• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who has the best crowd calendar?

Most accurate crowd calendar

• touringplans

• dadsguide

• easywdw

• undercover tourist

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a Disboard lurker (stalker if you will) for years but never posted up to this point. Can I just say that I created an account for the sole purpose of posting/voting in favor of easywdw?

I just recently discovered easywdw (within the past year) and before that time was a huge fan of TP. I mean, I listened to podcast, read the blog, subscribe every year, bought a new book each trip: you name it, I did it.

After reading through this, I am disappointed in Len's responses, which come across as defensive and sometimes "cheap shots" in my opinion. Obviously, online typed responses lack the nonverbal cues a face-to-face conversation would provide, but from what I am reading from Len, it's unfortunate, because I want to like Touringplans still and these responses are offputting.

I was glad for both resources and calendars, but if I had to choose (and I did), easywdw would be my preference. :)

Let me know if these questions are irking anyone. :)

Len

Yup, they are.

As someone who could have been a potential customer, your comments in this thread have really turned me off. And that's just bad business.

Fortunately, I had already discovered Josh's site so I'm not too upset about it! :thumbsup2

When I took my first trip to the World in 2003, practically in the days before the internets (don't get all factual on me), the Unofficial Guide was invaluable. I can't imagine having gone without it. I think I purchased a new copy every year until '09.

Now with sites like Disboards and Allears, the value may not be the same, but I would still recommend it to anyone making a first trip.

But when it comes to fresh content and crowd predictions (not to mention just an incredibly entertaining website), easywdw is lightyears ahead. TP either doesn't update it's numbers frequently enough, OR will update to something DRASTICALLY different (how did my 4 just become a 8?) without giving any explanation whatsoever. At least when easywdw does an update, there is an EXPLANATION as to the change.

I let my TP subscription lapse long ago and never looked back. I did use the site once in the last year to print some custom plans for a coworker going for the first time and they were helpful. I visit Easywdw every day when drinking my morning coffee, AND scheduled all our park days for our next trip off his predictions. There just isn't any comparison.

I have only used easywdw and it worked amazingly well for us on our trip this past May. I have no desire to pay for crowd calendars, which is how I ended up on his site but boy am I glad I did.

We followed his advice on recommended and not recommended days but also used his site for all the extra bits of information, which I do admit take a bit of reading and research on his blog. Luckily I started research about 6 months out.

One day I wanted to meet Ariel, Tinkerbell and Rapunzel and I did manage to meet all 3 of them in about an hour, thanks to his detailed plan.

Also, when they started leaving the Land pavillion open during and after lluminations(oops, wrote Fantasmic here first) without advertising it, he immediately told us about it and I was able to ride Soarin as a walk on at 9pm and 9:20 pm.

We might stop by WDW next January for 2 days and again, I will definitley follow his advice.

Which site do you think is most accurate??

The OP is about the accuracy of crowd calendars. Measuring crowds is a "scientific" thing. (Okay, there's an art to some of it, but on the spectrum of art to science, it's vastly more science.)

My point here is that we shouldn't need to answer a "science" question with opinion, when we have enough information to answer it with data.
Len,
Two things:
1. One must assume that TP is your baby. You have a vested interest in its success.
2. Based on your quote above, as well as the OP, you failed to realize that the original question was asking for opinions.

While I appreciate any and all websites that share touring info for WDW, this thread really hasn't helped your cause. Your responses have come across as self-serving, condescending, and quite defensive. I know that online forums don't always come across in the manner which people originally intend them. Nothing beats a face-to-face civivilized discussion. :)

That said, Josh makes me laugh. While I don't have much need for a touring plan guide on-line, I'll continue to read Josh's blogs. After this thread, I would recommend his site to others. I can't really say the same now for TP.

I'm planning our first trip to WDW so I can't really speak to the accurateness of either site. But as someone planning a first trip, I love easywdw for planning purposes for 2 reasons:

1. It's free.
2. The photo blog format helps get me oriented to the parks and understand the layout a little better, read over some menu boards, understand the transportation system, etc. And my kids love sitting next to me while I scroll through his updates looking for pictures of their favorite characters. :crowded:

I will be happy to play the contrarian and praise Touring Plans and the Unofficial Guide, I can't begin the recount the money and time I've saved from their tips.

I have used TouringPlans for my last 2 trips and haven't gone wrong yet. This is the first time I'd seen anything about EasyWDW. The funny thing is on the days I'm going to have my family at the parks (8/18-8/24), a couple of them have the exact opposite recommendations on TP vs. Easy WDW.

I know TP had usually recommended avoiding EMH in the past but I've noticed on the app for current crowds as well as our travel dates that the recommended park from TP sometimes matches EMH days. Len, did that earlier philosophy change or are there other data points that are going into that?

Get both TP and Josh's. Don't be cheap--go ahead and pay for TP (you're going to spend way more than that on this trip, right?). Compare the crowd calendars. Where they disagree, read Josh's explanation and apply some common sense to make a determination of what is best for you.

I love Josh's blog and check it almost daily just for a fun, quick Disney fix. I agree it is not well-organized and someone planning their first trip would have problems sorting through all that info. But the write-ups for each day are easy enough to find and are worth reading.

I really think people are going overboard giving Len a hard time.

Why are you all so sensitive? All the guy basically said was he liked his data and verifiable results.

TP is a woderful site full of Disney lovers and great information.

Give it a rest, it doesn't need to be either or.

Like the PP, I also didn't get the impression that Len was being overly defensive - I think it's often hard to tell what a person's intended tone is when reading an online post.

:sunny:

Love Touring Plans and the lines app. And I've been addicted to easywdw since discovering it last year. I have nothing bad to say about either, and I'll be using both on my trip in 2 days! The more information the better, I say. And I think I have a good enough feel for the parks that I can use my own judgment with info from both. An additional wrinkle, I just downloaded the new My Disney Experience app for both my iPhone and iPad. I'll rely on that for FastPass, character info. I may just be on information overload, but we'll see how it goes.

I really think people are going overboard giving Len a hard time.

Why are you all so sensitive? All the guy basically said was he liked his data and verifiable results.

TP is a woderful site full of Disney lovers and great information.

Give it a rest, it doesn't need to be either or.

:thumbsup2

We used TP on our last visit and felt like the crowd predictions were spot on, and the actual touring plans proved very useful. We'll be there in a week and are looking forward to using the lines app as well. Having just discovered easywdw, it looks to be yet another great resource for WDW. I agree that combining info from various sources is the way to go. :)

Love EasyWDW. Love TP as well. Considering EasyWDW is FREE and TP is <$12, you won't find any greater bargains on your trip to WDW -- except maybe the JetBlue headphones sold on the honor system ;-)

FYI, for those who are turned off by the EasyWDW site design (i.e., blog style), Josh mentioned in a post recently that a redesign is coming.

I subscribe to TP but use both sites to plan our upcoming trip. Love Josh's blog updates and especially the photos. I could listen to Len on any podcast all day. Seems like a great guy and would be great to have a drink with (La Cava, Len?)

However, what irks me is the "Josh". What's up with putting Josh in quotes? Doesn't sit well with me.

I do hope easywdw gets a rehaul bc it's hard to navigate.

For anyone planning a trip, subscribe to TP and keep up with easywdw. You'll learn enough to make your own calls when they differ.

I have been planning my October vacation for months. I originally had my itinerary planned using Touring Plans. A few weeks later I stumbled upon EasyWDW and have been hooked since. I changed my whole plan around Josh's recommendations and I love hearing all the reasons behind the recommendations he gives. I have since hooked my mom on his blog (she is comming with us to WDW this fall) and the helpful info in the boards! Keep up the great work Josh!

You can't go wrong with easywdw.com. Josh offers free, easy to understand opinions and backs up with crowd numbers with actual crowd photos. My only experience with touring plans was a book I got from the library with some tour plans in it and then a reference to a website that had to be subscribed to in order to use.

I think if you are a "planner" by nature then easywdw. com is great resource to draw opinions and ideas from to make you own plan. If you don't want to think at all, and have everything laid out for you in order, then maybe use TP.

Personally, I love Josh's blog and humor and will always use easywdw.

I have to concur with the PPs who have said to use both TP and easyWDW. I have used TP for a couple of years, and I love the Unofficial Guide. If I were giving an easily digestible "one-stop" suggestion to a newbie, I'd say the Unofficial Guide. Further, I love the humor in it and have really enjoyed the various podcasts with which Len is affiliated. For whatever reason, he came across on this thread with a much different tone that I've seen/heard in the past, but don't let that sour you on Len or on TP. He's a funny guy, and it's a good product.

On the other hand, Josh does a great job with easyWDW, and I'm looking forward to using some of his suggestions on my upcoming trip. He has a great sense of humor, too, and I really love his excursions/reports - I get happy every time I see one posted!

Ultimately, on my upcoming trip I'm combining the power of both sites - Lines, personalized touring plans, TP's crowd calendar, Josh's crowd calendar & recommendations, and Josh's strategies. Throw in the new My Disney Experience app, and I've got plenty of info at my disposal to make decisions. And all of that for less than $10 (since TP discounts are pretty easy to find).

One doesn't have to be the "best" - be smart and use them all to your advantage! :thumbsup2

ETA: I also suspect that both Len and Josh would agree that, regardless of the number on the crowd calendar, having a good touring plan/strategy is more important. As evidenced by some of the comments in this thread, no matter how busy the day is by whatever scale you're using, you can still get all the headliner attractions done with minimal wait time, if you have a solid plan of attack.

While planning our first trip this fall I have used both TP and easywdw. Both were incredibly helpful in their own ways, even if the crowd calendars differed at times. As someone who is trying to figure all this out for the first time, TP was great for getting the information, and easywdw was great for helping it to make sense on a personal level. The information from TP combined with the very realistic and humorous posts from Josh make me feel like I may have a clue what I am doing:).

Thanks so much to both Len and Josh for not only offering their sites, but also for taking the time to actually read and post their thoughts on this forum. Few people are willing to open themselves up for such potential critcisms. For me personally, it's not about "which site has better... ", it's about "How would I have planned this if either of them were missing!!".

Does Easy WDW have any touring plans for each park? I looked on his site and did not see anything.

Thanks

I think Len is jealous of the number of marriage proposals Josh receives on a weekly basis, that and Josh has a full head of hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter