Whispering Canyon opinions

natenkate

Earning My Ears
Hi! My son (age 9) and I are going to DW in August for 10 days. This will be the very first time for the both of us. I have all of our ADRs in, but I keep rethinking the Epcot day one. I first had Boma, then thought the food didn't really look like either of us would like it very much. I now have Wispering Canyon Cafe planned, but my son is very introverted, so am I, and don't really like having attention drawn to us, plus I read that it's a good restaurant for a large party. So now I'm rethinking that, not knowing if he will have fun with that or not.

Are there recommendations that might be better? Or should I just keep it and try it out and be adventurous haha. Thanks!

We went as a party of 8 back in 2010. My parents weren't up for the antics, so I mentioned to our server that not everyone in the party really wants to partake in all of the "fun." So, we got a "lite" version of WCC. All in all in, we liked it but didn't love it. The brisket with my bbq benedict was nice but the hollandaise sauce was awful. The raisin bread French toast wasn't bad, but also didn't live up to expectations. I don't think anyone at our table got the skillet.

If you're looking for a good breakfast that's a bit more low key...you might try Kona. While it's a bit of a walk, you can walk to the TTC from the Poly and just pick up the monorail to Epcot from there.

We have dined here twice once as a group of 17 and once as a party of 4. We think the food is awful and the antics are annoying.

Is this for breakfast or dinner?

Where are you staying?

I ask because the AKL is kind of off by itself, so I probably wouldn't go out of my way to eat there - unless I was staying at the AKL or it was on our AK day. (We usually go to Boma at the end of our AK day.)

Anyway, if you're trying to decide on breakfast, the buffet at Boma looks wonderful & gets awesome reviews!

We also enjoy the dinner buffet at Boma, & it does have some basic items on it like chicken fingers & mac & cheese & lots of fruit. However, if you know you're really not going to like the majority of the offerings, I probably wouldn't waste a credit on it if I were you.

We've been to WCC many times (but not for breakfast), & we go mainly for the antics - my kids love it. The food is just okay... sometimes it's good but never great.

Since this is your EPCOT day, have you considered any of the restaurants in or around EPCOT?

For dinner - Garden Grill, Coral Reef, Teppan Edo, Chefs de France, Rose & Crown, Cape May (at the Beach Club)...

For breakfast - the Cape May Character breakfast might be a fun way to start your day at EPCOT!

Or previous suggestions for the Kona Cafe or the 'Ohana character breakfast are also good - both are at the Poly. You could then either walk to the TTC & get on the monorail to go to EPCOT or you could take the monorail from the Poly to the TTC.

If you will be at Epcot that day, why don't you try one of the Epcot restaurants? In my opinion, Epcot has the most great restaurants and I always struggle to 'just pick one'.

If you stay at Epcot to eat, you will have less traveling.

With that said, if you keep your Whispering Canyon reservations, Disney CM's are there to help not to make you uncomfortable. Just tell them when you arrive that you and your son would prefer to stay out of the limelight. The last time I went, I don't even remember any craziness, which is good, because I tend to be like you and I don't want to participate that boldly.

The food took such a turn for the worse that I can't recommend the place any longer. They're just charging too much for food that is too often crappy.

We did not enjoy dinner at WCC at all. It wasn't much fun and the food wasn't very good.

Especially on an Epcot day, there are soooo many MUCH better options, either in the park or at a nearby resort. I recommend doing a little research to see what restaurants are in Epcot and at YC/BC and Boardwalk. Then decide what appeals to you most. If you still need help choosing between a few options in the area, try posting a poll on this board.

For what its worth, my family's choices in Epcot with an introverted 9-year old would be Les Chefs de France, Coral Reef or Via Napoli. Our actual favorite is Biergarten, the buffet in Germany, but you might be seated with another party, and that might be a turn-off for you. Those choices are for lunch or dinner. We usually don't spend time or money on TS breakfasts.

with the previous posters that this is not a place to eat. There are much better choices. You can try the Wave, Kona Cafe or any number of restaurants at Epcot, even the sidewinders next to the main restaurants.

WCC used to be great, but about 5 years ago they changed the menu and it went down hill badly. The interaction from CM's can be non existent or way over the top. No one has tried to create anything new in 10 years :(

what about cape may cafe for dinner? we went there last year at it was one of the best meals we had. cant wait to go back there. there isnt just seafood at the buffet either. we went there with a very picky eater and he loved it there. you wont have to worry about antics either and its easy to get to the beach club by boat from Epcot or Hollywood studios.

Our son had a melt down at WC before we even sat down to eat last time due to the noise level alone. We got room service of similar food and had a better time. Eat somewhere else and you will be fine. We all liked Boma, by the way, they had lost of good choices and familiar as well as unusual foods. Our kids enjoyed the hotel before. My friend loves Kona and O'hana and eats there, so those would be better choices for someone who is not into the loud crowd.

DS and I really enjoyed the food at Whispering Canyon Cafe Breakfast....

I had an omelet with Hash Browns and he had a mixed breakfast with pancakes... we were beggin for interaction and had a good time....

You can tell them if you prefer less interaction and they will respect that.

What concerns me.....

Is that it is your EPCOT day... I would NOT recommend an MK Breakfast for an Epcot day...

IMHO I would recommend finding an Epcot option...

EPCOT: Alkershus, Garden Grill

OR Nearby Epcot Resorts:

Beach Club: Cape May Cafe, Boardwalk: Kouzinna, Yacht Club, Swan, Dolphin.

Either way have a Magical Visit !
Mary

I would say don't go then. My DH hates attention and thought even though others thought it was funny, he thought it was annoying. It didn't bother me but I'm very laid back. We got the skillet for the dinner meal and it was good. You should try Cape May. I hear great things about it.

DS and I really enjoyed the food at Whispering Canyon Cafe Breakfast....

I had an omelet with Hash Browns and he had a mixed breakfast with pancakes... we were beggin for interaction and had a good time....

You can tell them if you prefer less interaction and they will respect that.

What concerns me.....

Is that it is your EPCOT day... I would NOT recommend an MK Breakfast for an Epcot day...

IMHO I would recommend finding an Epcot option...

EPCOT: Alkershus, Garden Grill

OR Nearby Epcot Resorts:

Beach Club: Cape May Cafe, Boardwalk: Kouzinna, Yacht Club, Swan, Dolphin.

Either way have a Magical Visit !
Mary

I would absolutely second this.....

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm thinking we will not go for that restaurant and go with another Epcot one. We already have Coral Reef, Teppan Edo, and Cape May for other days planned. I will look into these places suggested.

Chefs De France has good choices for a 9 year old? I upgraded him to an adult btw, I knew he would be unhappy with eating kids meals all the time, he's a big boy.

Thanks!

WCC is fun but the food is so so. We used to really enjoy it, but a few weeks ago we ate there and remembered why we dont eat there as much. Breakfast IMO is the best meal there. Antics arent as strong and food is better.

Boma is good, and you may surprise yourself that you like it. Try little bits of this and that, then go back for what suits your tastes.

Dont know your other ressies, but these are our must dos, so if you see recurring themes, it might help.
At MK: LTT, Plaza
Epcot: San Angel, Biergarten, Nine Dragons, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier
HS: 50s PTC, Mama Melroses
AK: Dont really have a sitdown fave here
DTD: Raglan Road
Resorts: Ohana, Kona, Boma
Another fun place is Hoop De Doo Review, fun show, food is comfort but very tasty

I agree with other posters. I would look into places on the boardwalk. We are going to Beaches and Cream on our next trip to try the no way jose. From what I read on here the icecream is wonderful here. Of course they are just your typical hamburger joint.

If you don't like being handcuffed to your server and marrying her against your will in front of the entire restaurant, riding a stick horse around the restaurant, or being tied to your chair with napkins until you finish your meal, this may not be the place for you. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter