Who else is affected by direct air?

We had the same plan for the 3 of us during 4/14-4/21. Directair Worchester to Sanford, $507 non-stop, $49 parking for the week at the airport, $192 Avis Ford Escape for the week, $748 total Transportation cost. :cool1::cool1:
Now, Kayak and all are showing $700-800 airfare for a single ticket with midnight landings at Sanford and daybreak departures from Sanford on 6 to 8hour flights, that's absurd. :scared1::sick::scared1::eek:
Rather than going through the TSA (Transportation System Absurdity), Spending 10-12 hours at airports and on airplanes; with a cost of about $3,000, we're going to our backup plan. :upsidedow:mad::sick::confused:
The backup plan is our 22 hour road trip, about $500 for gas ($3.75/gallon), $50 for tolls, $550 total Transportation cost. :teacher:
We drove in '04 ($1.64/gallon) and '07 ($2.80/gallon) because of the absurd airfare; it looks like we're using the backup plan again this year. :headache::confused3
Hope for the best, good luck all,
Joe

Our last road Trip to WDW started Friday the 13th of April 2007, at 3:45 pm in our 2006 Chevy Trailblazer:

Destination, Miles, Total Miles from Boston, Time

Leaving, Boston to Walt Disney World: Friday, 4/13/07, 3:45pm
1, Boston to New Jersey 208 208 7:49 PM
2, N J to Laurel MD 219 427 11:44 PM
3, MD to Rocky Mt NC 250 677 3:36 AM
4, NC to Manning SC 219 896 7:00 AM
5, SC to Kingsland GA 226 1,122 10:30 AM
Arrived, GA to WDW 203 1,325 2:00 PM

Started, Friday, 4/13/07 3:45 PM
Finished, Saturday, 4/14/07 2:00 pm
A 22 hr trip with 5 stops along the way down
63 gallons of gas, $175 for the gas, 21 mpg

The Trip Home started at 9:45 AM, Saturday, April 21,2007
Destination, Miles, Total Miles from WDW, Time

Leaving Walt Disney World to Boston: Saturday, April 21st 9:45 AM
1, WDW to Kingsland Ga 194 194 12:44 PM
2, GA to Manning SC 226 420 4:16 PM
3, SC to Rocky Mt. NC 218 638 7:42 PM
4, NC to Aberdeen MD 292 930 12:26 AM
5, MD to Newark NJ 170 1,100 3:27 AM
Arrived, NJ to Boston, MA 246 1,346 7:30 AM

Started, Saturday, 4/21 9:45 AM 0 Miles
Finished, Sunday, 4/22 7:30 AM 1346 miles
A 22 hr trip with 5 stops on the way home
62 gallons of gas $175 for the gas 21 mpg

Total miles 2,671, about 21 mpg, about 70 mph
Total gas 125gallons $350
Total Tolls $50

You know, this is sounding better and better.

The best flights I can find are Southwest, Providence to Orlando. They are nonstop but we'd need to leave home on Friday instead of Saturday and come home Sunday (well, Monday really... midnight flight) instead of Saturday. That might be too much time away from home for us. We tend to get home sick and miss our kitties. Still thinking.... Oh, hmmm... we'd also need to get hotels for the additional nights and the flights will cost about $1000 for the two of us.

We had flights on Direct Air for our trip April 21-28, Worcester to Sanford. I also had a great deal on a SUV rental out of Sanford. Now I'm scrambling trying to find good and cheap flights from Boston or Providence to Orlando. It going to cost so much more. :headache: Lesson learned.

Thanks. I'm going to check this out. Can you tell me more about your flights?

I really like the idea of flying to Orlando via Southwest (found $200 flights that are fine) then taking the train with a roomette back. Is that what you were able to add for only $200? When I added it the cost was an additional $529. Did you use a code other than the drop down box for the passengers?

Hi..glad to help as I know how everyone effected by Direct Air feels ( I was miserable for a few days trying to arrange new transportation). I found the airfare down wasn't bad - I think I paid $200 as well, but it's the airfare back that was VERY high or there was nothing available back.

Yes, it was the roomette that I was quoted $200 for. When you check out, it will ask you if you're a AAA member and you can add your AAA card number there for an additional discount. I spoke to someone at Amtrak earlier this week and between the pictures on the Amtrak website and what the Amtrak person told me, the train seemed like it would actually be a pleasant experience (I nixed it as I have family of 5 with little ones and I would have needed a roomette and one of the bigger rooms as well and then I was approaching the same cost as flying).

Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!!

We were going Aug 25 - Sept 1. I am now researching new options. We had reserved a house because me parents were coming and wanted to room but now I thinking values with free meal plan. I am also running the numbers flying vs driving. We would need to rent a car both of our are too unreliable. The best flights I am finding are from PHL round trip 210 (not bad) but the times stink. Still it's better than sitting in a car for 24 hours

After talking it over with DH we have decided to fly Southwest both ways. We have extended our vacation by a day on each side. We are now flying down on Friday and returning on Sunday instead of traveling on the Saturdays. I will be excited once I get used to the change. ((( :banana: ))) Our flights ended up being $799 total and our flights are nonstop. The return flight is a red-eye, but I think that is OK. Now to coordinate with the house sitter, call Budget about the rental car and find hotels for the extra nights. I think I'll have some tea first. :surfweb: Thanks everyone for your advice and support! Good luck to everyone else.

By the way, I found a new online flight search tool that I like. hipmonk.com super cute and I liked the flights all shown in a graph. I wish it showed more airlines.

Direct Air is telling passengers who paid with a debit card or with cash to file a claim with the escrow bank.

This merely suggests the escrow bank might find it easier if the credit card companies did the legwork for them.

We have no idea if Direct Air was properly handling escrow. The claim procedure doesn't give us any insight.

edited to add I'm not really disagreeing (much) with jsilvers. The DOT is investigating how Direct Air handled the escrow account. It's certainly possible irregularities will turn up. My point is nothing has been proven.

People are told to make a credit card charge back, if possible. It's a lot easier then filing a claim directly with the escrow bank.

Actually it indicates Direct Air and possibly it's bank don't want to violate the terms of the credit card agreement a merchant has with the banks. The rules are that payments made via credit cards should be refunded via credit cards. Otherwise you could get a "cash" refund for something you paid for via a credit card. The credit card company does not want you doing that as it's basically a cash advance and they want to charge more for those.

As for the person who asked about Amex. you have two options. (A) it will be very fast (b) Amex will drage thier feet FOREVER. I have had both happen!

Actually it indicates Direct Air and possibly it's bank don't want to violate the terms of the credit card agreement a merchant has with the banks. The rules are that payments made via credit cards should be refunded via credit cards. Otherwise you could get a "cash" refund for something you paid for via a credit card. The credit card company does not want you doing that as it's basically a cash advance and they want to charge more for those.

As for the person who asked about Amex. you have two options. (A) it will be very fast (b) Amex will drage thier feet FOREVER. I have had both happen!

Not really. The escrow bank could issue credit card refunds. Regardless jsilvers indicated having customers contact their credit card company suggests a deficiency in the escrow account. I said it suggests it's easier for both the passenger and escrow bank if the passenger deals with the credit card company and the credit card companies deal with the escrow bank. Your comment about the requirement of issuing a credit card credit instead of issuing a check merely gives an additional reason why it's easier.

Credit card companies don't want me buying something this morning and returning it for cash this afternoon for the reasons you list. How many passengers would book a ticket with a failing charter airline for the purpose of getting a cash refund from the escrow bank? There are techniques used to get cash from a credit card, without it being treated as a cash advance. This isn't one of them.

Just wanted to give an update to debit card users.. I purchased 3 family ties vouchers that were going to be used this summer and as soon as Direct Air filed bankruptcy I called my bank and had the money back in my account 4 hours later! Definitely contact your bank first, I had no idea it would be so quick :)

sunkissed4, what proof did your bank ask for the debit card. My friend purchased her family ties with a debit card through the credit union and they told her to contact Direct Air directly?? I was wondering if maybe the credit union has never dealt with a situation like this before! Thanks:confused3

I faxed the bank the email Direct Air sent me saying they canceled their charter program and then called back after I heard the news about the bankruptcy and they said they were able to confirm they filed bankruptcy and would be crediting my account.

Just wanted to give an update to debit card users.. I purchased 3 family ties vouchers that were going to be used this summer and as soon as Direct Air filed bankruptcy I called my bank and had the money back in my account 4 hours later! Definitely contact your bank first, I had no idea it would be so quick :)

It's not that quick. When you do a charge bank, banks put the money back in your account in good faith and reserve the right to reverse the chargeback depending on their research.

It's not that quick. When you do a charge bank, banks put the money back in your account in good faith and reserve the right to reverse the chargeback depending on their research.

True but in this case the merchant has already filed chapter 11 and told customers to file a credit card dispute. Not much research is required.

We just got back from Florida. We flew Direct air last Friday (March 9). My sister called us on Wed to advise us the airline suspended flights. We ended up booking the last van with Avis ...We ended up driving from MCO to Niagara Falls Airport. We then had to drop off the rental at BUF airport. I got the rental van for only $500. If we get the money back from the cc company we won't be out that much money. The drive wasn't too bad - the kids were so good. We laugh about this. We are lucky that we booked Friday to Friday because we had the time to drive.

Direct Air upgraded us to first class seating - not sure why - we got free drinks, snacks etc and sat in the first couple of rows. The plane was one time which was a surprise. We found the seats worn and the staff were kind of tacky. you get what you pay for. My husband says from now on we only use Jetblue. U-Save car rental was also hard to deal with. We had a problem with our rental and it took several hours to get a call back. I would never use U-Save.

fitmom---SO glad it worked out for you! I've tried to keep my June loss of tickets in perspective by thinking of families like yours who were mid-trip.

That said---My credit showed up today on my CC from Direct Air. SO happy that I'm no longer holding 2 sets of tickets without the credit.

All in all, I think I did okay.....I was able to book seats for the same dates on Frontier out of a slightly closer airport. When I booked Direct Air, the Frontier flights hadn't been added to the Bloomington, IL airport. It flies directly into MCO, so I was able to cancel my Happy Limo reservation. Total, it's only about $150 more than I was paying for Direct Air & car service, so I'm happy. DH is happy about using the ME vs. worrying about a private shuttle service.

I hope everyone sees the credit on their account ASAP!

True but in this case the merchant has already filed chapter 11 and told customers to file a credit card dispute. Not much research is required.

Except for the fact that when they are unable to get a refund from the merchant (which will happen), the company has zero legal obligation to let the refund stand unless it was a credit transaction processed in the past 60 days.

Except for the fact that when they are unable to get a refund from the merchant (which will happen), the company has zero legal obligation to let the refund stand unless it was a credit transaction processed in the past 60 days.

We have no idea how much money was in the escrow account, covered by bonding or how the escrow account will be allocated to passengers if found to be deficient. Even if there isn't enough money to pay every claimant there may be enough money to cover passengers who paid with a debit card and who paid more then about 90 days ago (60 days plus time to hit statement).

You have a year from the statement to make a claims and defenses. Customers in some states have such a claim.

Finally credit card companies (really banks) are unlikely to refuse a charge back if other banks are crediting their customers in similar situations.

A number of other lcc went out of business over the last 10 years. I don't recall reading anything which suggested passengers had issues getting credit card refunds. My memory is most (all?) debit card passengers were taken care of, just took longer. Those were scheduled airlines. Direct Air was operating as a public charter. Escrow and bonding requirements exist.

I got my release papers from Amex by registered mail on Friday. I'm to sign the form and send it back registered mail with a copy of the unused tickets within 10 business days. I sent it today and hope to have a response soon. I did find it strange that I was to address the envelope Attention: Direct Air. I'm assuming they have a lot of customers in the same situation.

I got my release papers from Amex by registered mail on Friday. I'm to sign the form and send it back registered mail with a copy of the unused tickets within 10 business days. I sent it today and hope to have a response soon. I did find it strange that I was to address the envelope Attention: Direct Air. I'm assuming they have a lot of customers in the same situation.

What are/were your flight dates? :confused:
I talked to Chase. :headache:
They sent me some forms. :rolleyes1
I filled out the forms they sent me and sent them back a couple of weeks ago. :sad2:
I talked to them again and I was told they had the money pending but could not release it until my flight dates 4/14-4/21 passed. :teacher:
Has anyone gotten a refund from their credit card company? :confused3
I'm so fed up with the Airline Industry this year we're driving down again for the 3rd time, '04, '07 and now '12 . :laundy:
Good luck all,
Joe

My flight dates are for July and I purchased the tickets in November. I really hope they don't make me wait until July for the refund. :sad2:

What are/were your flight dates? :confused:

Has anyone gotten a refund from their credit card company? :confused3

My boss's flight dates were March 26 (to Myrtle Beach), returning April 6. He received his refund from TD Visa the Friday before he left (I rebooked him on Delta for the same dates at more than twice the original Direct Air price :eek: ) .

The bank did their darnest to fight it, but once we stressed the "Visa E-Promise" protection benefits that were easily found online (and seemed to be established just for situations like this), the credit was applied to his credit card.

He had only purchased his tickets 11 days prior to the ceasing of service by Direct Air, so fortunately it was recent enough that he didn't have some of the issues that those who booked 6 months or more ago experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter