BTW, I could've written your first paragraph -- throw in a 2 day migrine each month followed by extreme fatigue and that was me every month. Ugh!!! I don't blame anyone for simply wanting to be done with it.

Not at all..I appreciate the post telling your experience..they are all different.

I just don't have patience for all of it anymore..I'm a "if you don't use it then throw it out" kind of person. :rotfl:

Dawn, I could have written your post. The only difference is, I'm not wanting to wait. i'm trying for as soon as humanely possible. I sent you a PM. Also, just a heads up, Webmasterkathy gave me points and yanked my post on the very same subject because i discussed clots. Apparently, "not an appropriate subject for the Dis" You might want to edit that part out.:thumbsup2

Of all the words I'm surprised to have read on the disboards...if that is the one they choose to yank a post over then so be it. :laughing:

Glad to hear that you are getting the surgery. I have been plagued by heavy and painful periods since I was a teenager. After my 2nd child the drs told me I had many fibroids all over my uterus. They gave me three options (at 30) take hormones to help with the periods, endure, have surgery. Well I was too scared at 30 to do that, but now at 37 it's getting really bad. I am glad to know that if it's only partial they don't have to cut you open. I had 2 c-sections and that is hard to recover from. You are all inspiring.:cheer2:

The thread that I started a week or so ago was deleted as well as they said it was TMI. I've seen similar posts on the TTC thread using the words and similar details. :confused3

Thank you so much for this thread! I'm getting towards the end but the monthly cycles the heavy flows are killing me. I had a D & C which didn't help.
The doctor may do another or an ablation.

Are the hysterectomy recoveries still as painful as they were years ago?
I was hoping it would get better before that option. :confused:

I didn't know some of this was taboo on dis too, please tell me if I should delete anything.

I'm not having mine done until June when DD gets out of school but I'll post my experience afterwards (if I can remember).

I had one at the end of October. Its great to not have to deal with a the pain and bleeding every month. The mood swings are a different story. Still PMSing like a crazy person. :mad:

I had a Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy. Thats a mouthful! Through the bellybutton, tiny tiny incision, no scars and healing was incredibly quick. I still ovulate and it feels the same as it used to.

Are they removing your cervix? Wishing you a great outcome! :) I had a similar post and there was LOTS of great info posted. I'll see if I can dig it up!

It was VERY painful for me. I didn't have too much cramping after it was over, but i'm having some twinges today, where they took tissue from and in my cervical area. For more details, you can visit my blog if you all are interested.
BTW, does anyone here post on Hyster sisters?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter