Who else has banned their child from watching...........

LIFERBABE

DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
My Super Sweet 16 on MTV?

I have boys, but my friend happened on it last weekend with her 10 year old daughter and immediately her daughter asked if she could have a party like that when she turned 16. She told her no and turned the channel! :rotfl:

I think it is pretty crazy! One girl threw a fit because she wanted a Range Rover for her 16th birthday! I guess if they can afford it. I just kept thinking how many trips I could take to WDW for what they paid for the party.

Just wondering if anyone else found this fun to watch or decadent and encouraging to young girls to want the same thing who may not be able to afford such lavishness.

My DSD14 and I have both watched it. I have no problem with her watching it because she is clearly DISGUSTED by what she sees. We had several discussions about how bratty the Sweet 16s on the show have been. She doesn't seem to envy them... just thinks they need an attitude adjustment. Of course the parents are the ones who really need some help because they have created these little monsters!!! :earseek:

I saw that show and could not believe it!! :sad2: Just awful that the parents would let that go on...come on a Range Rover! Its not my MTV anymore! lol

My DD15 and I call it "My Sweet Spoiled Sixteen"....
not much envy here but I am sure if I could/would give her a range rover she would not turn it down! :rotfl2:

We've locked out MTV because the language coming from our 2 DSs got worse the more MTV they watched. So no, we didn't lock MTV because of Sweet 16 (since we have boys), but we've locked it because of other stuff, like "Pimp My Ride." Boy, do I miss the Sesame Street days!

I don't have any children...but if I did I would have to give my child a serious attitude adjustment if she/he thought they deserved that!!! I saw the "range rover girl", and she cried and through a temper tantrum at dinner on her birthday when they told her she wasn't getting a car because she was disrespecting their generosity. Then the day of her $300,000 party they give her the car. :rolleyes: Oh well...I wonder what her wedding will be like? :earseek:

Melissa

mjslvswdw1 said:
I don't have any children...but if I did I would have to give my child a serious attitude adjustment if she/he thought they deserved that!!! I saw the "range rover girl", and she cried and through a temper tantrum at dinner on her birthday when they told her she wasn't getting a car because she was disrespecting their generosity. Then the day of her $300,000 party they give her the car. :rolleyes: Oh well...I wonder what her wedding will be like? :earseek:

Melissa

That girl was the most annoying creature I have ever had the displeasure of watching. She was spoiled rotten! Did her parents honestly think she'd pay them any respect whatsoever when they had obviously catered to her every whim her entire life? It amazes me what people let their kids get away with. If I ever went out of town for the weekend without telling my parents, I would have been grounded until I was 30! And cancelling her credit card obviously didn't teach her a lesson. And I almost blew a gasket when she called her mother a b***h. Such disrespect! :sad2:

I never understood the idea of having a grand ball/present for turning 16. WHY?? You didn't DO anything! Its not like graduating Hebrew school (Bat/Bar Mitvah), orgraduating high school or college where you actually work at something and achieve it. You just managed to exist, live and breathe for 16 years. Big whoop!

I know most likely that Sweet 16 parties are an offshoot of young wealthy girls' "coming out parties" - the purpose to show that they are "on the market" for a well-off single young man. Sweet 16 functions are a "coming out ball" for the middle class, I guess.Thus also the reason boys do not have Sweet 16 parties. But why do such an antiquated thing anymore? I mean, who even marries at 16, 17 or even 18 in today's world? Turning 16 is NOT the age you go from a girl to a woman , regardless of what it may have symbolized.

Is that the only episode ya'll have seen? I saw the one where the guy pretty much had to pay girls to attend his party. I personally felt bad for him but he and his dad seemed to have had a grand ole time. How about the episode where the girl was turning 14 or 15, I don't remember? Her grand entrance was from a helicopter and then she just HAD to change her clothes three times I think.That little girl was just a spoiled brat and then in the end for her present her parents had a tiara made for her.

Amen HomeSweetDisney...I too was absolutely disgusted with her when she called her mom a ***ch. I wonder how many times shes wrecked it since her "big" day!! :rotfl2:

I've watched this show, by myself. My kids are in bed by the time it airs. I have seen 3 or so episodes. The last one I saw, I was so disgusted, I seriously thought of writing MTV a letter. What excatly are they promoting? How many 16 yo's families can afford these parties???? The last show I saw the Birthday Girl had moved to LA recently from Roswell, NM to live with her dad. This girl turned my stomach! She was such a spoiled brat and mean person.

I did not see last weeks show, but did read that it was the SERIES FINALE. I hope so!!

I think this show is entertaining as heck. I do. I think that if you approach it the right way, it can be an awesome opportunity to broach the topic of showy wealth/ostentation/"keeping up with the Joneses" with your kids. Honestly, if your teenager is idiot enough to watch "My Super Sweet 16" and decide that he or she deserves an equally lavish party - there are deeper issues. It's sort of like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" for the teen set.

- Dana (who had a joint Sweet 16 with two friends at the local Days' Inn, lots of streamers and a deejay ... put in four months' work of weekend wages at the tanning salon to pay for my share ... that money could've definitely been spent better in other places, we were barely making the mortgage at the time, but I loved every freaking minute of it and will never forget that party)

How about the one with the twin sisters in Cal. Threw a huge party at Hard Rock Cafe, probably spent close to 200k and when they asked one of the girls at the end of the night how she liked it, she says "that it was alright, just like any other party,no big deal. I'm ready to bed now"

I've seen spoiled kids, but not this spoiled!!

Okay, I'll admit it, I have seen the other episodes too! LOL! Especially on the weekends when Im folding clothes in my room.

I was trying to figure out why the girl from Roswell (I think her name was Natalie :rotfl: ) lived in utter poverty in Roswell while her dad obviously was not broke and living in California owning all these nightclubs and driving fancy cars. I thought she was very insecure.

My boys are 6 and 8 and are not the least bit interested but if I had girls they would need at least a "dont even think about it" warning.

I also thought about writing MTV because it does seem to smack in the face of all the young girls that cant have a party like that.

I grew tired of watching the "Fabulous life of" and "Cribs" but at least they were adults spending their own money which could at least inspire a young person to pursue their dreams if they are materially motivated.

When my oldest DS was 12, I came in the house and saw him watching MTV. I also had younger DS, 9, 6, 3. I unplugged the cable box and carried it into the Cable Company and told them if they couldn't get MTV out of my cable box, I was getting cable out of my house. I was given a parental guidance box and MTV has been locked out ever since. That was 14 years ago.

I caught one episode by accident, while flipping through the channels..

My only thought was, "If these kids are this spoiled now, what are they going to be like 10 years from now?" I feel sorry for the poor guy that marries one of them.. :earseek:

::yes::
C.Ann said:
I caught one episode by accident, while flipping through the channels..

My only thought was, "If these kids are this spoiled now, what are they going to be like 10 years from now?" I feel sorry for the poor guy that marries one of them.. :earseek:
::yes:: We said the same thing! These kids have such unrealistic expectations about what their lives should be like. In order to keep them satisfied, their parents will have to provide financial support for life!

DawnCT1 said:
When my oldest DS was 12, I came in the house and saw him watching MTV. I also had younger DS, 9, 6, 3. I unplugged the cable box and carried it into the Cable Company and told them if they couldn't get MTV out of my cable box, I was getting cable out of my house. I was given a parental guidance box and MTV has been locked out ever since. That was 14 years ago.

Holding tongue ... biting hole through tongue ... sitting on fingers to not crack the obvious joke that I want to crack ...

DawnCt1 said:

:rotfl2: Are we twins? It has parental controls on our cable too. *Some* and I stress *some* things are ok for my older kids - I didn't want my younger ones seeing it at all.

Danacara - I'm sure my post just put you over the edge with holding your tongue. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter