• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Who has the money for Disney souvenirs?

ChattaAlley

DIS Veteran
Disney merchandise is so expensive. It seems every store in Disney that you go into the kids want something new even when you had bought them something at the last store. How do you go about buying souvenirs for your child? Do you budget money for that? Do you let them have anything they want since it is a vacation?

A friend of mine use to go to Disney ALOT as a child. Her mom was obsessed (still is). She was raising four girls alone. Her mom use to go the Disney store before a trip and possibly order online and buy merchandise there. It was more then likely clearance stuff or cheaper stuff (everything is cheaper in a store not on Disney property). She would take all that she bought and give them something each night. At that time they were none the wiser that the stuff was not bought that day in Disney. I found that to be VERY smart. She wanted her kids to be happy and to be able to give them something but know she didn't have enough money to pay for the stuff there.

We budget for souvenirs. Usually $100 each for the week. We rarely spend that. BUT we don't go in many stores, other than in the world showcase, and my kids don't usually ask for many things. The only things DD had to have last time were a balloon & a small stuffed Princess Minnie. DS only asked for some stuffed Star Wars guy, and a 2 sets of Star Wars Lego minifigs. We've never been big souvenir buyers, so my kids don't have that expectation.

We go to the Disney outlet during every trip (only about 10 minutes from DTD) and let the kids pick what they want. The prices are at least 50% off, but often much more. It is merchandise directly from WDW and is run by WDW with Disney CMs. I've found WDCC pieces there for myself for 1/2 off. The kids often will pick up dolls or plush, while we get tees, hats and sweatshirts. Our last trip in November most of our stuff was 75% off. I got my granddaughters tinkerbell baseball hats on our last trip for .99 as it was a special that day. They also carry, merchandise from the resorts and cruiselines.

My son has always gotten $80-$100 per trip to spend. When he spends it, it is gone. This is just for souvenirs; I buy him all his food. If he sees something he like early in the trip, he sometimes takes a picture of it and decides later. Some trips, he doesn't buy anything, and saves the money for home.

We give each child $20 for souvenirs. If they want something beyond that, they have to spend their own money. I also buy glow sticks before we leave so they can enjoy those in the evenings. It works well for us. My kids are really great about budgeting their money (though they grow into it -- when they were young they'd buy the first thing they'd see -- we'd talk to them about the consequences of that, but let them learn the lesson the hard way).

We actually don't buy my son souvenirs -- we've always told him the trip is his gift from us. He has an allowance from doing chores (shoveling snow, raking leaves, etc.). He gets to make the decisions regarding what to spend his money on, and we don't have to deal with whining or sulking. It makes for a relaxing trip. (Plus, now that he's a little older, he usually comes back with money still in his wallet.)

Now, we don't expect him to buy clothes or snacks -- if I see a cute sweatshirt for him, we cover that, and we're happy to keep him in popcorn and Mickey bars.

My kids to also get a budget, even now that they are teens. :goodvibes Actually now they don't really want much of the disney stuff, it's all so generic, same stuff, every store.

Anyway, we usually gave them ~75 bucks each to blow.

What is the name of the Disney outlet in Orlando? Is it at one of the outlet factory stores? Would love to stop by on our first day in a few weeks.

Ours usually have 40 or 50 to spend that we save in change before the trip. They decide how and when they spend it. They are very careful with their own money.

The Disney Outlet is called "Character Warehouse."

We go there some.

My kids have grown up going to Disney a lot so we rarely buy souvenirs now. My kids prefer to spend $$ on legos or DS games these days. We also snatch up any Disney items we find at yard sales or thrift stores. So far in the last couple of years we have found Disney park ponchos for .25, spray water bottle fan (WDW) for .50, a light chaser for $1, and several T-shirts and sweatshirts from the parks for $1 or $2.

Dawn

My daughter was older, but she had a set amount of money, and when it was gone, it was gone.

For younger kids who don't have a firm understanding of prices, you could tell them that they should look every day, but they can buy stuff at the end of their trip, once they've seen everything there is to offer. Or tell them they can have one stuffed animal, one teeshirt, and one something else. Or any number of things.

But I've never been one to buy my kid something just because she wanted it, at any age, on vacation or at home.

When my son was younger, he would have between 200-350 each trip. (money from my parents, his dad and stepmom, some of his savings and what I gave him for the trip). The total was divided by the number of days we were there. That is how much he took out of the room each morning. He was free to spend it as he wished.

We used to go crazy and let them buy whatever they wanted but now start them off with a 25$ gift card and let them save and add more to the card as they want.

When we took the kids back in the 80s, they each got $20 to buy souvies, and sometimes we'd also get them shirts or stuffed animals.

I fully intend to spoil my grandson when we take him, so my DD doesn't have to worry about budgeting for souvies for him.

We set a limit before we go and work that into the budget. Each kid gets-an autograph book, ears or hat, a t-shirt, a plush and a key chain or pin. If they want something else they can trade the price of a particular item for what they want. It's well understood that's it and we've never had an issue with them asking for more. We also remind them when they get allowance that we're going and that they may want to save. Our last trip eldest DD wanted a Vintage Disneyland, limited edition hoody badly. She gave up her t-shirt, pin money and paid for the balance herself (and bought Mama a classic Disneyland sign pin :goodvibes). As far as I know she's never regretted and wears it almost everyday. For us setting a limit and realistic expectations beforehand is key.

We are doing a budget trip in June & the kids will get some money in their Easter baskets. They will have that money & probably some from the g-parents to spend. I'm guessing about $50 per kid and that should be plenty. When they were little, they picked out one big souvie & a little thing or two and spent about the same.

my son got $75 from our disney visa rewards to use so he had to budget through the trip. He ended up with about $10 left on it and came home with Legos, a wooden rifle, and a few pins he wanted.

My DD wanted a set of the mini princesses for her castle at home-I think they were $10-15. I think they were both kind of overwhelmed with everything so they did not ask for much.

When we go shopping here we do not buy a lot just because, so my kids are not used to that and don't ask for that much so it makes it easier on us. We have a Disney outlet here not too far from us and I get t-shirts before we go, and then bring glow sticks, flashlights, etc. with us. We also have light up Buzz spinner things we got about 4 years ago and take those with us for the evenings/fireworks.

We had passes to Disneyland for r about 16 years, We almost never bought the kids souveniers. I do have each of the kids golden mickey ears from the 50th anniversary though. Now with Disneyland doing away with the 99 dollar southern california park pass we don't even have passes anymore. A day ticket is 100 bucks. I have 5 in my family and spending 500 bucks just to walk in the gate isn't happening. If I ever decide to spring for annual passes again which isn't likely I will be darned if they get one more cent from me.

When we went to Orlando last time we got very few things. I didn't get a thing for myself or DH and the kids got small trinkets for their friends. Souveniers just aren't imprtant to us and my kids don't expect them. Some of the souvenier budgets blow my mind and I am the first one to spend a fortune on frivolous things in day to day life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter