Who else is job hunting right now?

That is great news!

Let me fill you in on something that I learned in case the contract is not extended or your DH is not offered a permanent position. If you get a rejection in applying for UC benefits, call your state's number and talk to someone. I spent the summer not collecting anything and using our home equity to make ends meet. When I had a problem filing online, I called the number and found out that because I was collecting and still had weeks available under that claim, I was eligible to collect all summer.

So, don't believe the letter you get if a claim is denied, call and speak to someone. I wish I did.

Hopefully, this will be moot, but in case anyone else is having trouble collecting, it's something to at least try.

I've applied to be president of Jr. Achievement in our area. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them with an interview offer.

Thanks for the info and good luck with your interview! :wizard:

I got a job too...well, atleast for the next few months. :banana: I've been substitute teaching for the past couple years (mainly in one district). A while ago I interviewed for a position in a different district and didn't get it. But, I kind of know the principal and she wanted to give me more exposure to the district through subbing. I got on the list and she left me a message this morning so I called her back and there's a teacher going on maternity leave. No more 5:30 am phone calls for a while!! I'm really excited and a little bit nervous. I'm also really glad that this school is a lot closer to home than where I'd been going. :thumbsup2

I got a job too...well, atleast for the next few months. :banana: I've been substitute teaching for the past couple years (mainly in one district). A while ago I interviewed for a position in a different district and didn't get it. But, I kind of know the principal and she wanted to give me more exposure to the district through subbing. I got on the list and she left me a message this morning so I called her back and there's a teacher going on maternity leave. No more 5:30 am phone calls for a while!! I'm really excited and a little bit nervous. I'm also really glad that this school is a lot closer to home than where I'd been going. :thumbsup2

That is so awesome! What grade and/or subject will it be? It's so much better knowing where you'll be every day compared to getting those calls.

That is so awesome! What grade and/or subject will it be? It's so much better knowing where you'll be every day compared to getting those calls.

Thanks! It's actually for an aide position so I'll be working with all different grades. Woo hoo!

So....I figured out that Colorado is different than MT for unemployment...and I may actually get some unemployment. :cool1: I did my first 6 hrs of "volunteer" work today for our food stamp benefits. Colorado is a work first state so for us to keep our benefits I have to volunteer 40 hrs a month. Most months it wouldn't be too bad....this month is....with the time limits placed by the Work force site and Goodwill....I had less than 15 days to do it AND I was sick all of last week. :rolleyes:. This is on top of looking for jobs and any interviews that come up....which leads me to my good news:

I put in for a position this evening at 5:00 or so and they called at 7 for an interview in the morning. :cool1::cool1:

All good vibes would be appreciated at 10:30 my time tomorrow (MST....so 12:30 for you East Coasters)

I called one of our county commissioners yesterday. There was an article in the paper that said the county can't afford to fill the IT Director's position.

So, I told him that I'm willing to take 1/2 salary for the first year to prove myself to him and the other commissioners and I also promised to find $100,000 that I can save the county. He sounded intrigued. We'll see.

The way I look at it... it's a permanent position that is very well paying. 1/2 salary is still more than unemployment. I know that I can knock their socks off. I know that I can find savings in the position. I worked for one of the cheapest companies on the planet for 20 years. I can find savings where none are apparent.

I'm so bored at home.

Babytrees, best of luck on your interview! What a cool concept for unemployment benefits that CO has. It at least incents people to do something other than hang out on their computer all month (like I tend to do even though I'm involved in our church and the kids' school.)

I wanted to put out some more good and positive thoughts out there for those of us that have been having a hard time finding work.

I have been unemployed for a year and a week now.

However, last week the place that Laid me off, had an open house! I was the first one there and had the first initial interview, then went home and did an assessment and then waited. I was freaking out but today....I got a phone call for a follow up interview. When I really thought all was lost and things were just going to get worse. There is a little bit of pixie dust and I hope it works for me.

It might not but I am going in with my head held high and hope and pray for the best.

I know its been a tough year for many of you and your families and with the holidays coming it makes things even harder. It still will be difficult for me this holiday season but stay strong. You have all been a little bit of hope and fun for me this year. Thank you and GOOD LUCK to all of you!:grouphug:

Good luck to you, babytrees! :hug:

I hopefully have gotten a big bite here...I've gotten to know a lady in my Accounting class very well recently. She is still employed, in the accounting department of her company, and her boss agrees with her that she needs an assistant, as she has been working 10-12 hour days. It would be on a temporary, but full-time basis, and it's up to her to choose the person she wants. She says she'd like me to work with her, and she feels it would go permanent in the end. She brought an application for me last week and asked me to give it to her tonight in class. I have my fingers crossed! And even if it doesn't turn permanent, I figure I'd be signed up with a temp agency in the end anyway!

Wow, it seems like things are moving along for a bunch of people! RUDisney, what a fabulous idea! A foot in the door is the best way to get the rest of yourself in there! :rotfl:

DH has gone through all the security stuff for his new job but will probably have to wait until next Wed to take a government regulations class and then start the Monday after Thanksgiving. I am superstitious so I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed until he actually starts!

Good luck to all the interviewees and keep the faith!

RUDisney, what a fantastic idea! You are so awesome for thinking of that angle.

I just wanted to check in. My DS got another job -- he lost a lot of hours at Walmart, so he applied at a manufacturing place and got a full-time job there. He's likely to get laid off, but at least he can get himself a car to start looking for jobs out of town!

got the denial back.....the company I was with doesn't have to pay into unemployment so I can't get benefits....they got me while I was there (no benefits except for those special few...all shady but done legally) and still getting me. The Work First time is for our food stamp benefits (if you get subsidized housing and a few other state benefits also)...I really don't mind the work...I do mind the conflicting and misinformation I am getting.

The interview went fairly well...I am one of 5 that they interviewed....actually it was 2 interviews in a 15 minute period. :upsidedow I should know by Friday....I am actually hoping sooner.

Count me in as a job hunter.

I used to love my job and it paid well for what it was (waitress/restaurant supervisor) but now everyone is down to about 20 hours per week and tips are a lot less.

I'm a student, I'm very smart and I've been looking for an entry level clerical job, or similar, for about a year now. I would prefer it to be in the health care business since I am working to become a nurse, but at this point I'll take anything.

Trouble is, I live in one of the worst states for unemployment right now. And although I should be extremely happy that I have a job, it's not paying the bills like it used to. Even places that aren't requiring much or anything in terms of experience aren't biting. I understand though, they say no experience needed but why would they choose someone inexperienced over a seasoned candidate? I get it, on paper I don't look so great. But in times when I would have been given a chance, I don't because the economy stinks.

DD is still unemployed 6 months later :(
She has applied for everything....can't even get hired for seasonal work.....I take that back, she just got a job for a month as a USPS driver helper at $8 an hour. It doesn't start until Dec. 2 and will be over after Christmas.
We'll see what happens then. In the meantime, she is bored to death sitting around the house with nothing to do and no money to do anything fun.

man do my feet hurt.....8+ hours on my feet when I am used to being chained to a desk is a very odd feeling.

I am getting very frustrated with people who do not call and say "sorry you weren't what we were looking for" after an interview....I am assuming I didn't get the job I interviewed for last week because she said she would make her decision by last Friday.

I did get a message for a phone interview....of course I wasn't here to pick up the phone because I was doing my "volunteer" work.

Well, currently I work during the weekdays and I could really use a weekend job.

The Old Spaghetti Factory is hiring for weekend help as posted on craigslist so I'm going to head out there tomorrow. It would be PERFECT. I'm still a student so I couldn't take on a full time job with my schedule but some weekend income would be so perfect! I'm crossing my fingers.

Red Robin as well as a couple of Pac NW restaurant chains (Stanford's and Newport Bay) are also in the area so I should go check those out as well...

I got a heads up from a recruiter about a job in Harrisburg. I sent my updated resume to her to see what happens. Harrisburg is "only" a 2.5 hour drive from my house. I told the recruiter that I will need lodging from Monday through Thursday, a per diem for meals and paid parking.

I'm very qualified for the job. My DH wants me to get it so I have something.

I don't want to be away from my family for 4.5 days each week. I will come home to a mess and my children will be running wild since my DH doesn't believe in discipline except when it's convenient for him. He figures that is my job so he gets to be the "good guy".

So, here's to hoping something else comes along and I don't have to accept this as an interim position.:drinking1

:)Just got a temp position. A friend of mine went on maternity leave and she recommended me as a fill-in until she gets back.:)What a great friend!

Anyway, I start on Monday, working 3 days a week and the job goes until February. Yea. :)

Hopefully by then, full time jobs will start to open up. I remain ever optimistic!:)

First, congratulations to all of you who are keeping yours heads from becoming a mess because you are not working. I applaud all of you.

Second, we own a staffing company in MN and it is brutal out there right now. Our staffing business has taken a huge hit just like everyone else's. But we have 3 direct hire (we do perm placement as well) positions and have received hundreds of resumes for them. We are having a hard time getting through them all so that we can give each person some type of feedback.

I have been in the staffing business for 32 years and have NEVER seen so very many well qualified individuals looking for work. It makes me ill and I have a hard time liking my own company right now because we have to turn so many good people away.

To all of you looking for work, my wish is that you find a job soon. As one of my clients said "having a job is a privilege". My hat is off to all of you for keeping it together right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter