• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who has stopped sending out Christmas cards?

windycitymom

DIS Veteran
After many, many years of sending out photo cards, I'm trying to decide if I will send out cards this year or just skip it. Your thoughts?

Do you tell people that you aren't sending out cards? or just let it happen? I assume if you don't send out cards, then you probably get dropped from other people's lists.

I don't want to appear like a scrooge, but most people just open the card and stick it in a basket or some other obscure place, so why go to all of the trouble of getting cards printed and spending on stamps, just to have them tucked and tossed away? I'm thinking of sending a "free" email card instead. It lets the person know you haven't forgotten about them and it's very budget friendly.

I've noticed a decrease in cards over the last couple of years and an increase in virtual cards and even text messages. I think sending virtual cards is a great idea.

I, myself am not sending out any cards this year. Trying to save a little money as well as time. Usually when I send cards I like to write a personal note for each person and it gets time consuming(plus I have horrible handwriting:rotfl:). For some reason, I've never been able to just sign a card and send and not that I think anything is wrong with that I just like to get more personal. I will probally send e-mails since that is quicker and cost effective.

Don't worry if you don't feel like sending cards, virtual cards are just as good.

Merry Christmas!!!! :goodvibes

Without the kids I won't sent any. DH's family insisted on it when we got married so I did. Then with the kids we send the photo cards so people get to watch them grow... they like that. I used to write on each one, even if I didn't really know them. I've cut down a lot since I sent out over 50 and would get maybe 20 myself, many with nothing more than a signature. So I cut out people I don't really know or care about (DH's way out family) and I just put the card in the envelope, no extra writing. As soon as the boys are out of the house I'll stop completely other than very close friends. I plan to just stop. Have many years to go though!

I have stopped sending them. I like to get them from people I rarely see so I can see their kids. But, it seems pointless to send them to people I see on a daily basis. Also, if it's just a signed card with no picture and no note it also seems like a waste. If you are trying to save money and cut back, sending card should be one of the first things that goes. IMHO.

This year I'm sending out the normal amount of cards.

Next year, I'll only be sending cards to those who send cards to us.

I do ecards for 98% of them, but send paper cards to my grandmother. Mostly because she doesn't have a computer. I like the fact that it saves me money, stamps, time and there's less trash from the whole process.

I have stopped sending them. I like to get them from people I rarely see so I can see their kids, But, it seems pointless to send them to people I see on a daily basis. Also, if it's just a signed card with no picture and no note it also seems like a waste. If you are trying to save money and cut back, sending card should be one of the first things that goes. IMHO.

Yeah, lately ITA, it seems silly to send to people we see nearly everyday when we say Merry Christmas in person.
Might still send to out-of-towners but FACEBOOK keeps us in touch them too.
(in fact, I just read where traditional card sales are down, likely due to FACEBOOK)

I love sending and receiving Christmas cards. There have been years where I didn't send them due to money. This year I sent out photo insert cards that I bought last year at 75% off with photos I got for shipping only from shutterfly. I am sending out about 100 so I am paying $44 for postage. When I put away our Christmas items I put all of that year's cards in a ziploc bag and put them in one of the Christmas bins.

I bought a subscription to Hallmark's online cards back in July. It is about $10, I had a coupon, so I paid $9 for the year.

I have never sent out more cards, they are just all e-cards.

I have sent cards for every goofy holiday--4th July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc and everyone really likes them. Plus I haven't missed a Birthday, or Anniversary.

The only paper cards I buy are for events we attend, parties or for the really old folks (in my family we have a lot of 80 & 90 year olds).

I got the idea from a friend who sends out e-Christmas cards with some fancy cat drawings (can't remember the name). So this year, if you are under 80, and on my holiday list, you are getting an e-card; over 80 your getting a leftover card from a previous year. I figure I have a couple of years before I have to buy a card.

If anyone would like to be added to my holiday card list--feel free to send me a PM and I can send one to you too! They only take a minute to set up and some are super cute. I am pretty much a fan of anything involving the Peanuts and the Peanuts music for cards, but there are tons of others. I think at Thanksgiving I sent out 6 different cards.

I definitely got my $9 worth, and if I forget something until the last minute the card can still arrive on time. Also you can preload the cards to be delivered on a certain date. So I have already started my Christmas cards, I just have them all set to be delivered on the 20th.

I hope this trend grows. I love nice card stock, but I always felt bad recycling all the cards we got every year, after a quick read. This way I can look at them, keep a few, and electronically trash all the rest.

I'm only sending cards to people who sent to us last year. So it'll be mostly my side of the family. I sent out a bunch of photo cards last year because of our baby, but got very few back from his side of the family so they are getting cut.

Might still send to out-of-towners but FACEBOOK keeps us in touch them too.
(in fact, I just read where traditional card sales are down, likely due to FACEBOOK)

Facebook is the reason that I've decided to skip cards this year.

I've always sent photo cards- of the kids when they were little and then the last few years it's usually been a vacation photo from somewhere great.

As I was trying to choose a photo this year, I realized that my difficulty choosing was due to the fact that even those far away friends and family feel close with FB. They've all already seen and commented on my favorite photos of the year. Heck in addition to the four of us having our own FB pages, my extended family has a private family page. We're more in touch then we've been in years.

The time and money saved is a bonus but FB is the reason.

Count us in on the no-send card list! :thumbsup2 We usually send out 70+ photo cards each year. This year we decided to stop it all together. No real reason, except that communication via the internet keeps most everyone up to date. And Christmas wishes can be sent that way also. We'll see how many comments we have about the no-card thing...:rolleyes1

Oh and by the way...Merry Christmas to All!!! (See the internet is fast and friendly and reaches a whole bunch of people!) :goodvibes

princess: Crystal

I will still be sending out regular Christmas cards. I love to send and receive them.

I do "see" some extended family more now with Facebook, but not everyone is on Facebook. Plus, some that are do not post much.

To me it wouldn't be Christmas time if I didn't send out cards.

Personally I do not open up eCards. There is such a risk of viruses from opening up attachments like that.

Maggie

The only reason I am sending out Xmas cards this year is because there was a Groupon for photo cards from Kodak. I have never been one of those types who send cards for all occassions like my aunt does lol.

It's funny...my closest group of friends are all around 45 years old and are spread out all over the country and a few expats elsewhere. We are on Facebook all the time and are as close as ever. None of us have ever sent out cards. Last year one of our friends decided to send out holiday cards for the first time and it was great, because we were all delighted to get that card in the mail. So this year, I've already received two and I'm addressing mine today. We actually did a private message on FB and everyone who wanted to do this listed their addresses. Will we do this every year? Who knows? Long messages are not necessary, but it's just fun getting it! I guess I should add that everyone is sending out cards that represent them in some way, not just a generic card. One friend is making her cards, another is doing the family photo but not a "posed" shot. Mine are bought cards with the beach, santa hat and Merry Christmas written in the sand. I just received a card that had me cracking up in the front yard.My friend and her husband went to Rock City and had the "tourist shot" taken. They are dressed perfectly normal, but the faces they made at the camera are hysterical! So we're having fun with it this year!

I've always sent out cards, but maybe not anymore?? I've noticed a decrease every year for the past 3 years. The year before last we got about half as many cards as usual, and last year we got like only 3 cards. After spending money on the cards, stamps, and photos, I am feeling a bit miffed that people are no longer sending cards to us, so why should I bother?

I know that's a grinchy kind-of feeling to have. So I think I'll just do the virtual cards for those that I have email addresses for. I think with facebook and things like that, people don't feel the need to send cards anymore.

We only send Christmas cards to people we receive cards from. However, we do send them to people we know can't send them, like our elderly aunts, or friends we know can't afford to send them.

I still send to close friends and family but total number is about half of what I used to send out. If we don't get one from someone for a couple of years, we don't send one anymore. And we don't give to our neighborhood.

We send way less than we use to. Many were dropped because they never sent one back, excluding an older person in this. We have added others to our list but far less than we dropped.

We decorate with our cards.

I send out regular cards and write something nice in each, though the past two years have been busy and I haven't been able to. I'm doing it this year.

I have sent out photo cards two times and then stopped. I get photo cards from people every year, but what am I supposed to do with them? I'm not putting them up in a frame becuase I'm not close to them. I just have pictures of my family up.

I like sending holiday wishes to people, but I know if I send a picture, it's pretty much ending up in the trash unless it's for my mom or siblings, so why do people send out picture cards to strangers? I don't get it? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter