Who else is cutting their days at Disney and adding Universal

I am switching to just Universal trips instead of the split days of the past for the most part for the foreseeable future. My next trip in Dec will be Universal with a possible Mickey's Christmas party one night.

For me though, it's not all about FP+. Yes, my last trip with FP+ did push me to switch things for this upcoming trip to take out the Disney days and make them more Universal days. However, for me that was probably going to happen anyway because of Diagon Alley.

I may have been born and raised a Disney kid, and I do love WDW and still get the happy warm fuzzies when I see the Castle, but Potter is my one true love in life. Basically, Universal bought me paid in full from Disney the moment they got the Potter contract.:rotfl: That doesn't mean I don't love Disney and the memories associated with it, Disney doesn't have Potter and Universal does.

Also, yes FP+ did it make it harder for me to justify giving time and money to Disney for the time being. I didn't like the scheduling, or the restrictions, especially when compared to unlimited Express pass. Universal is just easier in the long run and there is no need to schedule your vacation like it's a job. Except for getting to early entry for Potter, you don't really need a schedule. I like that.

I do think going to the Xmas party will be a nice way to get that little Disney magic in on my next trip without spending a ton of extra money and with all the new Potter gift shops, I am going to need all the extra money I can get.

We did. We cut one day at the end and will be staying at Universal one night and doing the new things we've haven't seen yet as well as whatever else we can fit in.

Transformers, Despicable Me, new Simpsons area, updated Beetlejuice show. Plus we'll be there during their last Mardi Gras weekend.
If HP is open, we'll check that out too.

But it's not because of the FP+ stuff. The one thing is that it's costing me a bunch more money but my DS18 who graduates this year requested it and he hasn't asked for anything else regarding graduation so we are doing it.

Also, yes FP+ did it make it harder for me to justify giving time and money to Disney for the time being. I didn't like the scheduling, or the restrictions, especially when compared to unlimited Express pass. Universal is just easier in the long run and there is no need to schedule your vacation like it's a job. Except for getting to early entry for Potter, you don't really need a schedule. I like that.

I do think going to the Xmas party will be a nice way to get that little Disney magic in on my next trip without spending a ton of extra money and with all the new Potter gift shops, I am going to need all the extra money I can get.

and I think that is the number one flaw in the whole fp+ system, no matter how much they tweak or test or survey or make changes, the whole concept of planning that far out to that level of detail is not a great vacation experience for many people.:wizard:

I'm definitely not cutting Disney time. Universal is okay, but not worth more than 1 day at each park, IF that. With the exception of Springfield and Harry Potter, I find their theming to be atrocious. All my opinion, though.

I'm considering a trip including Universal together with a combination of Sea World, Lego Land and/or Busch Gardens and possibly one of the hard ticket events in the Magic Kingdom. We're within easy driving distance and always have a car so there's no reason to resist getting around a bit.

We usually visit Disney twice a year but with the FP+ rollout we are not going at all this year. We have a trip to Universal in early June scheduled and are staying in their new suites at Cabana Bay. We are big thrill riders so my kids enjoy Universal.
Also, I have always liked to plan ahead for our Disney trips with dining but I do not like having to plan what rides we plan on riding in advance. I don't want to be completely locked in to a schedule. At Universal, there is no planning. We can just get up and decide the morning of which park we are attending. With the HP expansion comes some planning but not as much as Disney has created.
I am glad that Disney is changing the FP+ to add day of FP but that just means that everyone will pre-book morning or early afternoon FP+ which will make getting reservations as early as possible a must.
Still love Disney and I'm actually going thru withdrawls right now knowing that I won't be back til next yr but I cannot spend that kind of money to wait in long lines all day when I have never had to do it before.

We contemplate going to Universal every time we go to Disney, but ultimately we don't want to waste a Disney day. On our next trip, the combination of Harry Potter and FP+ will have us visiting Universal for at least a day. .

We were the same way for so long...they HP was the reason to try Universal. We stayed onsite, and WOW. I mean WOW. The hotel was exceptional, we could walk to the parks if we wanted to, we loved having unlimited front of the line (their version of fast pass), not having to have FP runners (not not having to schedule our day ahead).

We found the food there basically the same as Disney, the rides there seem to be much more varied and richer, and HP is an absolute jewel. I am so glad they are spending money on another HP land rather than on wristbands for us to wear.

And the CMs at Universal are what Disney once was. All smiling, all seeming to enjoy their work.

Can't wait to visit Disney next time (we were just there a few weeks ago, and miss it already). The theming, setting, memories, cleanliness, can't be beat. Just driving onto the property is a pleasure.

Can't wait to visit Universal next time. They have the FP system right, we have no lines anywhere for anything, and they spend their money on new attractions that are awesome. And they seem happy to see us.

I'm definitely not cutting Disney time. Universal is okay, but not worth more than 1 day at each park, IF that.

This is pretty much my opinion. I could spend maybe 3 days on-site at Universal if I went slow through the parks. I could easily spend 2 weeks on-site at Disney going hard every day. (And I enjoy going hard every day at Disney.)

I will say that Forbidden Journey is the single best theme park ride I've ever experienced... But not much else at Universal actively appeals to me, unfortunately.

I will not be going to Universal until next year. The lines are going to be way too long and the crowds too much for the new stuff for awhile. and I've seen the old stuff.

I split my stay in August. I wasn't planning on it as we just purchased our PAP's and going to Universal would require purchasing tickets.

Don't flame me but yes it was FP+ that pushed me there.

We went to US the summer after HP opened and LOVED Portofino Bay, much more luxurious than BC, especially the room. The club level also has a much nicer offerings at the evening reception, it can replace dinner as BC CL can not. PB was also more inexpensive, so it was a better value. The FoTL pass was very, very nice although I does not include a couple of the headliners, which can be managed with Single rider lines. Also, the extra hour in the morning is much less crowded as there are only 3 hotels associated with this perk.

So with FP+ at only 3, and RD getting to feel less like a FOTL pass, and more crowded EMH it started to feel like 3 and done for the parks and back to the resort. If I'm going to have more resort time, I might as well get the pass, nicer room and better value stay at PB do Universal in the AM and 3 and out at night at WDW.

My DD (who got me to US in the first place, big HP fan) and I saw back to back commercials for US and WDW. WDW - "The best thing about staying at WDW just might be the resort" showing the monorail going into the Contemporary" while US - showed its great new attractions.

I'm not saying I'm trying to stick it to WDW or I'll never be back but I need to be conscientious of my family's time and money.

I admit I used to be a WDW snob, but until you go and stay, you won't know just how nice it is.

I'll be cutting my Disney time back, but not in favor of Universal. The group that I'll be with has no desire to go to the dark side. I'll just be happy to do my 3 FP+ and head back to the resort to relax and enjoy it. June is just way too hot, humid and crowded for me to want to do otherwise.

My family has always taken a day or two off from Disney to do another park. Previously it was Sea World but now that my brother is older and likes the thrill rides and I'm a HUGE HP fan I'm planning on hitting Universal on our non-Disney days. Currently the split is looking to be 5 1/2 days Disney and 3 days Universal (1 day per park and another day or so to hit anything that was missed/re-rides).

Yes!!! Already have my Universal tickets. Decided to just use up what was left on my WDW tickets and add two days at US. I didn't want to buy anymore days at WDW until they work this mess out.

We're going to universal for the first time this fall. Will be very interesting to compare the front of the line pass experience vs FP+...

Not me. As much as I would like to see HP, honestly that's the only reason I would go. I know US has much more than that, but it's kind of a been there done that thing for us. It's difficult for me to justify adding a $600 plus food day JUST to see HP. Plus, despite FP anxiety, I just can't give up any precious Disney days. My family also takes non-Disney vacations so we don't go as often as some others (once every 2-3 years), so when we do we like to soak in as much as possible!

We went to Universal for the first time last year after many WDW only trips only for HP. The rest of the park was kinda 'meh' for me. Admittedly I am not a thrill ride junkie so I get all of the thrills I need at WDW. But my DD is a huge HP fan so I had to give in. And while that area was very well themed, the rest of it was lost on me.

We switched from spending most days at Disney to most days at Universal a few years ago. The lower costs of the onsite hotels combined with the unlimited fast passes, make Universal a much more relaxing vacation for us.

I also love that Universal is truly a car/bus free vacation. The hotels are all within walking distance of the parks and it's so easy to park hop or head back to the hotel for a break at the pool.

I will always love Disney, but Universal is a great destination too. It is definitely not all thrill rides either. I don't ride roller coasters anymore and I still find lots to do. :goodvibes

We went to Universal for the first time last year after many WDW only trips only for HP. The rest of the park was kinda 'meh' for me. Admittedly I am not a thrill ride junkie so I get all of the thrills I need at WDW. But my DD is a huge HP fan so I had to give in. And while that area was very well themed, the rest of it was lost on me.

I think this is certainly a personal opinion thing. I honestly have never understood the whole, "Universal is not themed" thing, especially in regards to IOA. Yes there are parts where the theme is low key, such as Marvel Island but then there is Jurrasic Park which is themed down to the concrete and the theme in The Lost Continent is just extraordinary in the rock work alone.

Yes, over at the studios it is not overly themed in parts but neither is DHS where the theme would be the same, a Hollywood film studio. Of course that's changing now with Diagon Alley and what they've created in Springfield is stunning.

I just never really understood the whole "it's not themed" thing because I just don't see that. I completely understand preferring Disney themeing to Universal themeing but to say Universal doesn't have themeing outside of WWOHP is just not factual.

My DD (who got me to US in the first place, big HP fan) and I saw back to back commercials for US and WDW. WDW - "The best thing about staying at WDW just might be the resort" showing the monorail going into the Contemporary" while US - showed its great new attractions.

Great responses so far and this seems to sum up Disney's new theme, pay no attention to Universal adding all those major attractions, with 3 fast passes you will love your resort. lol

Just kidding people I really do love Disney but really want more awesome attractions added.

Yes, we are adding a day and using that for Universal both parks for one day. Hope HP lives up to the Hype! Universal is ok but it's no Disney which is why I go to Orlando :banana:

I am switching to just Universal trips instead of the split days of the past for the most part for the foreseeable future. My next trip in Dec will be Universal with a possible Mickey's Christmas party one night.

For me though, it's not all about FP+. Yes, my last trip with FP+ did push me to switch things for this upcoming trip to take out the Disney days and make them more Universal days. However, for me that was probably going to happen anyway because of Diagon Alley.

I may have been born and raised a Disney kid, and I do love WDW and still get the happy warm fuzzies when I see the Castle, but Potter is my one true love in life. Basically, Universal bought me paid in full from Disney the moment they got the Potter contract.:rotfl: That doesn't mean I don't love Disney and the memories associated with it, Disney doesn't have Potter and Universal does.

We usually stay onsite at Universal in October but hit a MNSSHP. It's a great way to have a touch of Disney. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter