• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who has made school bread?

llori7

DIS Veteran
I just tried the school bread last week and fell in love with it!! I found the recipe online. Just wondered who has made it before? Do you have any tips? It says 3 1/2 ounces of sugar, do you have to weigh the sugar on a food scale or is that equivalent to a cup or something?? Any tips will be great!!

Thanks in advance!!

I just tried the school bread last week and fell in love with it!! I found the recipe online. Just wondered who has made it before? Do you have any tips? It says 3 1/2 ounces of sugar, do you have to weigh the sugar on a food scale or is that equivalent to a cup or something?? Any tips will be great!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like a European recipe....they use metric and it typically is "translated" into American weights by using ounces not cups.

4 ounces equals 1/2 cup....so slightly less than 1/2 cup if you don't have a scale.

So, let us know how it turns out, and if it's good could you share the receipe!

What is school bread?? and where do you get it??

It is from Norway. It is a must. It is bread with a cinnamon taste that is filled with custard, and then topped with icing and coconut!! Try looking for it on the snack threads. I am sure there are pictures. I tried it from recommendations on this board and fell in love with it!!

When I made it, I used Jell-O instant vanilla pudding for the filling. The overall result was delicious!

When I made it, I used Jell-O instant vanilla pudding for the filling. The overall result was delicious!

Thats an idea. Did you find cardamom?? I can't find it, so I was going to use cinnamon instead.

Cardamom & cinnamon really taste different. Ask your grocery store to order it or you can order it online. I am not sure where you live but if you have a whole foods or trader joes they would carry it.

Cardamom & cinnamon really taste different. Ask your grocery store to order it or you can order it online. I am not sure where you live but if you have a whole foods or trader joes they would carry it.

I am in NE Ohio. Maybe I will try another grocery store today and see if they have it.

What is school bread?? and where do you get it??
it's sooo good you can't even believe it! i had 2 last trip and didn't share at all with dh! norway has a great bakery but i can't get beyound the school bread to try anything else.

Thanks in advance!!

Most bakers weigh their ingredients because it's more accurate. Dry ingredients can weigh diferently from day to day depending on weather conditions. Size of the granules also matter. A cup of superfine sugar weighs more than a cup of coarse sugar.

Generally, about 8 oz of sugar equals 1 cup. 4.25 oz of flour equals 1 cup.

YAY!!! I FOUND CARDAMOM!!! I went to a health food store and they had it. Now off to make my school bread.

Would you pm me the recipe???? I'd love to try it... we have a nat. food store here in town, they carry cardamom in bulk!!!! mmmmm! (thanks!)

Would you pm me the recipe???? I'd love to try it... we have a nat. food store here in town, they carry cardamom in bulk!!!! mmmmm! (thanks!)

i can't pm you. i used this recipe.

http://melissa-burnindownthehouse.blogspot.com/2007/03/school-bread-i-ii-and-iii.html

then my husband found this site. which seems good also!!

http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/pastryrecipes/r/schoolbread.htm

my dough is rising for the second time. i am so anxious to see how it turns out!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter