White Elephant gift

I like the idea of the themed gift basket. Maybe a "foodie" basket with a cookbook or some Gourmet magazines along with some exotic ingredients and some fancy kitchen utensils.

I never heard of the term "White Elephant" being used for a gift exchange. To me it means something expensive that has limited use and cannot reasonably be converted to another use, such as some Olympic venues. Or a newer large office or apartment building that has many vacancies for years.

I think the "garage sale" items at church bazaars were also called White Elephant.

I grew up calling that type of gift exchange a Secret Santa or a Pollyanna.

The gourmet food basket sounds good. People can eat what they want and re-gift or donate the leftovers.

When I was in Kohls the other day they had an area set up which said something to do with White Elephant gifts. Now I didn't really pay attention but I remember looking briefly as I walked by and they looked like gag gifts.

When I was in Kohls the other day they had an area set up which said something to do with White Elephant gifts. Now I didn't really pay attention but I remember looking briefly as I walked by and they looked like gag gifts.

Yes, white elephant gifts are supposed to be tacky, off color, gag gifts. That is why something is not right, no way would a white elephant gift be $100, it's more like $10-$20. Either someone at the company does not know what white elephant means, or they got the amount wrong and it's $10.

I believe the origin of the term was some maharajah saw a white elephant and thought it looked so exotic that he bought it. But an albino elephant can't go out in the sun for long, so it was useless for a beast of burden and need staff of its own to take care of it. So things are called White Elephant when they are useless i.e. gag gifts.

I'd do some sort of food thing. Harry and Davoid's basket. Or Godiva chocolate selection.

We do this at my work too, but our limit is only $25. Many people buy liquor which is fine. A few do gag gifts, which everyone hates.

What about a tablet, Apple TV, or Ruku? Some kind of electronic like that. My work also does a chinese auction of various gifts during the holidays, and the electronics are always popular. With all the sales going on this weekend, you can probably find one at or near $100.

OP, what have you decided to do?

Gourmet food basket ( Harry and David) or there are some unique gifts from Brookstone

I like this idea. I would get a large gourmet gift basket. There are many different companies that offer very nice ones. Wine Country Gift Baskets has many with and without wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter