• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who did you book your cruise with?? DCL? TA? DU?? Pro/Cons?? Deposit requirements??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I am planning our first cruise. We are planning on a 4 day cruise to start with. It will be Dh & I and our 3 boys (9,5,5). I usually do all our travel arrangements. We have been to WDW many, many times. We are DVC members. We are looking forward to doing a cruise. Do you get a better deal through a TA?? I see DU is offering a $600 onboard credit per Stateroom. I think we will probably get 2 staterooms. Thats $1200 onboard credits. Sounds good. Any experience with DU?? What are the deposit requirements for a 4 day cruise?? TIA

I would check their web page. I believe the credit is up to $600 per stateroom, depending on the length of the cruise. I always book cruises through my TA. She belongs to a consortium that buys in bulk and gets discounted prices. However, DCL is usually the least discounted of the lines :( When I booked the cruise we are taking next week on the Disney Magic, DCL was offering a lower deposit, so it was $350 per stateroom to reserve. I am not sure if that offer is still in effect.

First, please check out the details on the shipboard credit offered by DU. It states on the advertisement that it's UP TO $600. If you look at the details, that would be for the 12 nite northern european cruise in a category 1-7. The credit for the same cruise, category 8-12 is only $300. The larger on board credits are being offered for the European cruises. A normal 7-night cruise has on board credit offers of $200/100 and the 3 or 4-day cruises are at $100/50. So depending on what category stateroom you were looking at, your onboard credit from DU would be $200 if you booked both rooms CAT 1-7, $100 if you booked both rooms CAT 8-12 or $150 if you booked one in CAT 1-7 and one in CAT 8-12.

Some people will book DCL (I believe they have a $25 credit when you book a certain credit - but I'm not certain - I'm sure someone can verify) and then transfer their reservation to DU for their on-board credit. Even more repeat cruisers book on board for the 10% off and larger DCL on board credit and then again transfer to DU (since they will combine their offer with DCL's but no one will combine multiple offers within their own business).

To date I have always booked on DCL and paid with my VISA. I've always had an on-board credit of $25. I am seriously considering transfering to DU (since so many people have had such great luck with them) and receiving the $100 credit. I myself would then apply most of this towards my tips.

Regardless, having that little extra from DU and also having someone to help if issues arise is priceless to alot of cruisers.

We booked with DCL for our first cruise. After reading the Disboards, we booked with DCL for our second cruise, but then switched to DU. We got a larger onboard credit by doing so. But I've also liked having DU there to answer my questions and make necessary changes. I'm someone who prefers to do most of my correspondence by e-mail, since I can write n e-mail whenever I get a free moment. And this works really well with DU. They've been really responsive, and helpful. (I've heard many people ask about how to get them via telephone, and it seems as if that's not as easy. But that's not a problem for us.)

We used ***********. I found it less frustrating than DU because you can talk to an agent from the start. They have been extremely helpful.

We used **********. I found it less frustrating than DU because you can talk to an agent from the start. They have been extremely helpful.

Totally agree with **********. , they are helpful, informative, and available by phone 7 days a week. Many people focus on the onboard credit and ignore that customer service can make a huge difference over saving money.

YIKES!!!! Let me just give you all a heads up: you are getting ready to receive a warning from the moderator!!! I used the same TA and love them, but that is a no-no word on the Disboard!! They are sponsored by DU... take the ta name out of your post!!! I got the warning a week or so ago!

We booked through DVC as we are members also. It seems that the trade off is points vs. on board credit. For us, a family of 5, booking thru DVC worked as we did not care much for the credit as our first cruise is only a 3 day. If we booked a longer trip then on board credit might intise us!

In 21 cruises, I've used a variety of TAs as well as booking directly thru DCL. I have a TA that I love. What I like--an 800 number where they will answer my questions before/during/and after the booking. A live person to talk to during "extended hours," not just 9-5. They are open evenings, weekends, etc. Not 24/7. but a lot more than 9-5. Agents on salary, not commission; this means that whoever answers the phone is willing to help me if the agent who did my booking isn't available. Knowledge and accurate info--I think all the agents have actually sailed DCL and been to WDW.

I can choose to communicate thru e-mail (and I sometimes do), but I can also use the phone. That's huge to me. Yes, I get an onboard credit based on the length and category of my cruise, but the service is worth more than the OBC.

:confused3
We booked with DCL for our first cruise. After reading the Disboards, we booked with DCL for our second cruise, but then switched to DU. We got a larger onboard credit by doing so. But I've also liked having DU there to answer my questions and make necessary changes. I'm someone who prefers to do most of my correspondence by e-mail, since I can write n e-mail whenever I get a free moment. And this works really well with DU. They've been really responsive, and helpful. (I've heard many people ask about how to get them via telephone, and it seems as if that's not as easy. But that's not a problem for us.)

How does this work?? You call DCL and get the date you want and then transfer it to DU?? How do you do that??

Small World Vacations was awesome to book through for a Disney cruise or vacation. I've never used a travel agency before, but they have fantastic customer service & are so quick to answer e-mail's, etc. They even looked out for discounts after I booked, and were able to find a discount code for me to use at the hotel the night before the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter