who here has gotten rid of their land line?

Several years ago, my landline phone needed batteries....I checked into batteries and was :scared1: about the price....so I never replaced it. No one left messages on our voice mail except some sales calls, so after a few months, DH and I just decided to dump the landline since everyone was just calling us on our cells anyway (mostly because family is long distance and we cut out that years ago). Plus, almost everyone in my family uses the same carrier, so we use Facetime and chat away.

I got rid of my land line 3 or 4 years ago. No regrets at ALL. It had gotten to the point where I realized that ALL calls to my home phone were crap calls. :p Why was I paying $35+ a month to be annoyed and/or harrassed?!? :furious: Anyone I'd want to talk with has my and DS's cell phone numbers - they can and do reach us on those. :thumbsup2

:lmao: bahahaha! so true! pay each month just to get harrassed! LOL! :rotfl2:

I got rid of my landline YEARS ago. Best thing i ever did. Landlines are useless for me! I get great reception at my home. Had i not, i would have kept my landline.

We don't have a land line and have direct. What services require a phone line? :confused3

I don't think it's anything critical, but according to Directv:

To receive the full benefits of your DIRECTV System (pay per view purchases via remote control/sports subscription auto-renewal), the receiver must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line, which means that both the phone and the receiver must have a fixed location. Unfortunately, a cell phone does not meet either of these criteria in terms of remaining in a fixed location and its ability to be continuously connected to the receiver.

We've had several sports subscriptions in the past, which is probably why I'm recalling the need for a landline with Directv.

Can't get rid of the landline. My internet comes through that line.

Can not imagine not having a land line, and I posted a thread about all you folks with cell phones only that leave unintelligible messages for me.....don't sure how folks put up with that.

We can't, cell service is not reliable at our house.

Same problem in my house. I'd love to ditch it, but to call someone on my cell I have to go outside and up the driveway, face North-Northwest, pray the wind isn't blowing, and forbid anyone from walking within 30 feet of me. Guess that is the trade off for living further away from the city and in the more rural area.

We dropped ours in 08 . . same year we got U-verse and didn't need to have dial up internet . . .:rotfl2:

I don't miss it AT ALL!

My family room is about 7 steps down from my the main floor of my house and our cells won't work down there. Plus not sure if it's my cell phone or others but there always seems to be a slight delay where we start talking over one another. That drives me crazy. I would like to get rid of the landline but I don't think we can yet. We are upgrading our cell phones in Dec. so I'll see how the new phones work.

Can not imagine not having a land line, and I posted a thread about all you folks with cell phones only that leave unintelligible messages for me.....don't sure how folks put up with that.

Yes you can. I had both phone and internet with ATT and I was able to cancel the phone and keep the 'net.

Yep, we have AT&T and only have the DSL line, it used to be for both, but cancelled the phone part of it.

For those who have gotten rid of their land lines, does anyone have directv? If so, how did you get around the fact that you need a phone line plugged into the receiver for certain services?

We have no land line and have direct tv. WE never had issues other than annoying message make daily call soon on one receiver which is now in receiver grave yard.

For those of you who have poor cell reception in your home, but also have wi-fi.....

There's a Skype app for iOS, Android, Symbian and Windows smartphones. It works wonderfully well over wi-fi, and unlimited calling to the US or Canada is something like $2.99 a month. You can get a Skype phone number, so people can call you from a regular phone, for an additional $6/month. I've used it many times at my parents' place, they're in a very rural area and have next-to-no cell service.

If I were ever going to drop my landline, I'd use Skype at home all the time, even though I have good cell service. The voice quality is better, and the connection is rock-solid stable.

Yep, we have AT&T and only have the DSL line, it used to be for both, but cancelled the phone part of it.

Okay, stand corrected, I think. The biggest portion of my need for a landline is reliable communications, something cell phones aren't as good at.

Okay, stand corrected, I think. The biggest portion of my need for a landline is reliable communications, something cell phones aren't as good at.

I have never had a problem with my cell phone being unreliable - especially in my house.

We were going to get rid of it last year due to the umpteen solicitation phone calls a day. But we have a monitered alarm system, and the calls go through a land line. So we changed our number and got basic service, unlisted. Now we get calls, mostly from Google, for the business that had our new number over five years ago.

We keep our land line because we live in the middle of nowhere and our cell reception is very weak.
And as an aside, I get just as many solicitation calls on my cell as I do on my land line! Obviously the DNC Registry is a joke.

Mine did too-WAY way back when and the Internet was slow as molasses;)

Got rid of ours 2 years ago-thats $50 a month $600 a year savings:thumbsup2

High speed internet here:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter