Who Else Not Impressed with Candlelight Processional?

We went last year and had Kirk Cameron. He was wonderful. My sister had gone earlier in the week and had someone else (can't remember who) but she also heard Kirk. She said there was a huge difference between the narrators and you could tell Kirk was a Christian and the other person seemed to be there just reading a script.

I've only been once and Kirk Cameron was the narrator (the reason I HAD to go, lol) and he was a big part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. I am a Christian, and you could tell he was reading with conviction and believed every word he read. He did a great job and made the show really enjoyable! I've heard from others that the narrator can make a big difference.

I don't know how the WDW version is going to be but I saw the version at DL and it was AMAZING! The reason I was so stressed about getting the dinning package was that at DL if you don't get a seat you have to STAND! There is no seating unless you PAY for a seat and I didn't want to have to do that this time. So we wanted to make sure we got a seat this time. We are specifically coming to experience Christmas at DW and want to see all that they have to offer. We saw the icicle lights at the castle at DL and can't wait to see DW's version and we bought tickets to MVMCP. We want to see the santa's and the resorts all decked out etc. And since we enjoyed DL's version so much of CP we wanted to see DW's version. From the pics I have seen it doesn't look the same and so I am not sure if I will like it or not. But I want to at least try it.

I guess it will remain to be seen if I will like it or not till after I see it.

To me just being able to experience all of the Christmas stuff will be worth it.

I am just glad we are staying when we are to be able to even see the Osborne Lights.

Ironically back 3 years ago when we planned this trip this was the MAIN reason we wanted to come. We went the first week of Nov and they were putting them up and we JUST missed them. We originally planned to come the following week for THIS trip and someone suggested we come a week later JUST to make sure the lights would be up which would have been the week BEFORE THanksgiving. Then we decided to move it to Thanksgiving week because my kids get that week off school. I am SO glad I did otherwise we would NOT have gotten to see them! Ironic eh?

But as far as CP I guess it just remains to be seen.

If it is ANYTHING like DL's version I KNOW I will love it! :)

I'm wondering, for all the people who felt it didn't live up to its hype, what you thought it would be like.

What were you expecting that you didn't get?

And for everyone who hasn't seen it yet, it is just the reading of the story of Christmas interspersed with singing of traditional Christmas songs by a small choir and a little music. That's it!

What Christmas story does the CP use? Are we talking "not a creature was stiring not even a mouse"....or "the little lord Jesus lay down his sweet head".

I would attend either as I'm Catholic, but I am wondering for future reference. For me- it would be nice if it was the Christian story b/c everything about Christmas seems very commercialized these days. (nothing wrong with everyone celebrating whatever version of the holiday they prefer, for us, we prefer both the santa/secular and the christian viewpoint)
They actually start with the birth of Christ and end with his cruxifiction....the Hallalujah Chorus.

Celebrating the birth of Christ is not the original "reason for the season." Orginally, December 25 was the pagan celebration of the winter solstice. When Christianity took over Europe, it was changed to the celebration of the birth of Christ so that the holiday could continue but be Christian and not Pagan.

Now, it may be your reason for celebrating (as it is mine as well), but it is certainly not how the holiday came to be.

Well, it kinda is the 'reason for the season'....yes, the winter solstice is celebrated on 12/21..and the birth of Christ was added to this time of year pretty much as a convenience. But....the whole idea of gift giving (from the Wise Men) and the name 'Christ'mas..is pretty much based on the birth of Christ. Same thing with Easter...was really a pagan celebration, but the whole 'rebirth' thing got stuck together.

We love the CP. I figure I have to eat anyway, so buy the dining package for CP. Yes, I stand in line for awhile. But I know I'm going to get a decent seat rather than wait in a line for 90 mins and maybe not get a seat..depends on the day, performance time and the narrator that night.
Should everyone pay to do it? No. I usually grab a bite to eat and sit and listen from the outside eating area across the walk from the theater. That way I get to see/hear a different narrator than I paid to see/hear.

Is it the same every year? Yep. But, no more so that BTMRR or Soarin'.....I do all the same attractions each trip, I tend to eat in the same restaurants each time...going to CP once a year is a 'must do' for me. It is the way I start my Christmas season. Really gets me in the mood to get home and hit the floor running at church!!!

I've never been crazy about it. I can't sit still that long. I'd rather be playing in the parks. However, I think some just want a nice evening and lunch/dinner then the performance is a great way to celebrate the holidays. I figure it's like going to the theatre after lunch/dinner. However, I find it a little boring so we pass it by.

We LOVED loved loved it. Gary Sinise was great and being there on Christmas Eve was beautiful. If we ever go back at Christmastime again CP will be on the top of our list of things to do.

I absolutely LOVE the CP, but to each their own, certainly. I do agree that the speaker would probably make a big difference in quality. The last time I saw it, it was John O'Hurley, and we thought he was absolutely wonderful!:cool1:

I absolutely LOVE the CP, but to each their own, certainly. I do agree that the speaker would probably make a big difference in quality. The last time I saw it, it was John O'Hurley, and we thought he was absolutely wonderful!:cool1:

I'm really glad to hear that because we're going to make a special trip just to see him this year! I love John O'Hurley SO much, he's one of my favorite actors so I'm glad to see really good reviews about the way he narrates. :thumbsup2

I love the CP! I get goosebumps I get when I hear the Herald Trumpets. The frst year I hear it I decided that I would do my best to go back every December. It really put me in the holiday spirit.

I love live music so that has a lot to do with it.

I love the CP! I get goosebumps I get when I hear the Herald Trumpets. The frst year I hear it I decided that I would do my best to go back every December. It really put me in the holiday spirit.

I love live music so that has a lot to do with it.

Ok. I know this will sound weird to some, I totally get that. But not only do I get goosebumps, usually at the end, I am crying.

I know everyone doesn't like it, that's ok with me. You don't have to like it. But for me, it sums up what Christmas is. Whatever it has turned into, it didn't start that way. It was simple. I don't care if it's not the actual day that Christ was born, it's that we celebrate it and honor it that's important.

And that I can celebrate Christ's birth and be at WDW, the place I love, just makes it that much more magical.

ps. I thought the "small" choir was around 300-400? I know it's a 50 piece orchestra.

I originally had a ressie to see CP with Marilee Matlin and then changed to someone else because I felt it was weird to have a Christian story told by a person of the Jewish faith. I don't have anything against Jewish people, please understand. It would just be odd like when Barry Manilow or Barbara Striesand sing Christmas albums. JMO

Ok. I know this will sound weird to some, I totally get that. But not only do I get goosebumps, usually at the end, I am crying.
Doesn't sound weird to me. I cried and got the goosebumps too. My kids just looked at me and laughed :laughing: because they told their dad 'Mom would be crying by the end of this'... LOL

But I understand not everyone will love it or felt it was just ok or was not what it was all hyped up to be. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel like OP.

Doesn't sound weird to me. I cried and got the goosebumps too. My kids just looked at me and laughed :laughing: because they told their dad 'Mom would be crying by the end of this'... LOL

But I understand not everyone will love it or felt it was just ok or was not what it was all hyped up to be. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel like OP.

Yaaay! I'm not the only one! My kids do that too! but sometimes it's DH crying too, depends on what it is.

I saw one of the narrators is Edward James Olmos. I would be thinking of Cylons the whole time if I went. :rotfl:

I'm wondering, for all the people who felt it didn't live up to its hype, what you thought it would be like.
What were you expecting that you didn't get?

Actually, it's more than a little music - it's a lot of music, and the music is so wonderful that I bought the CD!!

What really disappointed us about the CP the second time around was Jim Caviezel. At several "key points", he said -- "As I said in the Passion of the Christ" and then said the phrase in Aramaic and then in English. And then, it felt as though he took the 'One Short Life' poem and made it the dramatic reading equivalent of a Verdi aria instead of a simple Schubert song. (Sorry for the musical references, but I am a trained singer and that's what it felt like.) Gary Sinese, who we had heard the first year and who was originally supposed to be the narrator, spoke simply but with conviction. You felt that he was just part of the overall, not a "star" like Caviezel seemed to be.

This year, our choices are Abigail Breslin and Steven Curtis Chapman. DD is not an Abigail Breslin fan (wrong age group) and none of us really know SCC other than by hearsay. We do have Le Cellier ressies for Christmas Eve at a time that will allow us to hear the music - we usually try to watch Illuminations from near Japan.

We love the CP, but we have seen it the last two years and we think it is a great experience and everyone should enjoy it once. But we decided to skip this year, so it doesn't get repetitive to us.

I saw one of the narrators is Edward James Olmos. I would be thinking of Cylons the whole time if I went. :rotfl:

I was SO excited that we had him last year...I just love him.
We sat near the front...he was just wonderful...but at the end , after he said goodnight, a bunch of us in the front yelled ," So say we all"..! He laughed...most everyone was leaving, so I don't think most people heard us, but it was fun!

I have done CP twice and have loved it each time. I am again going to see it this trip and I am looking forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter