Who Else Is A Slow Loser? (Weight Loss)

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
Of course this long cold winter doesn't help with trying to lose weight. But..summer is coming and I need to lose at least 10-15 lbs. We are also going to Disney in April and I want to be a bit smaller by then.

I am doing weight watchers on my own. (Have all the materials from previous losses.). What is frustrating is that I am now 49 years old and lose VERY slowly...like a 1/4 lb a week. It will definitely work, know that from the past, but seeing such a small result when you step on the scale makes it harder to stick with it. There isn't really an option of not sticking with it if I want to lose, but I sure wish it would go quicker. My plan is to look more at a monthly loss than weekly, but it's soooo hard.:)

Anyone else a slow loser and trying to get ready for summer? Figure we can all commiserate and encourage each other.

I am a very slow looser due to having diabetes. I have found that the paleo or blood sugar diet is awesome to kick me up a bit. Keep at it. I have found these boards to be amazing encouragement on my diet for Mickey.

I am. A coworker and I went on the same nutrition plan. She lost 30 pounds in 6 months. I lost 15 pounds in two years and then stopped losing any more. At that point, I gave up because it wasn't worth it for 15 pounds.

I'm doing Atkins and my weight loss slowed down so I did what they call the Atkins kick start and my weight loss started back up again. I started January 2nd with 20 lbs to lose. I'm down 13 so far.

Me!! It's frustrating. I am doing weight loss with some friends and they have all lost way more than I have. I count calories, and I am 99% faithful. I think it's just a metabolism thing?? Who knows.

Of course this long cold winter doesn't help with trying to lose weight. But..summer is coming and I need to lose at least 10-15 lbs. We are also going to Disney in April and I want to be a bit smaller by then.

I am doing weight watchers on my own. (Have all the materials from previous losses.). What is frustrating is that I am now 49 years old and lose VERY slowly...like a 1/4 lb a week. It will definitely work, know that from the past, but seeing such a small result when you step on the scale makes it harder to stick with it. There isn't really an option of not sticking with it if I want to lose, but I sure wish it would go quicker. My plan is to look more at a monthly loss than weekly, but it's soooo hard.:)

Anyone else a slow loser and trying to get ready for summer? Figure we can all commiserate and encourage each other.

I would mix it up and try something different. I know WW still incorporates a lot of carbs into their food. Have you ever tried cutting out sugar and flour from your diet completely? Try it for a couple of weeks and see what that does for you.

i'm not a just a slow loser it seems like no matter what i do i can't lose anything!
when i put my mind to exercise and eating healthy i am devoted.
i'll walk on the tread mill for 30 minutes at 3.5mph EVERY DAY and i'll stop drinking soda and start drinking water more and stop eating junk food and start eating salads.
i'll do this for MONTHS at a time when i'm motivated YET i lose NOTHING.

i'm off to WDW in april and i've been exercising and eating better since new years and yet have lost nothing.

this makes me want to sit on the couch and eat ice cream all day since i can do that and not gain anything more.

i'm not a just a slow loser it seems like no matter what i do i can't lose anything!
i'll walk on the tread mill for 30 minutes at 3.5mph EVERY DAY and i'll stop drinking soda and start drinking water more and stop eating junk food and start eating salads.

i'm off to WDW in april and i've been exercising and eating better since new years and yet have lost nothing.

this makes me want to sit on the couch and eat ice cream all day since i can do that and not gain anything more.
Ha -- I had the same experience!

I would mix it up and try something different. I know WW still incorporates a lot of carbs into their food. Have you ever tried cutting out sugar and flour from your diet completely? Try it for a couple of weeks and see what that does for you.

I actually have mixed it up a bit. weight Watchers doesn't necessarily incorporate a lot of carbs. You do have stick to your points, however. I now make most of my points higher protein and less carbs. I also eat the carbs in the morning (high fiber English muffin for example) and then mostly protein later in the day.

I know my metabolism has slowed as I have gotten older. no excuse, but I am on thyroid meds and while my levels are ok, I do think it has played a role as I age.

Just trying to keep in mind...the tortoise and the hare. slow and steady wins the race. But...it still ticks me off.

To be honest, that's not enough. If you are only going to do 30 minutes on the treadmill, you need to increase your intensity. Whenever I do 30 minutes, I make sure I do short bursts of jogging/running and my "slow walk" is at 3.6 mph. I did what you did for awhile and it resulted in nothing. It was only when I really pushed myself that things started happening. That's really kind of "mild" work on the treadmill and this is coming from a couch potato!

To be honest, that's not enough. If you are only going to do 30 minutes on the treadmill, you need to increase your intensity. Whenever I do 30 minutes, I make sure I do short bursts of jogging/running and my "slow walk" is at 3.6 mph. I did what you did for awhile and it resulted in nothing. It was only when I really pushed myself that things started happening. That's really kind of "mild" work on the treadmill and this is coming from a couch potato!

3.5mph is a very brisk walk for me.
i have short legs and my stride is small.
i do try to toss in 2 minutes here and there for 4.2mph jogging.
i'm sweating like a pig by 10 minutes in and my heart rate is 160bpm which is target for me so clearly its a good work out for ME.

i did not mention how last year i sid the jillian michaels 12 week program which was more intense than the tread mill and guess what???? I LOST NOTHING!

it doesn't help that i have thyroid problems.
the only time i have ever lost weight was when i had hyperthyoiritis.

heck i even took adipex for 6 months and that did absolutely nothing but make me throw up.
i took it because my dr thought it would work well for me cuz my sister took it and lost 40lbs and has kept it off.
its just very frustrating when it seems like other people lose weight so easily and then you don't.

Last edited:
Mine loss/gain depends on how much I eat under/over mt TDEE.

LOL...yep. I am on MFP (My Fitness Pal).

OP, with 10-15 to go .5/week is GREAT!

It is all about the calorie count when you are trying to lose weight. You have to weigh things in grams on a food scale to get an accurate count.

Measuring spoons are not accurate and neither are serving sizes on packages. Here is a little vid on YouTube to illustrate.

With so little to lose you have to be tight on your calorie count.

Calculate your TDEE and go from there.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

As far as exercise, it does burn calories and help you to weight loss and toning but weight loss starts in the kitchen so to speak.

I would not even count treadmill exercise. It is really not "working out" esp. for those of us that are down in weight already. It just does not burn enough calories for weight loss.

Last edited:
What did you do to your diet during those 12 weeks?

well i don't eat THAT terribly to begin with
for example today i have had a banana for breakfast cuz i cannot eat much early in the morning or i feel ill and a turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and light mayo sandwich on rye bread for lunch. and for dinner i will be having a salad with light ranch, a new chicken dish my sister is making with boneless skinless chicken, pesto, and provolone, string beans, and garlic bread.
and so far to drink i've had about 48oz of water and i'll be having another probably 16oz with dinner and 16oz throughout the rest of the evening.
then i'll probably have a snack that includes milk and a few fig bars.

during those 12 weeks of that exercise program i was probably eating about the same but with a couple other snacks throughout the day like a cheese stick, or yogurt which i hate, or pineapple since i've been told you need to eat more when you are on an exercise program like that which is intense.

some people tell me i don't eat enough.
others say i eat too much so i just try to do what feels best for me.

I had never heard of 'TDEE' until this thread. I tried the calculator linked above and got 2267. I have a calorie goal calculated on the livestrong website of 1768 calories (when I put in lose 1 lb per week) so that is 500 cal below the TDEE which sounds about right to me. This website (livestrong/myplate) works for me when I stick to it, and I am over 50 and also on thyroid meds. My problem is sticking to the daily recording of everything I eat!

It's hard, OP, but stick with it. I have better results when I add in daily exercise.

I lost 25lbs on WW in a year. It was slow but for me slow is good and stays off. You loose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym is most ppls motto at WW which Im a firm believer in. Im still yet to start working out and keep saying I'll start Monday which yes I need to to firm up, get healthier and my strength back, not to loose weight. I love my carbs and have done the Atkins and paleo thing which worked for a short time, was quick and didnt stay off. Its hard to stay on a diet that limits foods you love, if you cant do it for life then its not doable.

I also agree your body will halt if you dont eat enough, when I hit a plateau eating more actually jumped started my weight loss again. As much as I love my carbs, I do feel better when I cut back on them. If I start to feel bloated I'll cut out potatoes and bread for a day or two and do feel much better. But its not something I'm willing to give up entirely, I don't eat bread everyday but I do have either pasta or potatoes once a day.

The best thing that works with whatever plan you decide to go with is to journal everything you eat, whether its points or nutritional like My Fitness pal it does make a difference. I keep between 23-23.9 BMI which Im happy at and dont have to work at it. Its the first time in my life I havent tried to kill myself dieting and exercising or go through "depression dieting" to get to this weight.

I am a slow loser also. Last January I switched from vegetarian to vegan. I lost a few pounds. About 4 months later, I went almost entirely plant based and started losing a bit faster. All told I lost 17 lbs from Jan 2014 to Jan 2015. Then about a month ago I went through 2 weeks of extreme stress and lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks! That was crazy. I went to the doctor (strep) and she freaked out about that much weight loss in a short time (I had been in for another reason just before my horribly stressful situation). I assured her that it was just a situation I was dealing with and I would start taking better care of myself. The first "real" meal I ate I gained back 3 lbs. Weight is a funny thing. To keep it off, you have to take it off slowly. I can say that I'm pretty certain that I'll keep off the 15 lbs that it took me a year to lose, but the weight I lost in the last few weeks is going to come back unless I eat very little.

Slow loser here as well. I totally relate to your struggles. And don't you just love when people try giving you advice? Remember, it's all our fault for not trying hard enough. :rolleyes: I've learned what works for me and I've also learned not to discuss specifics with anyone. Good luck with your journey.

Slow loser here as well. I totally relate to your struggles. And don't you just love when people try giving you advice? Remember, it's all our fault for not trying hard enough. :rolleyes: I've learned what works for me and I've also learned not to discuss specifics with anyone. Good luck with your journey.

I feel your pain! And yep, I've been lectured by a friend (who is tiny and ate me out of house and home the last time she visited) about how I should go about losing weight. Umm... yeah - not all of us have the same genetic makeup or metabolism. And when thyroid issues come into play it's really discouraging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter