Who else is job hunting right now?

Just came across this thread and as of yesterday looks like I'm joining you guys :sad1:

I was working as an office manager/admin at a church and I had a part-time flexible schedule due which worked great since my DH is a pilot and is gone a lot so with having to take my two small ones to daycare and preschool and if one got sick I was able to come and go as needed without worry.

Well yesterday they said that since the church was growing, they needed someone there full time (including Sunday's to do work, which I can't do since with two kids, who can find daycare on a Sunday :confused3:). I could make M-F full time work, I have childcare throughout the week, but Sunday wouldn't have worked, so we decided that I would "give my two weeks" and start looking.

It really stinks since it was such a great set-up and I know I won't ever find that again, but I guess employers have the upper hand these days and there was really nothing I could do. Perhaps they didn't like my flex schedule anymore and didn't want to admit it to me (since that was the agreement we had when I started working there over 2 years ago) and felt bad asking me to give it up, who knows.

PW, don't fret. Everything happens for a reason, so I'm sure there is something better out there for you than your current job.

For me, it was getting away from the abusive boss I had at the bank. When I found my next consulting job, it was only a contract position and the last day of work was the day my MIL found out she needed brain surgery and I was able to help her out until she was back on her feet. She's doing well now, so it's time for me to be able to find something.

I'm sure that there are reasons for your situation that you may or may not ever find out.

My interview went very well today. I was the first person interviewed, so I won't know for about 2-3 weeks whether I am the final candidate or not. The salary is not all that, but the benefits are unbelievable. Well worth the lower salary... plus 3 weeks vacation in the first year with Christmas week added to that. Vacation increases over the next few years to 25-days off. That doesn't include Christmas week or sick, personal, or inclement weather days. Who knows to where I can advance if I get hired? Most vacancies are filled by current employees. Oh, and aside from the normal holidays, they get the Feast of the Immaculate Conception off.

I'll be out of my mind until I hear from them. I. want. this. job!

I took a bit of a break from looking for a job (other matters just took precedence...and I went through a major funk which I am just now sort of coming out of) and this thread.

Good luck to all in 2010....may we all be employed shortly!!

PilotWife-I was also an office manager of a church in my previous life...they weren't thrilled that I wouldn't worship there on Sunday.....depending on how big the church is/was it can be tough. I made it clear from the beginning that Sunday was my worship time. My mother had the job before me....and she did worship there...it ended up being a time of work for her....AFTER putting in a full 40 hours...not cool. I have found that with churches that the admin. position is the first to be tweaked when budgets are in flux....which of course makes no sense to those who truly see how much we do. (Though right now I would work on Sundays if it meant I had a job)

Thanks! I know there is some reason this happened. Just waiting to find it :lmao: If I could make Sundays work until I found something else I would, but like I said I don't have childcare for Sundays so there was no way that would have happened. :sad1: The run three services that go until 1:30 and and they don't even close up until almost 2 and my kids are so small (only 2 and 3) which would mean even if I took them with me to all three services it would be 8am -2pm there and that's just too much for them without a nap (which they take at noon every day), that would have been a hot mess :eek:

I sort of felt like they were asking me to choose between me and my children, and I had to choose my kids, obviously.

Thankfully with my DH's job he can pick up some more hours flying and with some cutting back on some things and good budgeting we will be ok until I get another job (hey, it's not like I was brining home the big bucks for work a church...LOL). I think I was more in shock about the suddenness of it all. And yes, admins do SO much more then people realize, we always have, LOL.

Good luck to everyone job hunting and those who have had recent interviews, I hope we all have some good news to share soon!

A step back for me...the temp job I start on Monday; well, I called my liaison with the Dept. of Labor to ask if I can go back on unemployment if the job ends and I don't have a replacement.

No :scared1:

Not to mention that after visiting their "paperwork" agency yesterday, I'm really unhappy...seems that I am contracted with them and I did NOT want to do that.

I'm still taking the job...just really praying that I can prove myself and they will keep me! Either that, or I hope I can find something very quickly afterward. Trying to stay positive that something will work out...

Good luck to everyone looking for work! I've been looking for about a month now and had an interview today. Really hoping I get this job.

I will say I'm seeing more job postings after the new year, at least on company websites. One company I follow daily to see what new jobs are posted has gone from less than 50 openings when things were REALLY tanking in the finance industry (my sector) to over 250 openings now. That's a great improvement in a year! So may that be a sign of encouragement for everyone looking. Finance was one of the first industries to fall, and fall hard. It's also one of the first to recover both in job creation and stock prices. Maybe the rest of the industries will follow suit shortly.

Good luck everyone!

Ok, so I have a job hunting question for everyone. It's been well over 6 years since I've interviewed for a job and well, with that job I was actually recruited for by a former employer who changed law firms and wanted me to go with her so the interview was just a formality.

So, I know that with the way the economy is that a lot of people are sending resumes in for jobs and that perhaps for one jobs dozens if not hundreds of resumes are being sent in and things can happen with all the resumes that they are receiving. So is it ok or is it frowned upon to call the company a few days to a week later to confirm receipt of my resume.

I don't want to hound them about it and have that hurt my chances of getting called in for an interview, but what if it got lost in the shuffle of all the other resumes coming in? What if calling them actually makes them take a look at it a little more and shows them I'm actually interested in taking the time to call and make sure it was received? I'm just trying to figure out what to do since it's been so long since I've had to deal with this.

Thanks!

Ok, so I have a job hunting question for everyone. It's been well over 6 years since I've interviewed for a job and well, with that job I was actually recruited for by a former employer who changed law firms and wanted me to go with her so the interview was just a formality.

So, I know that with the way the economy is that a lot of people are sending resumes in for jobs and that perhaps for one jobs dozens if not hundreds of resumes are being sent in and things can happen with all the resumes that they are receiving. So is it ok or is it frowned upon to call the company a few days to a week later to confirm receipt of my resume.

I don't want to hound them about it and have that hurt my chances of getting called in for an interview, but what if it got lost in the shuffle of all the other resumes coming in? What if calling them actually makes them take a look at it a little more and shows them I'm actually interested in taking the time to call and make sure it was received? I'm just trying to figure out what to do since it's been so long since I've had to deal with this.

Thanks!

I don't think it hurts at all. For one, it shows your persistence and interest in the job. Two, the person taking your call is probably not the same person who'll make the job decision, so even if you annoy that person, it's not the same. And third, if your position is remotely close to sales, they may expect to hear from a candidate a few times before moving them forward in the selection process (since it relates to how you'd perform in sales).

Finally, my resume DID get lost in the shuffle and despite having a VP endorse me once we realized it was lost, it was too late as an offer was already extended to someone else.

Call! And while you have the person on the phone, might as well ask what the time frame to hear back and to fill the position is...:thumbsup2

Thanks! That's exactly my thought process! With all the resumes coming in, who knows if one (or more) will get lost. And I would like to know the time frame for them in making a decision in closing their application/interview process so I'm not waiting for a phone call.

Maybe we can form a little support group!

I have my teaching degree, but there are no jobs within 100 miles of me except for subbing (which I strongly dislike and the pay is low with no benefits or stability, plus the schools around here are notorious for not hiring their subs!). So I've begun to look for different jobs in earnest.

Wow, it's a jungle out there! Our paper only has about 2 columns of jobs in the classified, and it's usually for servers, cooks, drivers, etc. Then there are health care jobs a plenty, but I have no interest in working in that field. Most of the women in my family worked in health care and I just had to be the outcast. :laughing:

I've got some applications put in a few different areas, but there are no bites yet. How are the rest of you doing? I'm just going to keep plugging along with the subbing for now. At least I love being around the kids!

I feel for you too! And what a great idea to start a support group! My DH is coming out of a really crappy business deal, and I'm a SAHM. I might have to go back to work to save us from this situation. We can't find any decent jobs in Fort Walton Beach, FL, ourselves, so we might be relocating to Orlando.

Good luck!!

Cental Florida is not much better for jobs at this time for anyone!:sad1:

Thanks!
I've actually hired a person who called and brought their resume to our attention. While HR wasn't bad at screening resumes, sometimes good candidates would only receive a cursory review.

I wouldn't call over and over again, but one phone call may be the one that helps you get noticed.

Don't forget to follow up with a thank you note after you get an interview. That also gets you noticed since so few people do that.

I got the call yesterday that I got the job I interviewed for last Friday!! :cheer2: I'm so excited - I can hardly believe it! It's the best job I could have hoped for, and I'm so glad things turned out the way they did!

I have a word of encouragement for anyone who's waiting, or whose resume got lost in the shuffle and you didn't get the job you put in for... I put in for a job with my former company, thought I was a shoo-in for the position (had touched all the bases on their requirements and had recs from VPs, etC). Emailed former colleagues about the position, called them.. never heard a peep! I got a complex like maybe I'd been blackballed since leaving about 18 mos. ago... Found out they made an offer to someone else when they discovered my resume had not been processed. I was CRUSHED!

As fate would have it, the VERY NEXT DAY, another person called my former VP asking if he knew anyone for a sales director in my tri-state area and he connected the dots. Interviewed the next day, got the offer 4 days later.

If I'd gotten that first job like I was dying to do, I'd have missed this even better promotion opportunity! I've been praying like crazy that God would work behind the scenes to move the big pieces into place and that whatever job he wants me to have will work itself into view. The hard part was delivering on my promise not to obsess over worrying about the jobs!

Good luck to everyone out there!

Congrats!!!

So I did call one place about my resume, it was for a job that I really wanted and they said they had already done their first round of interviews last week. Well I saw the job posting last Friday and applied, so they closed their application pool weeks ago but never took their job posting down off their website :sad2: How frustrating.

Oh well, I'll make more calls tomorrow and we'll see. I'm trying to remember to be patient, a friend of mine just got a job through a friend. Took her 3 months to get the job and it was just between her and one other person, so I have to remember that right now things are slower then they were 6 years ago when I was last job hunting...LOL.

I got the call yesterday that I got the job I interviewed for last Friday!! :cheer2: I'm so excited - I can hardly believe it! It's the best job I could have hoped for, and I'm so glad things turned out the way they did!

I have a word of encouragement for anyone who's waiting, or whose resume got lost in the shuffle and you didn't get the job you put in for... I put in for a job with my former company, thought I was a shoo-in for the position (had touched all the bases on their requirements and had recs from VPs, etC). Emailed former colleagues about the position, called them.. never heard a peep! I got a complex like maybe I'd been blackballed since leaving about 18 mos. ago... Found out they made an offer to someone else when they discovered my resume had not been processed. I was CRUSHED!

As fate would have it, the VERY NEXT DAY, another person called my former VP asking if he knew anyone for a sales director in my tri-state area and he connected the dots. Interviewed the next day, got the offer 4 days later.

If I'd gotten that first job like I was dying to do, I'd have missed this even better promotion opportunity! I've been praying like crazy that God would work behind the scenes to move the big pieces into place and that whatever job he wants me to have will work itself into view. The hard part was delivering on my promise not to obsess over worrying about the jobs!

Good luck to everyone out there!

Congratulations to you!! It is SO HARD to "Be Still" and know that God will work it all out for you. I'm struggling SO MUCH with that right now. It's so hard to not want to try and take control. I'm so glad you can be a testament to others still searching.

I interviewed for a job at a Disney resort spa, couldn't work the shift they needed, so I planned to interview for the other position. They weren't able to schedule my second interview while I was still in town, so now I have to go back in about two weeks. :sad2: They said they will try to hold the job for me but can't guarantee it in the event they get busier sooner than they anticipated. I can't do much other than wait for the next interview, I cannot go back down to Orlando any sooner. So, it is very hard to be patient. HOWEVER....

You're story has given me another source of encouragement to remember that when God closes a door, he opens a window!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Congratulations LittleRoo!

Princess_Nikki -- that's so cool your husband is a sushi chef! How long has he been doing that?

I posted on another thread, but I put in my 2 weeks notice this week for my instructor job. Long story short, I'm having a few health concerns and little flexibility to take time off for doctor's visits without the threat of firing over my head. I honestly don't need that stress. My other job is extremely flexible as far as that goes, plus it pays more. I only have to work 25 hours there to earn what I was working 38 at the other job.

But I'm still searching for something else. I'll never give up on getting a teaching position at a middle school or high school!

Congratulations, LittleRoo! That's such great news! I hope your good fortune also rubs off on us!

I am hoping and praying that everyone gets their prayers answered in ways that you didn't even have the nerve to ask God for!! Abundantly and lavishly!

It's like I told my sister when I was trying to get everything lined up, rehearsing for my interview, etc. She said not to worry - "if it's what God means for you to have, you'll get it". I am of another persuasion though... I told her that basically "God provides worms for the birds, but the bird still has to dig for them every day."

So just keep "digging" and God will provide for each of you!

I have an interview either tomorrow or Tuesday:cool1:. As I've stated before I need a job so that I can start the ball rolling on some other things. But......I had a wicked bout with a stomach bug this weekend that I am not 100% or 90% yet...so prayers for quick healing and an awesome interview would be great appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter