Whispering Canyon or Ohana for dinner?

tinaw

<font color=CC33CC>If you hear a funny little "cho
We are trying to decide between The Whispering Canyon and Ohana for dinner. Our party will include myself my husband our 5 yr. old daughter (her first trip to Disney) and my parents ( in their early 50's) This trip is all "about the Princess" so what I really need to know what she would like best. The only info I have on either restaurant is from what I have read here. Something about ketchup, crayons and straws :) at WC and hulas at Ohana. Maybe someone could fill me in a little more. If someone has another/better suggestion please let me know! (We are already doing Cindy's dinner at 1900 Park Fare.) THANKS!!

Well, we had reservations for Ohana one night last week and decided to switch them to Kona Cafe...mailny because my wife decided to be a vegetarian and that really would not work too well at the all you can eat Ohana.

We did, however, go to Whispering Canyon and had a fine meal. I got the special skillet and it would have been enough to feed the entire family (I have two daughters who don't eat much). The meal started off with salad, biscuits and corn bread (awesome corn bread!!). Then they brought me a trough of meats - pulled pork, ribs, chicken, beef stew - and also beans, corn on the cob and some roasted red potatoes. When I had had enough of some of these items they brought out some more per my request. I think I ate enough for three dinners that night, but the food was tasty and filling. Guess it's good that we didn't do ohanas as well.

When we were sat they put us over by the fireplace so we were not in the center of all the activities. That suited my girls fine, but we sure did wish we could see more of the activity going on in the main area of the restaurant. If you want to be part of the action, be sure to request a seat in the "main dining room" (that's what I would call it) not over by the fireplace.

Service was excellent and quality was fairly good.

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy!!

:jester:

If you must go to Whispering Canyon, go for breakfast. They do a great job with that meal.

If you're thinking about dinner, then definitely try 'Ohana. The honey-lime salad dressing is delicious, the starters are all yummy and the main course meats are very good - if you don't like one, just get more of your favorite. The food is 1000x better than Whispering Canyon (which made me sick, I just could not eat the dinner there) and the atmosphere is fun and playful rather than loud and obnoxious.

We ate at Whispering Canyon back in November and had an awesome meal! Our family had the Canyon Skillet, which is the all-you-care-to-eat dinner served family style and the food was delicious. Meats were smoked pork ribs, slow-roasted pulled pork, herb garlic roasted chicken, pork sausage and beef stew. The entertainment was fun too...at one point the kids (we have four) were invited for a stick pony ride around the restaurant and received a Pony Express Certificate. And don't forget to ask for ketchup!

I can't speak for O'Hanas, since we've never eaten there. However, we are definitely planning another dinner for Whispering Canyon when we return to Disney in December!

We ate at both on our last trip in March and I LOVED both!!! I thought the food was excellent at both (although I am not picky) and the entertainment was great fun. We have a 5 year old son, and also at the time (he's now 2) a 20 month old...the 5 year old thought Whispering Canyon was GREAT! They have a large table of lincoln logs to play with while you wait for your table, or your daughter could also play with them while you are waiting for your food, and the stick pony races were a hoot! All the kids get a certificate for participating in the race and have to "promise" to eat their veggies, mind their parents and NOT go to SeaWorld.
3 of the adults in our party had the skillet, which, as described before, had several meats, corn, stew, beans, and potatoes. The biscuits, salad and cornbread were awesome. My Mom had the pork chops and she thought they were great as well. My kids had hot dogs and they were standard fare. They also shared the bread.

'Ohana was great too--I don't think my son thought it was as much fun, but we had a SPECTACULAR view of the castle and the fireworks going off. It was magical. Everyone in our party of 5 adults thought the food was marvelous. Great wontons, salad, chicken wings, and my dad and DH thought the shrimp was soo yummy. I liked the turkey and beef. My 20 month old must have had 10 pieces of pineapple at the end. My kids were picky about the food, so the server immediately rustled up some hot dogs. Oh they also serve this delish Hawaiian sweet bread before they bring out the appetizers- very good. My son participated in the hula hooping, but didn't really "Get" it and the also have a coconut race where they circle the restaurant with a little broom and a coconut...my son lost his coconut underneath someone's table and was crushed. I told him he could still go get some gummi worms so that made up for it (they give out gummi worms at the end).

Anyway, in my opinion, whichever you choose, you will have fun! And you will eat well! I think for me it would come down to whether I wanted BBQ or home cookin versus marinated grilled meats. Go to www.wdwig.com for their complete menus and maybe that will help you decide. :)

I meant to mention that our party included my parents (in their 50's) and my mother in law (early 60's) & everyone liked both restaurants- so we kind of had the exact same age group you will have.

Whispering Canyon is a great place for both food and entertainment! The antic that go on is hilarious. Oh, be sure you don't ask for extra silverware either!

I've never been to Whispering Canyon but was at O'Hana in March and thought it was terrific.
Great food, the appetizers are yummy (those wings are too die for!) and the meats were excellent! Definitely get a lot of food. The staff is friendly and attentive (hey "cousins"!).
The kids had a blast during the coconut races and the hoola hooping.
A very fun evening.

Enjoy whatever you decide (I'd do both!!)
:D

Sheryl

Did I mention 'Ohana. This was the best we had at Disney. Service, atmosphere and the FOOD is GREAT!!! DH, I, DS(2), DD(3) and a nephew(6) had a wonderful time. The kids even ate things I didn't think they would and my kids are very picky. I know this sounds so simple, but we loved the pineapple and caramel for dessert.

If I'm not mistaken...you pros correct me if I'm wrong. I think if you time your PS right and sitting close to the window you can see the fireworks.

I haven't been to WC before so I can't give an opinion on it. But anytime I hear of someone who is going to Disney I always tell them to do this dinner.

Tammy

And we like them both. Personally, I find WCC a bit more 'wild' than O'Hanas.

I think I like the food choices at WCC better - there is a menu, but also the all-you-can-eat skillet. But Ohanas had (as I remember it) a good selection of stuff, although maybe not quite as great for our kids (who had just turned 4 and 6 when we were there).

The view from Ohanas can't be beat, especially on a 'first night'. If you get a seat by the window, you've got a great view of MK and the castle. And, depending on time of year, you might be able to see the fireworks too (although we couldn't, since that would make dinner too late for our kids).

WCC has the pony race and the certificate, Ohanas has the coconut race and the worms (one of my kids favourite things on that trip, actually!). No hula contest when we were there (May/01).

The pineapple spears and caramel sauce at the end of the meal was absolutely fantastic (at Ohanas), assuming you still had room!

My vote, for a 'first-time', would be Ohanas (mostly for view, so ask for a window seat view of MK). For a 'subsequent', WCC (for the fun... my kids didn't 'get' a lot of it in 01, but now that they are 6 and 8 - they really get it and think the silly stuff is actually *funny*!).

HTH, Jeff

We had dinner at Whispering Canyon 2 weeks ago. I have a 5 year old son. It was wonderful. It was one of the highlights of our trip. My DS just lights up when he tells people about that night.

Our server was wonderful and included my DS in all the activities. Rode the stick pony races 2x, did the ketchup stunt (ended up with about 30 bottles of ketchup), he even was invited by our server to stand on a chair and sing "she'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes" into a microphone that broadcast throughout the restaurant. All of the other patrons were twirling their napkins and cheering him on. It was was one of those magical WDW moments.

It's loud and certainly not a relaxing meal but is a must do for our family.

From my kids point of view.....

3 votes for Whispering Canyon! They did the hobby-horse races around the dining room....great fun! Loved the food, loved our server....all around great time.

O'hana.....they didn't care for the food all that much (although I'm sure they didn't leave hungry....) nor the hula hoop *event*...just didn't fly with my kids....I was disappointed that THEY were so un-interested in the whole place......

Originally posted by Justinsmom
We had dinner at Whispering Canyon 2 weeks ago. I have a 5 year old son. It was wonderful. It was one of the highlights of our trip. My DS just lights up when he tells people about that night.

Our server was wonderful and included my DS in all the activities. Rode the stick pony races 2x, did the ketchup stunt (ended up with about 30 bottles of ketchup), he even was invited by our server to stand on a chair and sing "she'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes" into a microphone that broadcast throughout the restaurant. All of the other patrons were twirling their napkins and cheering him on. It was was one of those magical WDW moments.

It's loud and certainly not a relaxing meal but is a must do for our family.

Sound like DS had a very special time. My DD had one of those special times w/Cindy. All this fun talk about the WC.....This will be on my list in Dec.

What a shame that you can't do both. I wouldn't want to miss one! Weve been to both (my DH My DD she was 3 then, my neice). I love the fact that the kids are entertained here and there and I dont have to rush through my dinner through a chorus of "I wanna go".
My favorite is Ohana. The food is simply outstanding. Even my daughter loved it (she ordered off the menu at the time--they have a very accomodating children's menu.) I loved the games. She is looking forward to going back there to "play and eat".
WC is great for entertainment value too. I dont like the food as much, but the antics put on by the servers make it well worth it.
We are lucky to have PS for both in July!!

Dizzy Laura:tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter