Who has the best chocolate malt?

LJSquishy

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for the absolute best chocolate malt in Disney World/DTD! With real ice cream, of course! Also, I'm hearing things about some sort of liquid malt vs old fashioned powdered malt...it has to be the real, original malt powder type. I didn't know liquid malt existed and maybe that's why so many malts nowadays are terrible.

I've been wondering about the malts at The Fountain (Dolphin) and Beaches and Cream.

We stayed at the Dolphin back in 1998 and i'm sure we went to the Fountain almost every day for some ice cream or a shake! I know they had great malts back then, but that was quite a while ago.

From our visit last year, it looked like The Fountain had changed quite a bit - it appeared to be more upscale. In 98, it was more like a 50s ice cream parlor. I have no idea if that changed the snacks served since we did not try any.

Haven't had a lot of ice cream treats at WDW, but Ghirardelli was pretty awesome. You might have to try several and judge for yourself:earsboy:

I guess I'll have to incorporate both Ghirardelli & Beaches into our plans somehow! I wonder if Sci-Fi has a good malt -- we may be eating there.

The malt lover is actually my dad. He's always looking for a good, old-fashioned malt and always is let down to where he questions if they even added malt to his shake at all. He and my mom will be joining us in DW this time and I want to cater to their wants & needs since we went on our own in Feb 2012. If he has the opportunity to have a real chocolate malt, he will be over the moon!

I was also going to suggest Beaches and Cream, really cool throwback atmosphere there, good luck on your malt quest!

I love shakes. Converted my 4 y.o. to asking for them too.

1.) Folks rave about the shakes at 50's Prime Time, I recall Malt being optional. I ***-u-me that like all other Disney-run places, Edy's is being used.

2.) The Fountain ice cream is hand-made at a local source in FL and I also recall Malt being available. I enjoy shakes here regularly.

3.) But Ghiradelli makes a truly decadent shake. Their chocolate ice cream choices range from just chocolate to oh-my-goodness chocolatey.

As to your desire for Malt - I'm at a loss on that one.

Ironically, one of my best friends is also a Malt fanatic, but we have never traveled to Disney together (he prefers skiing).

Ghirardelli is amazing overall and this is where I would expect you to get the best quality malt (if possible).

Sci Fi and 50s Prime Time Cafe have amazing milkshakes and are favorites of ours but I am not sure about the malt. The PB&J milkshake at 50s PT is amazing though!

We have never done Beaches and Cream (they don't take reservations), but hope to this upcoming trip as we have heard good things!

Edited: didn't realized the fountain was at the swan. The location I was thinking of is in Epcot that was an ice cream place and is now a Starbucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter